Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted awhile back about the best thing for cleaning the airbump and associated trim. I mentioned that it was Auto Glym vinyl/rubber care in the white/green bottle. What I meant to say was the Auto Glym Bumper care in the white/turquoise bottle. Its comes out a thick greenish goo, I've used this for years on my classic cars regardless whether the trim is black or brown. I've had my cactus for 6 months and only had to use this twice, polish first then go round with the Bumper Care, simples ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have been using it for years now it is called now, " Bumper and trim Gel ". It looks better than showroom condition from when I bought it 6 months ago.
Sport Red, Black Bumps 92 Hdi ETG 6.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Mark said:
I have been using it for years now it is called now, " Bumper and trim Gel ". It looks better than showroom condition from when I bought it 6 months ago.
Sport Red, Black Bumps 92 Hdi ETG 6.
I'd agree with it looking better than show room. Within a week of picking mine up I had white marks everywhere. Even round the edges of the wing mirrors.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had no problems with streaks on mine when I picked it up. I use the Autoglym just to enhance the plastics and bumps. It makes so much difference and lasts for weeks. Halfords have a 3 for 2 deal on at the moment, saves you £8 -00.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Absolutly well worth the extra money and have been using it my classics and everyday cars for years.

It has great lasting power and never found anything that is competitive. Its also adaptable through its application - wipe and leave for a matt finish, wipe leave and buff for glossy.

Mr Autoglym my cheque must be in the post by now?! :?: :?: :?: :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used it on mine a week after getting the car and it looks so much better than the showroom finish. well worth the money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting reading about airbump care & cleaning particularly as the details in the handbook + 'ready to go' pamphlet both warn about using polish on them in order to quote: 'avoid problems of premature aging'
My dealer had no idea this was Citroen advice and continue to polish them as part of their prep as well as valeting services. They certainly need a little more than just water as recommended. I've found that my savior in most things like this (particularly bird droppings) is Auto Glym's Fast Glass (it is not just for glass so the name is not obvious for other things) Having no abrasives, waxes & silicones its really works well on all plastics and trim used with a microfibre cloth. I keep a bottle in the side door wrapped in a cloth and tucked down near it a Specsavers Hi-Tech Lens Cloth (£2.50). You can use any old lens cloth - but this one is great quality. Dampen it with fast glass and you can carefully remove unwanted spots, grease, from anywhere on the plastics and paintwork - especially bird droppings that are fatal to paint finishes if left on.- as its a black cloth - you can see where you've been before and wash it out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I've had my Cactus for nearly a week now and my black air bumps on both sides have what looks like grease spots all the way along them. I am assuming it is from bushes I brush against on my journey to work (I travel down country lanes) but I am wondering what is the best way to clean these? I was at the dealership yesterday and asked if they had anything, but they didn't. He suggested I read the manual's cleaning section! I was kind of expecting him to say, "certainly we do and this bottle will cost you £20!"

I have read through the suggestions here on the forum, but none of the products mention whether they will actually remove marks like this, or whether I am supposed to remove the marks first and then use the product in order to protect and restore them?

Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, but I don't normally take much notice of my cars, but as my new shiny Cactus is so pretty and new I feel I ought to make a bit of an effort this time round!

Nicky

·
Registered
626 Posts
First of all, remove any residue with a clean cloth and I would try normal car shampoo and wash the car over as you would normally and see if this removes the marks. If not then I would recommend the AG Bumper and Trim cleaner.

The AG Bumper and Trim cleaner is a gel without abrasives and have yet not found anything that it wont shift of trim. I got diesel on the wheel arch filling up once and used this to clean the mess up no probs.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/wheel-tyre-cleaning/autoglym-bumper-and-trim-gel-325ml

·
Registered
316 Posts
Me too, AutoGlyn is the best. I took my car to the dealer last week to have the radio fixed and while I was there had a cheek to ask me what I used to shine the airbumps and plastics!.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax on the air bumps some time back and they look better now than when I collected the new car. They have not accumulated any marks or stains. I just tried it as I was using it to polish the car (which it did brilliantly with little effort :) and have been most pleasantly surprised. ) I originally bought it because I was fed up with white marks on the plastic of my C4.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also used Autoglym Bumper & Trim Gel the first time I cleaned the car - not just on the airbumps but the wheel arches, sills and bumpers too - really looked nice. Not only that but it's great at making any light scratches or scuff marks they may have picked up less noticeable.
Another thing I did was to use a "magic eraser" to remove any white polish marks from the plastic before using the Autoglym - a word of warning if you do though, don't apply too much pressure. Follow the instructions and rub really lightly - wipe over the area after each stroke with a clean soft cloth and repeat until the polish has gone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I know you've already said to be careful (please don't take this the wrong way) but I'd advise not to use those magic erasers. They are abrasive and work like ultra fine wet and dry paper. They are highly abrasive and will cut through any protective finishes and damage paint work.

The use of the AG bumper gel on any white polish marks will be removed thanks to the petroleum base. Any AG bumper residue on paint can then be wiped off.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes I did know they are abrasive and have been very careful to keep it away from any paintwork. I didn't know that the AG Bumper gel removes the polish so will consign the magic eraser to the kitchen cupboard :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice car, I have not seen a black on black yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey.

I see all of you have black airbumps. What if it is a more light color, such as dune or light grey? Would it still be smart to clean with a bumper cleaner? It feels like it will affect the color, but I am not sure.

On the bottle it says that it "restores the original color".

What do you think?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Robinjoeh said:
Hey.

I see all of you have black airbumps. What if it is a more light color, such as dune or light grey? Would it still be smart to clean with a bumper cleaner? It feels like it will affect the color, but I am not sure.

On the bottle it says that it "restores the original color".

What do you think?
I have yet to find the need to clean my "light grey" Airbumps with anything more than usual car shampoo products that I use on the paintwork, although I have done some cleaning of the black plastic parts on the bumpers and wheel arches.

·
Registered
316 Posts
AutoGlyn Bumper and Trim Gel is more like putting a shine on the Airbumps and plastics. I don't think it is a colour restorer just a nice sheen finish on all plastics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts