Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got us a '15 cact., 1.2, 82, but the car has only 16" and 17" rims approved. Talked to main dealer, and they only communicate through VIN of the exact car, so they blame the french, to have skipped the 15" for our model.
However, spare tyre is a 185/65/15 ET23.
I'm pretty sure, that all you guys have 15s listed as allowed and probably in 195/65/15 size (ET 10-25).

Its not only the tyre/rim price difference, but also winter ride comfort. I'm just opting for a winter set of 15" steelies, but without approval, no go on that one. Pretty dissapointing.
Would most certainly like to communicate directly with manufacturer, to sort it out, as I think it is pretty lazy of our main dealer to conform to given values, as every shop I call, to purchase new rims, they first offer me 15" 6.5J ET20.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a small relief, as ours is shine version also.

Are tyre inflation gauges a must to install on the rim or can they be overriden?

·
Registered
626 Posts
denis said:
Are tyre inflation gauges a must to install on the rim or can they be overriden?
They are (I believe) now a madatory requirement for EU Vehicle Type approval and hence driving without could be a breach of "local" law. However without them fitted I would expect that you might get the odd error being flashed up "Tyre Pressures Not Monitored" with a SERVICE light.

You used to be able to have them disconnected through Lexia, however as they are now a mandetory requirement I'm not sure this is the case. That said, seems a bit mad where vehicles are sold and Snow/ Winter Tyres are mandetory requirement....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have understood that there are no pressure sensors in rims at all. In Cactus low tyre pressure detection is based on measurement of rotation speed of each tyre. So, no problem with extra set of tyres. I haven't had any error messages although I don't have any pressure sensors in winter tyres.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a new one. Even dealer, who sold us the car doesnt know it. I'll look into it if it applies to our model and would be happy if it did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try to go into car´s service menu and see if there is an option to reset tire pressure data.
I am almost 100% sure all cactuses work the same way tire-pressure-measuring-wise :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
From what I've found by the magic of Google the sensor is inside the rim behind the valve. Which means that when the tyre needs replacing there's a possibility that the sensor may not work correctly if the work isn't done properly.
Also this system is checked as part of the vehicles first mot.

"Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) constantly monitor tyre pressures using tyre sensors in all four tyres.

Having TPMS fitted to your vehicle improves your safety as the system checks tyre pressure every few seconds reducing your chance of a blow out or accident related to incorrect tyre pressures. TPMS can also save you money as having the correct tyre pressure maximises tyre life and also helps improve fuel efficiency.

New vehicles fitted with TPMS and registered from 1st January 2013 will also have their TPMS system tested as part of the first MOT test carried out. This means if your vehicle falls into this category and the TPMS is not functioning correctly, you could fail your MOT test."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Janne said:
I have understood that there are no pressure sensors in rims at all. In Cactus low tire pressure detection is based on measurement of rotation speed of each tire. So, no problem with extra set of tires. I haven't had any error messages although I don't have any pressure sensors in winter tires.
This ^^
Do not over-think it too much. This is also the reason why you need to reset the pressure measuring option in the menus after you swap tires, adjust pressure etc.
This option will save the current data and compare future state against previously saved one - if there is a significant difference, warning comes on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is a quotation from Cactus user manual:

"The system monitors the pressures on the four
tyres, once the vehicle is moving.
It compares the information given by the four
wheel speed sensors with reference values,
which must be reinitialised every time the
tyre pressures are adjusted or a wheel
changed."

So, it uses the same sensors as ABS brakes. That is calles as ITPMS (indirect tyre pressure monitoring system), which does not require separate pressure sensors in tyres.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Must confirm that from my manual.
It calculates rotation speed of a wheel. Less air, greater wheel speed, compared to correctly inflated wheel.
So it is up to the user, to reset and initialise the sensors only after all 4 wheels are correctly filled.

Dedicated sensors would probably show actual pressure figures, not just presumable underinflation warning.

It was a scam from the dealer, whether unintentional or not, have yet to clear out, why they were trying to sell me the sensors, when we were discussing about extra winter rims.
They were not in the mood to pick a phone, or return a call today.

Took some photos of reset menu. Makes sense now.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts