Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Cactus with the 17" black alloys and was wondering if you can fit alloygators to them for protection? I'm a bit worried about the black wheels getting scruffy.

I reckon a white Cactus with black bumps/alloys and white alloygators might look good :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
MaroonBells said:
I am thinking of buying a Cactus with the 17" black alloys and was wondering if you can fit alloygators to them for protection? I'm a bit worried about the black wheels getting scruffy.

I reckon a white Cactus with black bumps/alloys and white alloygators might look good :D
They look pretty cool, but better to contact the company as the FAQ are not conclusive:
https://www.alloygator.com/faqs/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Anyone know if the black alloys are diamond cut?? (whatever that is)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Keep well clear of Alligators.

Whilst the principle is sound (sacrificial plastic to prevent curbing) you need to be aware of a few issues with them...

If you do knock them (great they protected your wheel!), you need to be careful and can't simply drive away following the bump. You do not know how well seated the alloygator is following the knock and will be at greater risk of letting go and flail around flapping against the body work of the car. Overtime they also can become unseated through hard cornering or when the vehicle is loaded, again letting go and flail about.

Save your money and buy tyres with inbuilt rim protection (my Cacus came with them). Often sold at a small premium they offer a safer (and less hassle) form of protection.

The Black and Silver 17" Cross Alloys are diamond cut. The black versions are painted or powder coated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks BristolRich, I get what you are saying. How come you were able to get different tyres fitted?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ours has the 17" black wheels and, as BristolRich said, it came with the tyres with inbuilt rim protection so I assume they come as standard when you order those wheels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would say don't worry too much...I teach driving in mine, and I have the black 17" wheels. So far, any minor contacts with the kerb have left NO MARKS. I am very careful to avoid kerb contact, but with the best will in the world pupils catch you out! The design of the wheels on this car is such that the rim of the wheels are nicely tucked back from the edge of the tyre. I reckon any serious kerbing will probably affect the tyre more than the alloy. The DS3 I had before was a nightmare as the edge of the rim was almost level with the tyre wall, thus no protection. I ended up with lots of scrapes... :( The tyres with built-protectors sound a sensible idea though if you're concerned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine also came with types with the built in rim protector. I noticed as I was washing it. They are also those special fuel economy tyres that are supposed to have a lower rolling resistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts