Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are The good, the bad, and the ugly things of my new Cactus, in my opinion anyway.

Ride Quality

The ride quality is very soft and gentle. I thought the 17" alloys and low profile tires will hinder it a bit but the suspension and long wheel base do a good job at giving it a comfy ride. The seats also have a 'sofa feeling' that after I go for a long walk I look forward getting back to.

All round visibility is good. I haven't noticed any blind spots yet like I have in other cars. I love the reversing cam.. Its viewing angle is perfect to calculate other cars, the kerb and so on.

Road noise is nil.. even though I have the 17 inchers. No tire hum, wind whistling and dashboard rattles like others have mentioned.

Engine and Drivetrain

I have the petrol 3 cylinder 82 version. When you open the bonnet and see the engine it looks quite small. It is. Compared to other cars there is a lot of space and it is easy to be fooled in thinking that the car needs to be floored to move. In this case it is not the case.. The 3 cylinder really gets the car moving at all revs. No need to press hard with your right foot at all, not even up a hill.
Fuel economy has improved with each fill up. I'm getting around 40mpg at the moment that is good for the traffic, twisty roads and hills here. In summer when I will be commuting to work and there will be less school traffic I am expecting over 43mpg. Considering the size of the car i'm happy.

Gearbox and clutch now. Mine is a manual, the gear change is nice, never missed a gear or anything or had any loose in the stick like someone reported here. The gears are high as well compared to other cars... The clutch on the other hand is something I really do not like. First of all it disengages right at the top as if you have a worn clutch on an old car. It feels strange and it acts strange. I have driven plenty of cars, even racing cars with pedal clutches and twin and triple plate clutches with no problems. Leaving from stationary in 1st gear is like an on/off switch: either you're not moving, or BAM you're gone!!! (sometimes).
I just cant get its 100% feel.

7" Touch Screen

Im a gadget man so I obviously like it. Very easy to use when stationary but it is quite distractive while driving in narrow roads. My eyes have to get off the road for too long to change a setting while im driving. The MyLink app on my mobile is very good. Certainly not a gimmick. When I went quite an uphill journey and then an hour later back downhill the Mylink app on my mobile showed me a difference of around 12mpg.. So it doesn't measure distance and time and just makes a calculation.. it really does measure the fuel consumed.

Last and not least Looks

Everyone at my work like it, and so do my friends. I see people starring at it when i'm driving by. And the look on there face is 'hmm this guy made a good choice'... lol.

Pros

I've had enough of writing.

Cons

I don't like the feeling of the clutch.

Thats enough for today... 1000 happy miles :D :D :D

G

·
Although I have the ETG I know what you mean about the clutch as it was like that on my old C4. I belonged to a C4 forum and found out it was normal for that car.

As you say it's like having a worn clutch in the old days. You will get used to it, I did and it did make for quicker gear changes. :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Only at 325 miles but have enjoyed all of them! Same engine but auto which rather than being a traditional turbine is a effectively a robotic manual. Gear change is generally very smooth though there does feel to be a very slight lag in power moving from 1st to 2nd when pulling away from lights. So far all urban driving so with it being so new 34.4 mpg.

Finding it very comfortable and really looking forwards to a few much longer drives coming up at the end of this month and later in the summer.

Cannot believe the compliments that the car has received from passing strangers and have had to pull out of a parking space and back in again a couple of times to demonstrate the park assist to friends. Do not think I will ever get used to the steering wheel doing it's own thing.

We have the 17" black wheels, dreading kerbing them as that really will show but finding the camera excellent for judging position against kerb and like the spec tyres stand well proud of the rims so offer some protection.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keith said:
Although I have the ETG I know what you mean about the clutch as it was like that on my old C4. I belonged to a C4 forum and found out it was normal for that car.

As you say it's like having a worn clutch in the old days. You will get used to it, I did and it did make for quicker gear changes. :D
I doubt I will Keith cos after 2 and a half months im still feeling its a hit and miss to get moving from stationary in some situations. And yes a friend of mine who had a C4 told me the same as you did.

I thank you for your support anyway..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ruairip said:
Only at 325 miles but have enjoyed all of them! Same engine but auto which rather than being a traditional turbine is a effectively a robotic manual. Gear change is generally very smooth though there does feel to be a very slight lag in power moving from 1st to 2nd when pulling away from lights. So far all urban driving so with it being so new 34.4 mpg.

Finding it very comfortable and really looking forwards to a few much longer drives coming up at the end of this month and later in the summer.

Cannot believe the compliments that the car has received from passing strangers and have had to pull out of a parking space and back in again a couple of times to demonstrate the park assist to friends. Do not think I will ever get used to the steering wheel doing it's own thing.

We have the 17" black wheels, dreading kerbing them as that really will show but finding the camera excellent for judging position against kerb and like the spec tyres stand well proud of the rims so offer some protection.
Your 34.4 mpg will improve. I was shocked at first with mine cos it started around the same. But with each fill up it has improved ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice review.
I've got the 82BHP version too, friends give me the "only a 1.2!!" Look when I tell them, and that the road tax is only £20 a year!
Everyone who see it, love it, seasoned drivers have told me the airbumps are genius, I see so many cars (3 on our street alone) with dents and scrapes along the doors.
I've seen several fellow drivers giving the Cactus an approving look when pulling up along side.
As this is my first car, I don't really have much to compare it against, yes it does have its own unique character, a real eagerness to be off and away, even with 3 adults, and 2 kids shoehorned into the car!
At 6'2" I will admit that I've had to find a slight compromise in driving position to fit my long legs in and avoid hitting the steering wheel, but I find the car comfortable none the less.
I've only had the car 2 weeks, so I'm still finding my way round the touchscreen, I've been using Google Maps on my iPhone as my Satnav, but I will give the Satnav in the car a go, along with the other functions.
The soundsystem in the car sounds decent, and it's great to have a DAB radio, reversing camera is fantastic too.
I initially thought I might have made an impulsive decision, going with form over function, but I realise now that it really is a great car, and my initial gut feelings were bang on the money.
Given the chance to buy again, would I buy the same car? definitely!
Citroen have hit that sweet spot between concept, cost and function, delivering a unique car, that looks fantastic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kevin said:
Your 34.4 mpg will improve. I was shocked at first with mine cos it started around the same. But with each fill up it has improved ;)
Thanks Kevin

Have no doubt that it will improve, our only bit of motorway so far was 35 miles at 48.4 mpg. Despite modern engines supposedly not needing running in I am not expecting to see valid mpg figures before about 3000 miles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bewar3them00n said:
Nice review.
I've got the 82BHP version too, friends give me the "only a 1.2!!" Look when I tell them, and that the road tax is only £20 a year!
Everyone who see it, love it, seasoned drivers have told me the airbumps are genius, I see so many cars (3 on our street alone) with dents and scrapes along the doors.
I've seen several fellow drivers giving the Cactus an approving look when pulling up along side.
As this is my first car, I don't really have much to compare it against, yes it does have its own unique character, a real eagerness to be off and away, even with 3 adults, and 2 kids shoehorned into the car!
At 6'2" I will admit that I've had to find a slight compromise in driving position to fit my long legs in and avoid hitting the steering wheel, but I find the car comfortable none the less.
I've only had the car 2 weeks, so I'm still finding my way round the touchscreen, I've been using Google Maps on my iPhone as my Satnav, but I will give the Satnav in the car a go, along with the other functions.
The soundsystem in the car sounds decent, and it's great to have a DAB radio, reversing camera is fantastic too.
I initially thought I might have made an impulsive decision, going with form over function, but I realise now that it really is a great car, and my initial gut feelings were bang on the money.
Given the chance to buy again, would I buy the same car? definitely!
Citroen have hit that sweet spot between concept, cost and function, delivering a unique car, that looks fantastic.
I see you have continued my review very well :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
Kevin said:
Keith said:
I doubt I will Keith cos after 2 and a half months im still feeling its a hit and miss to get moving from stationary in some situations. And yes a friend of mine who had a C4 told me the same as you did.
You will, honestly, I did.
The only real problems I have now are in situations where you plan to come to a standstill then decide you don't need to, but you are in too low a gear. It does get a bit awkward then. But otherwise all is fine.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Kevin said:
Keith said:

I thank you for your support anyway..
Are you sure your clutch is not faulty ?

I am a stickler for a decent clutch and gearbox and it was one thing I thoroughly tested before buying our cactus and its still as good as it was then. Plus I came from Japanese cars so I have a good yardstick to judge the cactus by

·
Registered
265 Posts
With regards to the clutch bite point, has this made hill starts tricky? I often have to queue on hills to and from work - one of the reasons I bought an automatic 10 years ago - and rarely engage the handbrake, usually just feathering the clutch/accelerator to keep me stationary. I've become quite good at it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Adrian said:
With regards to the clutch bite point, has this made hill starts tricky? I often have to queue on hills to and from work - one of the reasons I bought an automatic 10 years ago - and rarely engage the handbrake, usually just feathering the clutch/accelerator to keep me stationary. I've become quite good at it.
We have hill start assist on our cactus (not sure if its on all) but it works great. I as unsure of it at first but it just engages the breaks for 2 seconds once you take the foot brake off giving you ample time to set off :cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Same motor here (82hps). After a month and 1300miles, i still miss my old 2008 Civic with 140hps, but i'm sure i'll be used to his small motor. But for the rest i'm really happy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
**Are you sure your clutch is not faulty ?

I am a stickler for a decent clutch and gearbox and it was one thing I thoroughly tested before buying our cactus and its still as good as it was then. Plus I came from Japanese cars so I have a good yardstick to judge the cactus by**

That's what I thought that it is faulty. But a colleague of mine who had a manual C4 told me that his clutch was like that as well. Above our the same and similar comments. It seems like its a Citroen thingy. Its not bad that I stall on the lights or something. But sometimes I sort of launch quicker then I plan..

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
One think I have found with the Cactus and it can be a little annoying is sometimes when setting off I get a small (fraction of a second) dead spot like nothing is going to happen and then - off we go

It does not happen often but can be alarming on a busy junction

·
Registered
78 Posts
So far so good with the Clutch. with by 1.6 Blue HDL Diesel Manual Flair Edition. I see you mention the C4 I had one from new on 07 plates Forest Green, more like British Racing Green 1.6 HDL VTR plus with ESG brilliant car. I always called the Fly By Wire Car.800 miles on a full tank.

·
Registered
644 Posts
JohnYoung said:
One think I have found with the Cactus and it can be a little annoying is sometimes when setting off I get a small (fraction of a second) dead spot like nothing is going to happen and then - off we go

Yes I've found that. Have also occasionally found a random burst of power and shot out at speed. :lol:

·
Registered
265 Posts
lecoldartic said:
So far so good with the Clutch. with by 1.6 Blue HDL Diesel Manual Flair Edition. I see you mention the C4 I had one from new on 07 plates Forest Green, more like British Racing Green 1.6 HDL VTR plus with ESG brilliant car. I always called the Fly By Wire Car.800 miles on a full tank.
Had one c4 from new too, but 06 plates. 800 miles on a full tank. The biggest tank i ever had. That's why i brought another Citroën.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Mrsstuzilla said:
JohnYoung said:

Yes I've found that. Have also occasionally found a random burst of power and shot out at speed. :lol:
Yep that's true......

It does not happen often and its only slight but it can be a bit unnerving :shock:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts