Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sure its "okay" to do so, however I wouldn't personally. Theres a lot of discussion online about the pros and cons of car washes generally, and as much on how soon to do so after the car is new - with the paint used these days its suggested that it needs to breathe and "fix" for a month or more before really thrashing it with bristles. The other thing is those bristles & flailing rags in the car wash can possibly be harmful over time.

I pay the chaps that do it by hand £10-15 down the supermarket car park

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't know, I did it myself. bought myself the Muc-off supreme car kit, and the Autoglym vinyl and rubber.
spent an hour or two washing ,waxing and cleaning the interior at the weekend. it's the small pleasures...!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know how you do it in GB, but here in Denmark there is no way anybody sane woud believe that old-man-talk about automated carwashers are ruining the paintjob.

When you fiddle arround at home, you'll never get enough wather in there, and therefore you just scrape arround little stones from the dirt on the car.

Test after test shows, that washing "by hand" is much harder for the paintjob.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
ThomasRath said:
I don't know how you do it in GB, but here in Denmark there is no way anybody sane woud believe that old-man-talk about automated carwashers are ruining the paintjob.

When you fiddle arround at home, you'll never get enough wather in there, and therefore you just scrape arround little stones from the dirt on the car.

I used to work as a car valet in a garage and we could always tell straight away which cars had been through car washes. They were dull and had very fine scratches all over the paintwork

G

·
I always pressure wash mine a couple of times before doing a hand wash taking care when near the parking sensors and camera. I then use a good shampoo like auto glym mixed slightly stronger to give a good lather.

Each to their own but I would personally always do it by hand.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Keith said:
I always pressure wash mine a couple of times before doing a hand wash taking care when near the parking sensors and camera. I then use a good shampoo like auto glym mixed slightly stronger to give a good lather.

Each to their own but I would personally always do it by hand.
I have used the men & women who wash by hand in local supermarket and they do a good job or I would do it myself by hand

·
Registered
101 Posts
JohnYoung said:
I have used the men & women who wash by hand in local supermarket and they do a good job or I would do it myself by hand
I prefer my wife doing it but by my own hand is better than a machine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The problem is that we can see the marks all over the car but i always wash by hand. It cames like that from Citroën. I'm sure they don't wash all cars by hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As I said....from a tecnical pov, there is no doubt - machinewash is much gentler on the paint. I had a Berling i had for 10 years and it was not faded. I had a Picasso till it was 9 years. Not fated.

What CAN happen is, that there are marks from leftover wax on the car, and some THINK that it's small scratches...but again washing by hand at home almost never introduces sufficiently water to wash away all the small particles, and therefore you end up rubbing them all over the paint.

BTW - have You checked with the autoclub. In Denmark and Germany the autoclub has done these testes, and they have not been in favour of handwash.

Another thing is, that washing DIY makes you wash all the oil and other stuff directly into the ground or rain-drains - thats not eco-friendly, with the washingmachines they have to clean all that away seperately - at least in Denmark and Germany.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
ThomasRath said:
As I said....from a tecnical pov, there is no doubt - machinewash is much gentler on the paint. I had a Berling i had for 10 years and it was not faded. I had a Picasso till it was 9 years. Not fated.

What CAN happen is, that there are marks from leftover wax on the car, and some THINK that it's small scratches...but again washing by hand at home almost never introduces sufficiently water to wash away all the small particles, and therefore you end up rubbing them all over the paint.

BTW - have You checked with the autoclub. In Denmark and Germany the autoclub has done these testes, and they have not been in favour of handwash.

Another thing is, that washing DIY makes you wash all the oil and other stuff directly into the ground or rain-drains - thats not eco-friendly, with the washingmachines they have to clean all that away seperately - at least in Denmark and Germany.
Sorry I have to disagree from the hundreds and hundreds of cars we (small team of us) washed at that garage you could see very easily which cars had been through a machine wash. It was not wax as we worked with waxes every day so knew them well it was very fine scratches all over the paint. We assumed it was maybe dirt and grit caught in the brushes and damaging the car.

BUT.... having said that this was going back quite a few years so maybe they use different brushes now I don't know but I would not chance it and of course you can get other damage to the car. I have heard people loosing wing mirrors etc in machine washes.

But each to their own - you like machine I like handwash :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
if anyone can remember the car wash scene from the film cool hand luke, that's how I would like my car washed please :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use the Muc-off Supreme Care Car kit.
I have 2 massive buckets of clean water, one for car shampoo/wash which I use with a massive microfibre shaggy mitt, but first I hose the car down before washing, then gently wash it, rinsing in clean bucket regularly, then I hose it down again and spray it with spray on wax, wipe of excess with a microfibre cloth, then with another buff it. then Autoglym the bumpers and airbumps with another clean cloth
I wouldn't use a car wash, automated or by a gang of people, as I know the cloths and cleaning sponges/mitts are all totally clean before use, and I know I will do a good job, and take my time.
I know it takes time, but I like actually cleaning the car and taking pride in something I own!

·
Registered
328 Posts
ThomasRath said:

I'll take my chances and continue to wash by hand :)

Rinse and wash a panel at a time, not the whole car. Avoids drying spots.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have to agree with JohnYoung. I worked as VP in a big car dealership. The grit and and dirt accumulated in those brushes is unbeliavable.
It is safe to wash a car in those machines only if you are the first in a line after a through cleaning that the crew should do every 5-10 cars and after a very dirty car. But in reality, they never do! Those brushes will scratch every coat of paint! We used to get scratched cars from the importer after their first wash when off the ship.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I also want to recommend Supagard, it cost £295 from the dealer which I opted for after making an overall saving, and worth every penny. It acts as a shield preventing flies etc. from sticking, and it's a pleasure to wash. No squeaky sponge scrubbing trying to remove tough on bits :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts