Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Can anyone with an HDi Blue 100 confirm something for me please?

I'm suspecting I've got a problem with the cooling fan/sender on my car. At temperatures above 25c it seems to be very keen to come on even when the engine is cold.

I've just got in the car (cold engine) with a dash indicated ambient outside temp at 28c - 30c. Almost immediately after starting the radiator fan came on. This pretty much remained on throughout the journey through traffic (as you'd expect), and eventually got into an interrupted 3-4mile cruise at 50mph. Came to a stop the fan is still howling away. Odd considering the amount of air flow through the rad and cooler operating temps of a diesel.

I know 30degrees is considered melting pot temps here in the uk however in the grand scheme it's not 'that' hot...

Anyone experiencing the same?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you try going to the secondary page on the touchscreen to lower the fan speed?
The fan in hot weather frequently goes on with high speed seconds after ignition, quite regardless of the preset fan speed, and then gets down in a minute or two. It is advisable to lower the windows for half a minute or so to allow the air from outside to refresh the inside, which is always hotter.
Do you perhaps have a panoramic roof that, despite claims that it provides insulation from heat, still lets a lot of it into the cabin?

·
Registered
33 Posts
You guys didn't read the post. He is complaining about the radiator fan, not the aircon!

My apologies BristolRich but I don't know how to help. But I would say it's a normal behavior.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Whenever the A/C compressor is on and the ambient temperature is high, the radiator fan will go into a shrieking high speed. In Israel, this time of the year, the outside temperature is 30-35 C with 65% humidity and I can hear the fan working hard almost all of the time.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all...

It's Defiantly the radiator fan. It just seems odd that after being left overnight and most of a day no sooner do I start the car the fan is on and running straight away.

Defiantly not the aircon that is working fine :p

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the same engine and I have rarely heard the radiator fan turn on, I don't think this is normal. It must be a thermostat or sensor issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did read the post, I was actually referring to the radiator fan not the ac fan! As Primekart said, when the ac compressor is on and the ambient temperature is high enough, the radiator fan will come on as well, even from cold (just tried it on my HDI 100 from cold and the radiator fan is running straight away) You may not always hear it over the sound of the diesel engine depending on how fast the radiator fan is running. This seems perfectly normal.

·
Registered
644 Posts
BristolRich said:
Thanks all...

It's Defiantly the radiator fan. It just seems odd that after being left overnight and most of a day no sooner do I start the car the fan is on and running straight away.

Defiantly not the aircon that is working fine :p
You're very defiant today! :lol:

I don't hear the fan much in our diesel I must say. Will listen out for it tomorrow.

·
Registered
383 Posts
dereham said:
I did read the post, I was actually referring to the radiator fan not the ac fan! As Primekart said, when the ac compressor is on and the ambient temperature is high enough, the radiator fan will come on as well, even from cold (just tried it on my HDI 100 from cold and the radiator fan is running straight away) You may not always hear it over the sound of the diesel engine depending on how fast the radiator fan is running. This seems perfectly normal.
Exactly - the fan comes on whenever the A/C is on, it's completely normal

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well i have the same motor on my cactus, and the radiator fan is there all the time for me alos :( . The sad part is that it's SOOOO loud, it drives me nuts while driving in lower gears. :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mrsstuzilla said:
BristolRich said:
Thanks all...

It's Defiantly the radiator fan.
You're very defiant today! :lol:
Iphone auto correct... Smile Font Electric blue Logo Pattern

OK so it seems by the sound of it its normal behaviour...just unlike any other car Ive driven usually the two systems are not linked (only by hot water through the heating circuit).

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - after much searching I could not find the part number for the relay as the numbers on it are not the part number. The steeler relieved me of £90 to find out you can pay as little as £12 for one. On our 1.6 cactus100 hdi as soon as you pressed the Ac button the engine fault light came on and the code reader said there was a fault to ground.
Part number is 9827870080 and the relay has 98372a 01 moulded on it .
Hope this helps someone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts