Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many will know I wanted to try the 1.2 110 bhp petrol engine when I bought my cactus but none were available in my area so I have the 1.6 100bhp diesel.

Now I know all the reviews loved the 1.2 but what are peoples honest thoughts on their engine ?

My thoughts on my engine are its a lot quieter than reviews had me believe and it does pull well. It's good on hills but I tend to ignore the gear change indicator on hills and work the engine a little harder through the gears but it does well and is no slouch and I live in a very hilly area. I reckon on short hills it's as good as my old Mazda and that was 140bhp. The Mazda would pull away on longer hills though.

I have not tried the cactus on a motorway trip yet but longer stretches of country road it seems to do well and mid range power is also pretty good. Acceleration is OK to but I find it sometimes seems to hesitate for a second when first setting off but not always.

·
Registered
328 Posts
JohnYoung said:
As many will know I wanted to try the 1.2 110 bhp petrol engine when I bought my cactus but none were available in my area so I have the 1.6 100bhp diesel.

Now I know all the reviews loved the 1.2 but what are peoples honest thoughts on their engine ?

My thoughts on my engine are its a lot quieter than reviews had me believe and it does pull well. It's good on hills but I tend to ignore the gear change indicator on hills and work the engine a little harder through the gears but it does well and is no slouch and I live in a very hilly area. I reckon on short hills it's as good as my old Mazda and that was 140bhp. The Mazda would pull away on longer hills though.

I have not tried the cactus on a motorway trip yet but longer stretches of country road it seems to do well and mid range power is also pretty good. Acceleration is OK to but I find it sometimes seems to hesitate for a second when first setting off but not always.
I have the 100 diesel and I cannot find fault, it cruises nicely on motorways and has decent economy. Diesel engines are noisy when compared to petrol, but reassuringly-so :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 1.6 Blue HDi is a good engine in my opinion. It's very similar the engine in the DS3, but I find it quieter and generally more refined. With the extra economy too, it's got to be an improvement for me. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
We had the diesel for a weekend with the lovec4catus thingy Citroen did and also test drove a diesel at the local dealer as that was all they had. I must say I wasn't impressed by it in terms of performance, I found it lacked any go when you wanted a bit of extra speed in top gear, say if you were at 60mph and wanted to get to 70mph, you either had to wait and eternity for drop down a gear, not good on a motorway.
Perhaps it actually highlights the need for a 6 speed gearbox, I my opinion you expect to have to change down from 6th to get some power but you shouldnt have to on a 5 speed.
In most ways though I just found the diesel to be a average engine, nothing drastically wrong with it but nothing to get you going either.

If I'd not read such good reviews about the 110 petro,l which from my research always comes out as the engine to have unless outright economy is your priority I wouldn't have bought a Cactus.

Hopefully I'm impressed by the petrol when my car is delivered! Going by the figures and reviews I'm sure I'll be happy!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Last November when I went to test drive a Cactus I could only find the manual petrol in 82 form, even though I really wanted a 110. The 82 did not seem underpowered. I did however manage a drive in a DS3 with the 110 engine which confirmed to me that was the power train I really wanted.

No regrets about having the 110, which I think is a gem of an engine. I especially like its distinctive noise and its ability to move this light little car along quite quickly.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
markfoz said:
We had the diesel for a weekend with the lovec4catus thingy Citroen did and also test drove a diesel at the local dealer as that was all they had. I must say I wasn't impressed by it in terms of performance, I found it lacked any go when you wanted a bit of extra speed in top gear, say if you were at 60mph and wanted to get to 70mph, you either had to wait and eternity for drop down a gear, not good on a motorway.
Perhaps it actually highlights the need for a 6 speed gearbox, I my opinion you expect to have to change down from 6th to get some power but you shouldnt have to on a 5 speed.
In most ways though I just found the diesel to be a average engine, nothing drastically wrong with it but nothing to get you going either.

If I'd not read such good reviews about the 110 petro,l which from my research always comes out as the engine to have unless outright economy is your priority I wouldn't have bought a Cactus.

Hopefully I'm impressed by the petrol when my car is delivered! Going by the figures and reviews I'm sure I'll be happy!
Can I ask which version of the diesel you tried ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can I ask which version of the diesel you tried ?[/quote]

Couldn't be 100% but it was definitely 1.6 and I'm sure the guy mentioned blue hdi and also there only being one choice on the diesel side??

Not looking to offend any diesel drivers just giving my opinion on my experience of what was a relatively sort length of time with the car.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
markfoz said:
Can I ask which version of the diesel you tried ?
Couldn't be 100% but it was definitely 1.6 and I'm sure the guy mentioned blue hdi and also there only being one choice on the diesel side??

Not looking to offend any diesel drivers just giving my opinion on my experience of what was a relatively sort length of time with the car.[/quote]

No...no no offence my friend - just curious that is all. Yes I wanted to try the 1.2 110 but I am VERY happy with the diesel and coming from a diesel before its a good choice for us

There are two diesels (or there were) one was 94bhp I think and the other 100bhp - something like that when I read and saw reviews

·
Registered
644 Posts
Ditto. We wanted to try the 110 but they had a 1.6hdi at a good price with a very high spec so we went for that. We figured we wouldn't get another car with the same spec level for the price. Plus second hand cacti were like gold dust at the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the 110 petrol and love it .. Good mpg when around town and motorway driving is a pleasure ... This is the smallest engine I have ever had in a car and honestly say I've not missed the extra Hp or cc...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't say I've noticed any drop in performance compared to my DS3...I found that car very nippy for a diesel, and the Cactus isn't any less willing in my opinion. I think maybe it comes down to driving style - if you know your car and adapt the way you drive you can get the most out of the performance. I teach driving in mine as well as using it for personal use, and still get 60 mpg which is the best of any diesel car I've had :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Have to say, I know what Markfoz is getting at..I have the Blue Hdi 1.6 and in most respects its faultless..very quiet, powerful and economic..However, and I suspect this is down to gearing, it can take time to get it to go, especially if you are not used to diesel and need some sudden oomph (roundabouts come to mind)..

That said, this engine comes into its own in say 3rd gear on a twisty road where you are constantly adjusting the speed..It will sit in the same gear and when asked for extra power, then it delivers it in spadefuls :lol: Horses for courses, although the petrol (which was my first choice) will certainly hold its own against the diesel for some time to come

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got back from our fist long run in our 1.6 Diesel (100bhp) and it was a total pleasure to drive and be in. Engine was fantastic on all the roads and the car itself brilliant....

We all had big smiles on our faces and the seats are also fine on long rides and road noise on the 17" wheels was not a problem. Also not noticed any whistling BUT I did have a small squeak at certain times on certain roads on the dash somewhere...... but not all the time and I am splitting hairs really

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the 100hp bluehdi and I'm very pleased with it. It has enough power for the cactus. Personall, I'll be taking it to a friends rolling road and getting an ecu remap and up the power to 130bhp and a smidge more torque because why not make an already bonkers car, absolutely mad? I do feel that Citroën should have offered a slightly more powerful engine for some more spirited drivers.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.