Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for a new thread about this, i know there's another about actual economy.
So we all know that manufacturers have a very fine-tuned way of getting the max economy figures out of the test-cycle. That's fair enough, they all do it. But i'm really disappointed about the cruising economy of the Cactus. The 110 is quoted as:
- Urban cycle mpg : 52.3
- Extra Urban mpg : 76.3
- Combined mpg : 65.7
If i sit on the MWay at 75mph, without AC on a flat road, tyres at correct pressures etc, the trip-computer reads anywhere between 40 and 52ish. Lower than the quoted urban cycle! My commute consists of a few miles of start-stop, then 50 miles of MWay, and is averaging about 44mpg. I have no idea how to get it near 50, let alone the 65 combined fantasy figure.
Is anyone getting 50mpg out of this engine?

·
Registered
472 Posts
You could try not going 75 mph, your obviously going to have higher fuel consumption. Yes as you say we all know about manufacturers figures but you aint gonna get near it while your boot is heavy. How old or how many miles have you got on the clock, is it still tight?, I certainly get more than 50 at most speeds especially in cruise. But if I caine it over 70-80 it drops quite a bit, a or am I missing something. The figures they quote are not speed related but relevance to your localality. Just because your on a motorway doesn't mean you'll get more miles per gallon, especially if you're giving it some beans, so to me you're answering your own question. :?: ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
44mpg sounds reasonable based on your description of driving.

Important point with the 'urban' figure on the cycle - stop-start technology is engineered specifically to make this figure appear incredibly high, look at cars economy where stop start was an option and the difference between the non stop-start figure and on cars with it, it's remarkably often 30%+

As I say, your figure looks good - I used to get 41mpg out of a 1242cc Fiat Punto 60S that weighed 850kg, the Cactus is heavier, much faster, has way more kit and meets considerably more exacting emissions standards.

PSA have confirmed they will shortly publish a 'real world' figure next to the cobblers official stats, they believe the difference is some 30-40%...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to do loads of motorway driving in company cars - BMW, Merc - and I always found that cruise control at about 65mph gave maximum mpg (while I wasn't attempting to save corporate money, I saw it as a personal challenge to meet the companies "theoretical" figures. Was just me with minimum extra luggage/weight, tyre pressures etc checked regularly)

·
Registered
164 Posts
In my C3 Picasso (1.4) I managed better than the manufacturer declaration :) at 90 kph (56 mph +-) and as I tried it in different cars 90 kph on a flat motorway (with cool weather and no A.C.) was always the better fuel consumption. I even managed to do 750 km on a full tank in my DS3 (1.6 THP engine) I felt like I had the diesel version :p but I drove the whole time like I'm trying to break the Guinness world record.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My 110 is now at 800 miles and averaging 42-44 mpg with mixed driving. With some light foot and as the engine loosens up should be easy to get to nearer 50mpg and near 60 on straight motorway runs.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Driven with a leaded foot ;) but not around town a lot :(

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got 57mpg on a 180 mile round trip to Leeds, mainly motorway with some town stuff too.

I average about 45mpg in general as I only use the car for pottering about town.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vacuman said:
My 110 is now at 800 miles and averaging 42-44 mpg with mixed driving. With some light foot and as the engine loosens up should be easy to get to nearer 50mpg and near 60 on straight motorway runs.
Good luck with that - Mine's done 8000miles, so i don't see it improving much more.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FrankBullitt said:
44mpg sounds reasonable based on your description of driving.

Important point with the 'urban' figure on the cycle - stop-start technology is engineered specifically to make this figure appear incredibly high, look at cars economy where stop start was an option and the difference between the non stop-start figure and on cars with it, it's remarkably often 30%+

As I say, your figure looks good - I used to get 41mpg out of a 1242cc Fiat Punto 60S that weighed 850kg, the Cactus is heavier, much faster, has way more kit and meets considerably more exacting emissions standards.

PSA have confirmed they will shortly publish a 'real world' figure next to the cobblers official stats, they believe the difference is some 30-40%...
Maybe my expectations were too high - I'd expect 50+. My last car was a twin-turbo V6 PSA diesel. That averaged at 39mpg and was far heavier, auto, and faster. I'm just slightly incredulous that such lightweight car, with reasonable aerodynamics is not trickling through the petrol at a motorway cruise.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your old C5/C6/pug 407 coupe will have been at its most efficient on the motorway, 75 would be about 2000rpm or less and sipping on diesel - whilst the 110 Cactus is well revered the engine is working harder at 75 (3000rpm?) and of course sipping on less efficient petrol.

Around town I suspect the Cactus would streak ahead

·
Registered
78 Posts
With most engines you need time to bed them in. I have just sold my DS3 1.6 HDL Diesel Airdream as I await my new Cactus arriving to-morrow. At 17,000 miles that DS3 was getting better. I could get it up 70mpg on long stretches with controlled fast driving without the cruise control on

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I ordered my Cactus I was hoping it was as good as the Polo I had at the time on consumption.

When my Cactus arrived and I started using it around I was shocked to realise that it consumes more fuel then my previous car.

Both petrol and on paper the Cact should have been 20% more economic.

1000 miles later and it seems that I'm getting the same MPG as my ex Polo.

But now I have a bigger car, reversing cam, esc, 7" screen... and the list goes on. Oh, and a nicer looking car btw.

So with the same consumption and the above stuff I gained I'm satisfied.

And a 1000 miles ain't much. It might improve a bit more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, guys, I have 1.6 bluehdi, diesel, I did a trip last weekend, of around 80 miles, half motorway driving, the other half A roads. And I set speed limiter at 60mph before I set off. I achieved 62.7 mpg. My car has done around 2,500 miles.
So it may improve yet. No doubt we get carried away with the manufacturer speal, I found using the speed limiter a distraction, as you tend to look at the speedo all the time. Instead of just enjoying driving the Cactus. So my advice would be, drive sensible, but relax and enjoy your Cactus. I don't intend using the speed limiter unless I have to. Remember a heavy foot uses more gas. Lol.

Tapernade grey 1.6 bluehdi feel, take care everyone. Allan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 1.6 hdi. Is an ex demonstrator. I picked it up last week with 2500 miles on the clock and it is 2.5 months old. The trip computer has never been reset and showed 55.7 mpg for those 2500 miles. For a demonstrator I thought that mpg impressive. It probably had had not had much motorway high speed use though.

Roly

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
a1956p said:
Hi, guys, I have 1.6 bluehdi, diesel, I did a trip last weekend, of around 80 miles, half motorway driving, the other half A roads. And I set speed limiter at 60mph before I set off. I achieved 62.7 mpg. My car has done around 2,500 miles.
So it may improve yet. No doubt we get carried away with the manufacturer speal, I found using the speed limiter a distraction, as you tend to look at the speedo all the time. Instead of just enjoying driving the Cactus. So my advice would be, drive sensible, but relax and enjoy your Cactus. I don't intend using the speed limiter unless I have to. Remember a heavy foot uses more gas. Lol.

Tapernade grey 1.6 bluehdi feel, take care everyone. Allan.
Why do you look at the speedo all the time when the limiter is on ? The idea is you don't need to which is what I found it great for like on roadworks with 40 limit. It even beeps if you do drift over like going down a hill..... Works great

·
Registered
29 Posts
My in car reading is a constant 45.5mpg, I mostly do short commutes but I can be a bit heavy on the gas. Recently just did a 400 mile round trip and took careful note of how much fuel I used. Guess what, 45mpg again! Seems like it's locked in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi John, read your reply, I found I was going over the limiter a little bit sometimes, and as I was trying to get the best mpg, I found myself looking at the speedo.
Thing is, I am pretty deaf in both ears, so I did not hear any warning beep.
To be honest I did not know it did that. Thanks for the heads up. Next time I will listen and know if it beeps to slow down. Cheers, allan.

Tapernade grey 1.6 bluehdi feel.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My 16 plate 1.2 Flair averaged 49.7mpg over the last 150 miles, a good improvement from the previous 44mpg - mixed driving, a-roads, motorways and urban - driving gently of course.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
a1956p said:
Hi John, read your reply, I found I was going over the limiter a little bit sometimes, and as I was trying to get the best mpg, I found myself looking at the speedo.
Thing is, I am pretty deaf in both ears, so I did not hear any warning beep.
To be honest I did not know it did that. Thanks for the heads up. Next time I will listen and know if it beeps to slow down. Cheers, allan.

Tapernade grey 1.6 bluehdi feel.
Yeah its a clever idea and to be honest when we got the car and saw the limiter I thought "What use is that ?"

But after using it a few times its great, as I said in the average speed roadworks its brilliant - set it at 40mph and it sticks below it. It only goes over when going down a hill as it wont brake for you but it beeps instead

1 - 20 of 105 Posts