Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a long term Citroen man and have been keen to try the Catus so I currently have a 4 day demonstrator and been given a 1.2 ETG. Frankly, I am shocked at the performance of the ETG gearbox.

A few years ago I had a C3 Diesel Sensodrive and that was great little vehicle, besides one problem with the gearbox in that it would delay when it shifted down from 2nd to 1st at the most dangerous times, say turning right against oncoming trafffic, but that was it's only problem.

The Cactus has the same problem a delay/lag in every gear up, down and pulling away.
Is this a problem with the low power/tourque of the 1.2 petrol?

And why the long reach down to the buttons for the D, R and N? Surely the control could have gone somewhere more intuitive? Central consol or combined with the paddles.

Cheers, Guy.

G

·
Guyrws said:
Hello all
The Cactus has the same problem a delay/lag in every gear up, down and pulling away.

And why the long reach down to the buttons for the D, R and N? Surely the control could have gone somewhere more intuitive? Central consol or combined with the paddles.

Cheers, Guy.
I've had mine for 20 months now and have had no problems with the gears changing, it's silky smooth and I don't normally feel it change at all, also there is no lag. The only exceptions can be if I am going uphill and come up to a slow moving vehicle and it changes down a few gears quickly. Also sometimes it can be a bit jerky in reverse unless you go really slow. Other than that I cannot fault it.

As for the selector, yes it is a bit low but as I normally press it once for my outward journey and then again for the return journey I don't find it a problem, of course sometime I will need to select reverse as well.

If you search the forum you can find a user reset for the ETG that some people have found effective.

Cheers

Keith

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have said this before. My last cactus was the 82 etg5 and I struggled with it for 18 months before giving up. I loved the cactus but not the engine gearbox combination which had the hesitation at low speed but was adequate at all other times. I have bought a 110 manual and am completely satisfied.

G

·
Aston said:
I'm worried about mine coming next week. :(
Why, I've had no problem with mine and there are other ETG owners on here who haven't had problems either. Some owners obviously have but I think they are a minority, but that doesn't diminish their annoyance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey, Have faith. An etg choice is a good one.
I have my 100 Blue HDI ETG6 for a half of year now. When bought, my car had 2000 KMs of testing. I felt like ETG was changing irregularly. After that, i've researched this forum and found the answer to my problem. I needed to make a gearbox RESET.

Keep in mind that this gearbox learns your driving style, but mine had mixed data input from all of the testers before. After resetting the gearbox, and driving 50 Kilometers, everything was smooth. Whenever I needed the car to accelerate fast, it does it flawlessly.

Then again, we need to remember that one of the reasons we purchase this car, is the excellent MPG, is a realistic figure and can only be obtain driving an ETG. When no sudden acceleration is needed, the sifts are being changed in the most economic point. Pair it with the start/stop functionality, small fuel tank and low weight, and you will get driving costs that even a student can afford.

I've never had a single regret with this car. It's designed, mostly for women, but can be mastered by men also.
(Unrelated topic)
Yesterday i drove over a concrete block 13by13 centimeters while driving at 60 KM/h, with both left tires. The car shook like it was battling an underground monster. I was so sad that i've missed this block on the road, due to being soo tired ... but also happy to see that the car miraculously withstand the shock with no damage whatsoever ( i had it tested today at the Citroen garage).

Really happy with the quality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, mixed feeling after reading the mails. I'm looking for a new car and am very attracted by the Cactus. My choice will be one with an automatic transmission. My mecanic tells to sort out of the Cactus has a hydraulic automatic one. If it is a so called 'robotizado' one (in Spanish) he is expecting problems after a couple of years.

Anybody can tell me more about this issue?

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
The early "robot-gears" for Citroen could give all kind of problems (Picassos from 2007-2009)....but I never hear of problems with cars from 2010-11 or newer.

This gear-solution is a std. gearbox, with a electric shifting-robot attached. This has a feeling like an american auto-box - not a supersmooth DSG from VAG.

I love mine - only when the engine is cold, i sometimes get a little lag, when i'm decelleration towards a road-crossing and then almost reaches full stop, but then decides that I can go on...then It sometimes lags, but apart from that i LOVE it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I am a long term Citroen man and have been keen to try the Catus so I currently have a 4 day demonstrator and been given a 1.2 ETG. Frankly, I am shocked at the performance of the ETG gearbox.

A few years ago I had a C3 Diesel Sensodrive and that was great little vehicle, besides one problem with the gearbox in that it would delay when it shifted down from 2nd to 1st at the most dangerous times, say turning right against oncoming trafffic, but that was it's only problem.

Cheers, Guy.
My Niece has just bought the cactus 1.2 automatic and the gear change is horrendous, it feels like the brakes are going on when it changes gear, it's only done 25000 miles, and is so dangerous when your pulling off at an island,

·
Registered
74 Posts
We run a 2019 1.2 (110bhp) with an EAT6 auto box. Excellent car, very smooth and ideally suited to this auto box.
Some comments on the ETG6 box v the EAT6 box, from Auto Express:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts