Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Thank you.
I made a call yesterday afternoon, I've just received a message stating they will not assist due to the car being 7 years old and the case is now closed :(
Adam
This isn't what I hoped would happen with this post, I'm sorry you aren't being looked after properly - I presume you're stuck given the car was already being repaired but hopefully you can try and escalate this and get something back, especially given the price Citroen charge for their own part is higher than others charge for the same. At the very least you'd think they'd supply at cost and then charge for labour :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I'm in the same boat, I've had my Citroën C4 Picasso 1.6 blue hdi 2016 for 3 mths, 87k on clock. Never owned a car with Adblue before. Started at the weekend with loads of white smoke when I was reversing onto my drive, hubby investigated and said it stunk of ammonia and white sooty. No warning lights on dashboard. After a Google search with dismay realised its to do with the adblue and found this thread. Just took it to the garage provided by the dealer I bought it from non Citroën and ge confirmed tank needed to be replaced at £1700 , said it was an expensive repair. Where do I stand... currently I'm waiting for him to call me back. The garage also said they could recode the car to wipe the adblue system to prevent this from happening and stop it at a fraction of the cost but another quick search and realised this is illegal for public road use ! I'm really stressed about this. The car wasn't cheap and I can't afford thousands to repair after only 12 weeks after I bought it. I'm worried the dealer will try to avoid the repair completely. Will Citroën take it on at this age with 87k miles ? 🤔 Why have no warning lights come on, when hubby tried to pull any codes there wasn't any either ?

·
Super Moderator
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I can't be 100% sure my white smoke issue and then the tank pooping itself are part of the same issue because putting diesel in stopped the white Adblue cloud but then just after everything else broke and the warning lights / countdown started.

I presumed the injector got stuck open but it could just have been the pump starting to play up or something else.

Given you've not had yours long is the garage likely to offer you any kind of warranty?

Try calling Citroën but they'll want you to spend £120 on their own diagnostic checks before doing anything and might still say no :(

It might he worth trying to broker a deal with your garage on the basis you can get the part way cheaper than Citroën charge and labour should be about 2 hours - surely they'd offer some kind of goodwill gesture?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I'm in the same boat, I've had my Citroën C4 Picasso 1.6 blue hdi 2016 for 3 mths, 87k on clock. Never owned a car with Adblue before. Started at the weekend with loads of white smoke when I was reversing onto my drive, hubby investigated and said it stunk of ammonia and white sooty. No warning lights on dashboard. After a Google search with dismay realised its to do with the adblue and found this thread. Just took it to the garage provided by the dealer I bought it from non Citroën and ge confirmed tank needed to be replaced at £1700 , said it was an expensive repair. Where do I stand... currently I'm waiting for him to call me back. The garage also said they could recode the car to wipe the adblue system to prevent this from happening and stop it at a fraction of the cost but another quick search and realised this is illegal for public road use ! I'm really stressed about this. The car wasn't cheap and I can't afford thousands to repair after only 12 weeks after I bought it. I'm worried the dealer will try to avoid the repair completely. Will Citroën take it on at this age with 87k miles ? 🤔 Why have no warning lights come on, when hubby tried to pull any codes there wasn't any either ?
Hi,
Sorry to hear you are in that predicament.

I would definitely open a case with Citroen (0800 093 9393) however you will need to have it handled then by a Citroen garage as they want to do their own diagnostics (as @thetapeworm said above) and then they can give you a quote. With that quote, you need to go back to Citroen and start arguing your case.

The money they will contribute depends then on age, mileage, full-service history, etc. (at least these are the questions they were asking me on the phone).

Not sure how and where they coming up with their numbers but they will then tell you how much they are willing to contribute.

Regarding your specific problem with the no error codes coming up:

The independent garage I had my car looked at first quoted me for different problems with the car than Citroen (see above). They also then erased the error code (from what I understand) and Citroen couldn't find the fault at all however, my dashboard Uera light was still on.

The best thing to do probably is to take the car to the Citroen dealership and have them run their diagnostic, and whilst they do that open a case with Citroen, and once you have a quote make a compelling argument.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't be 100% sure my white smoke issue and then the tank pooping itself are part of the same issue because putting diesel in stopped the white Adblue cloud but then just after everything else broke and the warning lights / countdown started.

I presumed the injector got stuck open but it could just have been the pump starting to play up or something else.

Given you've not had yours long is the garage likely to offer you any kind of warranty?

Try calling Citroën but they'll want you to spend £120 on their own diagnostic checks before doing anything and might still say no :(

It might he worth trying to broker a deal with your garage on the basis you can get the part way cheaper than Citroën charge and labour should be about 2 hours - surely they'd offer some kind of goodwill gesture?
I'm waiting on the dealer calling me back today as when I bought it he said all his cars come with warranty for a year so I'm really really hoping he will honour his claim as I've nothing in writing to say that, it's a small local car dealer not a big named one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
Sorry to hear you are in that predicament.

I would definitely open a case with Citroen (0800 093 9393) however you will need to have it handled then by a Citroen garage as they want to do their own diagnostics (as @thetapeworm said above) and then they can give you a quote. With that quote, you need to go back to Citroen and start arguing your case.

The money they will contribute depends then on age, mileage, full-service history, etc. (at least these are the questions they were asking me on the phone).

Not sure how and where they coming up with their numbers but they will then tell you how much they are willing to contribute.

Regarding your specific problem with the no error codes coming up:

The independent garage I had my car looked at first quoted me for different problems with the car than Citroen (see above). They also then erased the error code (from what I understand) and Citroen couldn't find the fault at all however, my dashboard Uera light was still on.

The best thing to do probably is to take the car to the Citroen dealership and have them run their diagnostic, and whilst they do that open a case with Citroen, and once you have a quote make a compelling argument.
Thanks that's my next option if the dealer won't honour the warranty. He's ringing me today. I'll be contacting Citroen later today. Thank you so much for all this information. Its been very useful and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If they refuse, tell the bloke to remove the adiglue fuse and wipe the CPU for you. He may (or someone he nominates) wipe the CPU for you stick it on a rolling road, set it up and end these troubles. He may even give you a discount. It cost me £ 500 two years ago.Removing the adiglue is not illegal, how did Citroen, (Ford, who still sell this engine) VW group manage before they fitted adiglue on their engines, as they sold it for long enough without.

Because the dealer that sold me the Cactus went burst three years ago and my 18 plate car didn't have a extended Citroen warranty. And Citreon told me to pleasantly fuc& off and stop bothering them. As they could find nothing wrong with my system (apart from the dpf being full and the orange light of death being on and the car being unable to go faster than 65mph on the flat). As I had serviced it my self.

So be persistent. That normally pays dividends.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If they refuse, tell the bloke to remove the adiglue fuse and wipe the CPU for you. He may (or someone he nominates) wipe the CPU for you stick it on a rolling road, set it up and end these troubles. He may even give you a discount. It cost me £ 500 two years ago.Removing the adiglue is not illegal, how did Citroen, (Ford, who still sell this engine) VW group manage before they fitted adiglue on their engines, as they sold it for long enough without.

Because the dealer that sold me the Cactus went burst three years ago and my 18 plate car didn't have a extended Citroen warranty. And Citreon told me to pleasantly fuc& off and stop bothering them. As they could find nothing wrong with my system (apart from the dpf being full and the orange light of death being on and the car being unable to go faster than 65mph on the flat). As I had serviced it my self.

So be persistent. That normally pays dividends.
I,m sorry to hear you have had trouble with this as well. Thanks, they did offer to do that exactly what you described for that price but when I checked everywhere says that is a big no no and it makes the car not road legal? He said it's okay just don't say anything at MOT time. That made me nervous and although he said it would solve all the issues if still doesn't solve the initial problem of the faultly adblue tank plus if I ever wanted to sell it on in the future there would be implications I expect from recoding the adblue off the car. So I'm still waiting for the dealer to call me back. I will steer clear in the future of any cars that have Adblue, at this point in time I just want to hand it back but I know that's never going to happen :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer has responded quite nasty and basically said it's my fault I've broken it with not driving it properly! He will not honour any repair. I'll ring Citroen tomorrow. I'll have to try small claims to see if I can recoup anything back if Citroen won't. What a mess.

·
Super Moderator
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
It would he intriguing to know what kind of driving style could possibly result in this common tank issue because there's a lot of us doing it.

Unfortunately these local dealers either want to protect their long standing reputations and bend over backwards to help or are jyst horrible and wash their hands of any past sales in the basis repeat business means nothing to them :(

Fingers crossed other routes work out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It would he intriguing to know what kind of driving style could possibly result in this common tank issue because there's a lot of us doing it.

Unfortunately these local dealers either want to protect their long standing reputations and bend over backwards to help or are jyst horrible and wash their hands of any past sales in the basis repeat business means nothing to them :(

Fingers crossed other routes work out for you.
Totally agree, he falls into the latter category unfortunately. Thank you. I'm going to book it into a Citroen dealer and go from there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good luck trying Citroen, they may pooh, pooh your request if the car had more than one owner (who wasn't them or their nominated dealer network) Normally after the original owner, they don't see repairing it as viable (unless you want to pay Citroen's prices.) But as I said be persistent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I thought I would share my experience of this problem here. I drive an early 2016 Citroen C4 Picasso, with a 2 litre Diesel engine. I bought it second hand from a garage in November last year, it had only had one previous owner and had a full service history.

On 30th June my engine fault light came on while I was out and about and was followed a minute or so later by the emissions control fault. I did some Googling of this issue which is where I first came across this forum thread and thought it sounded familiar to my issue. I dropped it off at the dealer and asked them to diagnose it but before authorising any work raised a case with Citroen Central Office via the phone number on this forum.

I explained that I knew it was a big issue and said I'd ideally like to pay for only the labour charge. They came back with a 67% discount, taking the cost to £740(!). It's slightly disheartening to see that other members of this forum with older cars and more mileage have gotten bigger discounts but I'm glad they have. I do agree that it seems that this issue has gotten a bit more attention so Citroen are trying to cap their contribution all of a sudden - though in my opinion the fact that this is such a large and widespread issue means they should be increasing their contribution rather than decreasing.

Anyway, my car at this point is in the garage. I authorise the repair after they've told me they'll make a contribution but the part is on back order and the dealer can't see when it's expected to be available. I ask for a courtesy car but they don't have any. I ask if it's possible for me to take my car out the garage until the part arrives but they advise against it - fair enough. They do at this point say they can get me a hire car for free, which I agree to. They completely mess me around with this: no-one calls me to book or make any sort of arrangements. I was originally told by the dealer that I'm going to get a hire car on Tuesday, I phone them on Tuesday to check on this but the dealer says he can't help and that I should have been phoned by S&C Response, who arrange vehicle hires for Citroen. That didn't happen.

I phone Citroen Central Office to tell them how extremely annoyed I am by this and the person there arranges for me get a hire car for Friday. But when Enterprise (who S&G rent car from) get in touch, they say that a car won't be available until the following Tuesday. I relay this back to Citroen Central Office who eventually say that if I can get a hire car myself they will reimburse me until the hire car they've booked is available on the Tuesday. I'm told that they'll reimburse me up to £38 a day. I do some searching but the minimum rental cost from Enterprise and etc is actually around £50. By the time Citroen Central Office get back in touch to authorise that, it's the weekend and the costs have gone up to £125 a day, for four days until the Tuesday. They do eventually authorise that. I'm now £500 out of pocket.

I get my hire car (which is not comparable to my car, it's small and a manual, but at least it's something) and return it on the Tuesday, ready to get my rental car that Citroen have arranged. But then Enterprise phone me - there won't be a car available until Friday. I immediately let Citroen Central Office know and they agree to take an additional 10% off the cost of the AdBlue tank because of the hassle with the hire cars. It's something, I suppose. I have to carpool into work for the next couple of days and change work plans in light of the lack of car. But then thankfully the garage phones me on Thursday and says my car is available, which is great news. I go to collect it, pay the new discounted rate, and drive home. All is good.

Until I commute to work the following day. My commute is a 20 mile drive along a dual carriageway, with maybe five minutes of driving in a village on either end. I have an automatic car and use the cruise control on the motorway/speed limiter in the villages. I think is relevant because it shows that there is very limited scope for me to have mishandled the car or driven it in a way likely to damage it such as by driving in too low or high a gear or by speeding etc.

But on the dual carriageway, the engine warning light goes off. Then a little while later, the emissions control light goes off. I finish my commute and phone the garage and let them know the same issue has happened. I take it back to the garage and they are able to diagnose it for free the same day - the new AdBlue tank has exploded or had a leak in it. They say the underside of my car is covered in a white substance. I confirm with them that the fault is with the new part and therefore should be covered by its 1 year warranty. I get straight onto Citroen Central Office who can't believe it's happened again but immediately get a hire car - it's pretty decent this time round and reflects that I had an automatic and the highest trim level on my Citroen. Again, they don't know when the AdBlue tank is going to be available (presumably because many people are running into this issue, as this forum demonstrates!) but it's not an issue as they say I can just keep the rental indefinitely until it's sorted.

That takes me up to this week (the issue originally started at the end of June). I was told on the Thursday my car was available, so I returned the rental car at 8am on the Friday morning, got a lift over to the garage, collected my car and then headed off on my commute. All is good - until about 15 miles later, the engine fault light comes on. Then the emissions control fault light. I get to work, immediately phone the garage who say "this has never happened before" and I have to point out that actually they fit me with a faulty AdBlue tank last time as well. I ask what they can do in terms of a rental car. By this time I know that they have to get a backorder part number before they can book me a rental car. I ask if this can be waived but the dealer doesn't think he can do that. So I spend all day trying to get through to my case manager at Citroen Central Office. She does manage to get this sorted but guess what? No car is available until Tuesday and I can see on the email that's come through to me that it's going to be another compact, manual car.

I'm going to phone both the garage and Citroen Central Office first thing tomorrow morning to get an update and to see if the rental can be changed to a more suitable vehicle, but I am really at the end of my tether on this. I've not seen other people with this specific issue so I thought I post it here in case it's of use to anyone else. I am so annoyed and disappointed in Citroen.

·
Super Moderator
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Wow @kevinoliverwilson, what an absolute nightmare, it's bad enough to get the issue in the first place but for it to then be handled so badly is unacceptable.

Thank you for taking the time to share such a comprehensive insight into this, I hope they get this sorted to your satisfac and with some additional compensation for all 9f this extra inconvenience.

Please keep us posted, it woukd be incredibly intetesting to know what's gone wrong with the replacement or how they've been fitted as well as how Citroën take this case through to completion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
No luck bud. But at least your Cactus hasn't any electrical faults. Most of the Citroen's I have seen on eBay (for spares) have been set on fire. Now you know why. Either the driver has got fed up and set fire to it. Or it has set fire to it's self (my kind of sentient:p).
Glad I'm comp insured. No wonder some folks get rid of the adiglue systems software (me, I have) saved myself untold problems, and Citroen a few Bob.
Shocking after sales service. They should have done the repair for you gratis. Shameful way to run a auto company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update on my predicament:

I have had the car back since yesterday. The car is driving fine and the Urea light has not come on so far (still a possibility).
The cost was just shy of £600 and having to cope with one car.

I will check the motoring ombudsman over the weekend. Also going to contact Which and Watchdog

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, it's all gone quiet actually! While the last few times the replacement has actually arrived quite quickly it's taking quite a while this time. I phoned this morning they've advised the part is due to be with the dealer in 5-7 days' time. They've still not refunded me for the hire car I paid for though the dealer tells me this has been sorted on their end and it's with Central Office to release the funds. I'm due a call back later today on that point.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts