Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just test driven an automatic cactus and was pleasantly surprised with all the negative reports I have read about the gearbox. I would like to know how the car is stopped from moving whilst parked on a hill, forgetting handbrake. On the last automatic I had a park position which carried out this function, but as there is no park position I wonder what safety precaution there is in place of a faulty or cooling handbrake when release can occur. I had a case of this of this, my fault not putting it in gear and the car ran down a drive across a road and wrote itself of against a tree.

·
Registered
185 Posts
View attachment 54

Copied from the manual, you can either put it neutral or gear, presume this means if you are facing downhill press R and vice versa.

The etg gearbox is not a true automatic but an electronically assisted gearbox hence no park function.

Attachments

G

·
As JohnC says.

It's the same principal as an ordinary manual gearbox although you can leave them in gear (but that doesn't mean they cannot move) point the wheels towards the curb a bit downhill and towards the road when facing uphill.

As for the ETG gearbox I couldn't agree more. I was a bit sceptical after reading all the negative reviews but found the one I tested fine. I have had mine just over three weeks now and find it excellent. I have no complaints. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
We love ours - still find the stop and start a bit unnerving but it just means you have to plan a little more at the lights and take it easier - really noticed that we and the kids are less aggressive when in this vehicle - the leather seats are just so comfy and love the sunroof - - had ours six weeks. ETG FLair S and S 82 - Black on black with parking pack and leather and purple trim.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Forgot to add that I have had mine since beginning january at first it felt a little hesitant changing gears. However
I saw somewhere you could "teach" the gearbox to change gear differently.

You do this by finding a quiet straight piece of road and from standstill accelerate hard all through the gears, then just drive as normal.

So I tried it and am sure it worked, well I like to think it did but it may be adjusting to a new driving style lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
As a former C4 owner and member of the C4 forum the above method sounds like the "hard reset" This is used to re-calibrate the clutch which otherwise needs a software reset. It does smooth out the pick up and gear changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts