Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Alloy wheel
My Key snapped IN the ignition today. COst £100 approx to fix. The key design is flawed it has a narrowed collar around where it inserts into the fob giving it a natural weak spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Warranty Claim (or warranty argument) right there ^...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Did it break like that with "normal" use? Or is there something your not telling us?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The2ems said:
Did it break like that with "normal" use? Or is there something your not telling us?
.....sounds like the dealer speaking!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
podman said:
The key design is flawed it has a narrowed collar around where it inserts into the fob giving it a natural weak spot.
What you call a flawed design is actually there for a reason. In the event of a crash and the driver being forced into the steering column, then the key will snap off to prevent further injury to the driver.

Saying that the key should not fail in "normal" usage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In normal use thank you very much! Dealer is replacing it. Advised it should take up to 10 working days, which could mean February :) First time the dealer has seen a car key shear like this apparently.

It will come pre cut to the car so I guess they have the master code of cutting it stored against the vin or that keys haven't changed since the old days when a handful of ford keys would let you into any ford.

Sent the pictures to my boss to show him I wasn't telling porkies when I had to go home early.

podman.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts