Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking around the forum since ordering our Cactus in August, thanks for all the handy tips, made setting the car up alot easier than it could of been without them, finally picked it up on Monday and must say I love it much more than I expected :D, one question I have is, since we picked it up the weathers been awful and has got grubby really quick :x has anyone taken their Cactus to the car wash? How do the Airbumps hold up? Just wondered as doesn't seem to make sense to handwash in this weather but want to keep it as clean as poss. :D

Thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive had mine cleaned quite a lot since I picked it up in September and not had any problems so far fingers crossed it should be ok

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to confirm, I meant in an auto car wash if that helps, btw Burky looks like you have a good taste when it comes to Cactuses or is it Cacti? :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Asked my dealer today ;) Just said unscrew aerial. :( Looks like you already have?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Personally I'd never put any new car through an auto wash, especially a black one. I won't even take mine to a hand wash - time consuming but I always wash it myself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can get a hand job! in our area for as little as 6 quid so I very rarely put our cars through a auto wash which would cost £4 upwards. To be honest though it's one of those things you worry about for the first few months and then revert to old habits (me anyway).

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Auto wash (machine) ruin your paintwork - I worked for a while as a car valet at a garage and you could always tell on the cars coming into the garage which had been thorough a car wash - Lots of fine scratches on the paint

·
Registered
472 Posts
Will never use these 'hand wash' places ever again. Wife took her CRV to one at Tescos whilst shopping (amongst other hand wash places) . Now I've retired I've taken over car cleaning duties. The state of her CRV paint work is awfull, scratches everywhere and I mean everywhere. The lights nearly failed the mot because they're so heavily scratched. I spent a little time watching one of these 'hand wash stations' and to be honest I can see how her car has got in such a state. If you want to keep your paintwork looking like new then do it yourself. Just think of all those cars plus wheels and these brushes/sponges etc barely get a rinse out inbetween 'washes' and especially in winter with all the road grit/dirt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were refused access to the carwash since they had a alert from the citroen garage that the roofbars might come off.
They told us the bars are glued on the car and that this glue might not survive the carwash brushes.

Hand wash it is.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
cactusjack said:
Will never use these 'hand wash' places ever again. Wife took her CRV to one at Tescos whilst shopping (amongst other hand wash places) . Now I've retired I've taken over car cleaning duties. The state of her CRV paint work is awfull, scratches everywhere and I mean everywhere. The lights nearly failed the mot because they're so heavily scratched. I spent a little time watching one of these 'hand wash stations' and to be honest I can see how her car has got in such a state. If you want to keep your paintwork looking like new then do it yourself. Just think of all those cars plus wheels and these brushes/sponges etc barely get a rinse out inbetween 'washes' and especially in winter with all the road grit/dirt.
Suppose it depends on who are there on the day, we used ours a lot in our local Sainsbury's for last car and they always did a great job

G

·
Suppose it depends on who are there on the day, we used ours a lot in our local Sainsbury's for last car and they always did a great job
I have to agree, I always used Sainsbury's on my old C4 for intermediate washes and it was always an excellent job, they used a cart and I presume used a water free cleaner but I wouldn't use them if it was heavily soiled. I also used a local hand wash that did use a high pressure lance and also sprayed something on the wheels but I noticed that this left marks on the alloys, so I always did heavy dirt washes myself.

On the Cactus I now only do it myself mainly because of the parking sensors, rear camera and air bumps.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bernd said:
We were refused access to the carwash since they had a alert from the citroen garage that the roofbars might come off.
They told us the bars are glued on the car and that this glue might not survive the carwash brushes.

Hand wash it is.
Something wrong with that info surely, if the roof bars are 'stuck' on and might come off in a car wash then surely they'll come off when luggage is tied on. That would render them not fit for purpose plus the danger on the roads etc. If thats the case they are cosmetic only, sorry but I don't buy it, I'd imagine the car wash people are 'afraid' of what they don't know and keeping there distance rather than risk an imagined ins claim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your replies, think we will stick to "hand jobs" when we are unable to do it our self's hahaha, as its left up to my wife to do as im a wheelchair user so its alot for her to do by herself when the weathers not at its best,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts