Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a C4 Cactus and I'm wanting to put a kayak on it for some summer adventures. Just wondered whether anyone has any opinion or advice on whether to get the roof bars on the Citroen Accessories website, vs Thule Aero bars?

http://www.accessories.citroen.co.uk/national-accessory-selector/C4-Cactus-Transverse-Roof-Bars-Set-of-2-1961/?modelId=880&categoryId=888&pageSize=10

https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Citroen&model=C4-Cactus&type=5-door-Hatchback&rails=with-roof-rails&modelYear=2014-plus&id=56

Thanks for your help!

Adam

·
Registered
265 Posts
From reading about them, the Citroen one looks to me to be more secure, although Thule have been making these things for years so should be okay really. You could possibly cut down on uplift by using a T bar so mounting the Kayak on its side which is how we always used to do it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the Citroen ones.

They clamp to the roof bars using a security type torx bolt so may be slightly less secure than the Thule lock mechanism.

Going by the pictures shown on the Thule site I would guess that the Citroen ones would stand slightly higher and as they have square bars are possibly less aerodynamic though given that a load will be attached this probably makes no difference.

The Citroen ones appear wider in that the clamp is on the underside rather than at the end of the bar so would probably give a little more usable space which might be a consideration if you wanted a roof box and a carrier.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thule - the wing bars are more aerodynamic and when you buy a new car then all you need is a replacement foot pack and they will work with that car where as Citroën ones you will have to sell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for the replies, that's given me some good stuff to think about. I think the Thule option might win it for me, as then if I have a second car or want to use a friend's then we can just get the foot pack rather than having to pay out for whole kit again. Will look into the Whisbars option too.

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for all your helpful advice and suggestions.

I went for the Whispbar Aero Bars in the end and they look and work great. I have them on permanently and haven't noticed any extra noise or drag.

I'm using them in conjunction with the Whispbar J-cradle kayak carrier which fits quickly and securely into it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anybody reccommend bars and a roof box combo?
Not looking for a big box (!) something value for money.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Taking the mother in law on holiday?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Muddles said:
Taking the mother in law on holiday?
Thankfully not this year. as she lives 6000 miles away!
I just need a set of roof bars that fit, and a roof box that works, that isn't expensive as I won't get that much use out of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts