Cleaning airbumps

Post pictures of your C4 Cactus here
Matressontheside

Cleaning airbumps

Post by Matressontheside » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:56 pm

I have seen recommendations for back to black products but I really want to know which ones last the longest. So these two bad boys start the experiment and I know they are crap but we need a control and they are left overs from previous cars (that needed very little of this TLC). So it's turtle v car plan and turtle was easier to apply but finish is currently identical. But lts the length I'm interested in. So join in the experiment n let's nail the best product for staying power. Will post an update in a week or so. K

IMG_0925.JPG

K

110 (of course) All black Flair with panoramic roof - Cheltenham. And I do wave.
Like crime fiction? Comfy Monkey - Robbery and abduction, or an inside job?

Keith

Re: Cleaning airbumps

Post by Keith » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Matressontheside wrote:I have seen recommendations for back to black products but I really want to know which ones last the longest. So these two bad boys start the experiment and I know they are crap but we need a control and they are left overs from previous cars (that needed very little of this TLC). So it's turtle v car plan and turtle was easier to apply but finish is currently identical. But lts the length I'm interested in. So join in the experiment n let's nail the best product for staying power. Will post an update in a week or so. K
I would be careful as I do believe the handbook says to use nothing but water on the airbupmps. Myself and I do believe many on here use Auto Glym Vinyl And Rubber Care without any problems with great results.

I'm not saying don't use what you are using but just be careful.
Shark Grey - Black Air Bumps - Flair 82ETG - Panoramic Sunroof - City Park pack.Image

ran

Post by ran » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:37 am

Keith wrote:
Matressontheside wrote:I have seen recommendations for back to black products but I really want to know which ones last the longest. So these two bad boys start the experiment and I know they are crap but we need a control and they are left overs from previous cars (that needed very little of this TLC). So it's turtle v car plan and turtle was easier to apply but finish is currently identical. But lts the length I'm interested in. So join in the experiment n let's nail the best product for staying power. Will post an update in a week or so. K
I would be careful as I do believe the handbook says to use nothing but water on the airbupmps. Myself and I do believe many on here use Auto Glym Vinyl And Rubber Care without any problems with great results.

I'm not saying don't use what you are using but just be careful.
+1
and I used to apply STP sun of a gun. Very easy to apply (just spray and wipe) and it's non oxide and can be applied on every plastic surface. But as said before the manual says to use only water.
1.2 Puretech 110 Sport Red with Black airbumps and Habana interior

History: Xsara, 306, C3 Picasso, C4, 407, C5, DS3, 3008

Cirias

Post by Cirias » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:41 pm

I've been using Astonish black bumper and trim spray, and I don't really know if it's made much of an impact. The bumps do look good, but no idea if they would look the same just washing with water?
Citroen C4 Cactus 1.2 Puretech [110] Flair S&S - Shark Grey

Vacuman

Post by Vacuman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:25 pm

For a £1 the Astonish is great for day to day sprucing up. I've found that the Autoglym stuff leaves a protective layer helping to repel dirt, always an advantage. The black stuff from ebay (K2 Pro Bono - £5.95) is also good as it adds a bit of colour back; fine scratches etc.

Matressontheside

Post by Matressontheside » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Didn't take long to start fading. The streaks are the bit that makes a new coat a necessity (if you want to keep the bumps black). I will see how it goes as the Carplan is clearly best of these two. Does autoglym last well?

IMG_20160904_170442.jpg

K

110 (of course) All black Flair with panoramic roof - Cheltenham. And I do wave.
Like crime fiction? Comfy Monkey - Robbery and abduction, or an inside job?

ran

Post by ran » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:48 pm

Matressontheside wrote:Didn't take long to start fading. The streaks are the bit that makes a new coat a necessity (if you want to keep the bumps black). I will see how it goes as the Carplan is clearly best of these two. Does autoglym last well?
Both are black? look like gray air bumps.
Try to use some STP sun of a gun (or even in hard cases a Meguiar's sealant that is also a non oxide product, but that's for a different time) and even after a wash the air bumps still shiny and not faded black.
1.2 Puretech 110 Sport Red with Black airbumps and Habana interior

History: Xsara, 306, C3 Picasso, C4, 407, C5, DS3, 3008

BristolRich

Post by BristolRich » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:16 am

Matressontheside wrote:Does autoglym last well?
In simple terms yes, it's very much worth paying the extra. The sprays as demonstrated by one panel above are false economy.

Use the sprays you have to detail the front grill inserts and use AutoGlym trim bumper restore gel elsewhere on the plastics. Believe me you won't regret it.

The gel has an element of control - apply and leave for Matt finish, or buff to shine. Either way the protection outlasts any spray and doesn't leave the streaky marks on the paintwork as shown above.

Whilst the "wash with water only" guidance have good intentions, it is impractical certainly during winter when road salt and dirt gets ingrained into the panels and cause the panels to turn the white. The gel offers some protection against this and certainly offers a remedy for removal.
2014 Hello Yellow Citroën C4 Cactus Hatchback 1.6 BlueHDi 100 Feel Edition
1998 Twilight Blue Mazda MX5 1.8 (In Restoration (Finished and Sold) :|

The2ems

Post by The2ems » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:12 am

BristolRich wrote:
Matressontheside wrote:Does autoglym last well?
In simple terms yes, it's very much worth paying the extra. The sprays as demonstrated by one panel above are false economy.

Use the sprays you have to detail the front grill inserts and use AutoGlym trim bumper restore gel elsewhere on the plastics. Believe me you won't regret it.

The gel has an element of control - apply and leave for Matt finish, or buff to shine. Either way the protection outlasts any spray and doesn't leave the streaky marks on the paintwork as shown above.

Whilst the "wash with water only" guidance have good intentions, it is impractical certainly during winter when road salt and dirt gets ingrained into the panels and cause the panels to turn the white. The gel offers some protection against this and certainly offers a remedy for removal.
I'll second that. :)
PureTec 82 manual, Feel, Shark Grey, Black air bumps, City camera pack

MaxM4XWW

Post by MaxM4XWW » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:16 pm

This is what you want, should last months:

Return to “Members Gallery”