Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Joined
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to try the 1.2 turbo but I could not find one but found a 1.6 100bhp at a superb price so I had no choice in the end.

But I have read many reviews saying how good the 1.2 tubo (petrol) is

Anyone tried both is the 1.2 so much better with power etc than the 1.6 diesel :?
 

Registered
Joined
735 Posts
I had the diesel for 48 hr #LoveC4Cactus promotion and impressed by acceleration and quite running.
I had the 110 turbo for half an hour expecting it to be noticeably better, but it wasn't!
 

Registered
Joined
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cactus4us said:
I had the diesel for 48 hr #LoveC4Cactus promotion and impressed by acceleration and quite running.
I had the 110 turbo for half an hour expecting it to be noticeably better, but it wasn't!
Thank you for that I appreciate your honesty

I did ask a mechanic at a Citroen garage and he basically said the same as you but said the petrol 110 was maybe a bit faster accelration and felt a bit lighter (which of course it will be)

Just curious I see from your signature you have ordered a petrol verion - can I ask why ?
 

Registered
Joined
735 Posts
Low anticipation mileage and I heard that filters get clogged in diesels from low mileage . The 110 does have a "racy" roar :)
 

Registered
Joined
73 Posts
The techs I spoke to all said the diesel was the better choice.

Looking through the specs the 1.6 hdi has better acceleration and far better mpg numbers.
 

Registered
Joined
128 Posts
Cymro said:
The techs I spoke to all said the diesel was the better choice.

Looking through the specs the 1.6 hdi has better acceleration and far better mpg numbers.
Not sure what diesel you've been looking at - the comparison specs are below - fuel consumption is obviously going to be better but acceleration? Have to a agree with Cactus4us also, the petrol does sound good.

Oh and btw the Puretech 110 is international engine of the year.

http://www.citroen.co.uk/about-citroen/news/puretech-named-international-engine-of-the-year
 

Attachments

G

I test - drove both. Both good - but the 110 turbo feels a bit smoother, lighter, and more agile. So I ordered a 110 turbo (ETA early November)
 

Registered
Joined
73 Posts
Looked at the dealer paperwork this morning the petrol engine they had listed was 13seconds. Unless I was looking at the wrong columns,

It's nothing a remap won't sort out on the Hdi engines.
 

Registered
Joined
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone - I thought the petrol turbo would and should be quicker off the mark but just wondered if it was a HUGE difference

I used to have a Nissan 200sx Turbo and that was a great fun car - love turbo petrol cars

So would I be right in thinking the diesel 1.6 will be better up hills than the 1.2 turbo petrol (torque etc) ?

But regardless the offer we had was for a 1.6 Diesel - we had no other choice at the time it was that particular car or the next model down but even then there was no 1.2 turbo in my area - I looked
 

Registered
Joined
128 Posts
Cymro said:
Looked at the dealer paperwork this morning the petrol engine they had listed was 13seconds. Unless I was looking at the wrong columns,

It's nothing a remap won't sort out on the Hdi engines.
They would be the PureTech 75 & 82, both are 12.9 secs to 62mph.
 

Registered
Joined
472 Posts
:roll: Been saying it for the last couple of years, why buy a diesel engined car. Not worth the hassle,financial benefits are minimal, they're desperately trying to make them clean and failing because the 'powers that be' move the goal posts every couple of years. Look at VW fiasco plus Audi,Seat and no doubt they will find other manufacturers manipulating things just to achieve what those 'powers that be' say
 

Registered
Joined
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cactusjack said:
:roll: Been saying it for the last couple of years, why buy a diesel engined car. Not worth the hassle,financial benefits are minimal, they're desperately trying to make them clean and failing because the 'powers that be' move the goal posts every couple of years. Look at VW fiasco plus Audi,Seat and no doubt they will find other manufacturers manipulating things just to achieve what those 'powers that be' say
Yeah you might have a point, we choose the diesel really out of habbit as we have had them for years and the MPG on the cactus is amazing :shock: if true in the real world
 

Registered
Joined
313 Posts
Interesting debate, this one..I went to buy a pure tech petrol, of some sort, and quickly found out that there wasn`t any in the UK (certainly so for the C4 hatch). Certainly the dealer didn`t have any on the demo fleet and when I asked about build and delivery, dates were very vague. I did a test drive on a diesel and the salesman did say that the acceleration on the petrol was quicker than the diesel (and thats quick enough)..I dont do much mileage and quite a lot of `short hauls` but the deal on the diesel I bought was too good to miss..

As a point of debate I suppose, I asked one of the technicians about this latter point and he said that long distances at motorway speeds in 5th gear don`t do anything for the DPF regeneration, similar in fact to stop start round town..The only way to sort it is 3rd gear, at 50mph (3000 revs) for about 15 mins a month at a constant speed..Engine sounds awful but it does regen the DPF and off you go..Oh yes and he did say DONT use supermarket fuel because it has insufficent cleaning agents that these engines need.
 

Registered
Joined
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting so what fuel does he suggest ?

I was worried about the whole DPF filter thing with my Mazda when I got it but as long as you give it a good 'blast' now and again it will be fine
 

Registered
Joined
328 Posts
I have the diesel 1.6 100bhp and during my first 350 miles it's shown to be a willing engine with good acceleration. Not an extensive test I admit, but so far I'm happy.

But I'm waiting for the letter to drop on to the door mat for the recall (surely not!)
 

Registered
Joined
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blactus said:
I have the diesel 1.6 100bhp and during my first 350 miles it's shown to be a willing engine with good acceleration. Not an extensive test I admit, but so far I'm happy.

But I'm waiting for the letter to drop on to the door mat for the recall (surely not!)
Thank you for the feedback.....

So what's this about a recall - who said there was going to be a recall :eek:
 

Registered
Joined
313 Posts
JohnYoung said:
Interesting so what fuel does he suggest ?

I was worried about the whole DPF filter thing with my Mazda when I got it but as long as you give it a good 'blast' now and again it will be fine
He said to use regular branded fuel and from time to time stick about 拢15 of super diesel ie V Power or Ultimate in, due to the concentrated cleaning agents found in that sort..He actually runs one of these diesels as well, doing a fair bit of stop start apparantly.
 

Registered
Joined
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
paully said:
JohnYoung said:
Interesting so what fuel does he suggest ?

I was worried about the whole DPF filter thing with my Mazda when I got it but as long as you give it a good 'blast' now and again it will be fine
He said to use regular branded fuel and from time to time stick about 拢15 of super diesel ie V Power or Ultimate in, due to the concentrated cleaning agents found in that sort..He actually runs one of these diesels as well, doing a fair bit of stop start apparantly.
Ahh right I see - well that can be done especially with this car getting so many mpg it would be no hardship to put some super diesel in now and again
 

Registered
Joined
472 Posts
Check out the Daily Mail guys, its not just VW & Co, researchers have found BMW, Ford, Mazda and Mercedes are emitting levels of nitrogen oxides up to seven times the legal limit. Hence why I say why buy diesel, the 'powers that be' in Brussels have made it ridiculously difficult for these car manufacturers to adhere to. :roll:
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top