Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

What grade of oil do you put into your Cactus?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1200cc Cactus Feel Puretech (2016) and in almost all search entries I get a recommended 5w/30 engine oil.
My local Citroen dealer advises an "EM:00W30 B71 2312".
Given there is no guidance in the official manual, will it really make any difference whatsoever whether you use a 0W/30 or a 5W/30?

·
Super Moderator
274 Posts
I'd have no concerns about the 5w-30 personally but not to top up over 0w-30, only after a full change.

There is a school of thought that says that you should go 0w if the manufacturer says so in case the engine can't cope with the ever so slightly higher friction of a 5w. This tends to be more of an issue at lower mileages and some suggest swapping to 5w as the car gets older anyway.

The 0w is a lower viscosity and might help with cold start emissions test results to keep the regulators happy but unless you're in the arctic circle and need zero weight from the off I reckon you'll be OK.

The key in my opinion is to use a good quality oil, check levels on a regular basis and change it when recommenced but I have a diesel and there are folk on here with far more experience of the petrol engines and oils used so please wait for them to reply before you dash out and buy oil :)

(Additionally isn't there an issue with these engines where they can suddenly start using a lot of oil? I've lost track now, there'll be a post on here about it)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your extensive reply. I would only add that in addition to the benefits you cite for the 0W/30, slightly better fuel economy might result from the lower friction?? With 33,000 miles on the clock, I think I will stick to Citroen UK's recommendation and have in the meantime ordered from Amazon 1L of Total Quartz Energy 0/30 for topping up.
For anyone interested, I have attached a PDF scan of what Citroen gave me as a guide.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
274 Posts
Makes sense if you're just topping up (y)

Fuel economy may well be better with the 0w but it'll be by fractions of a percentage I would think and not something you'd notice without being in specific test conditions.

For me there's some things you don't scrimp on, tyres, oil, headlamp bulbs and windscreen wipers but we all have different priorities :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Any (New) oil, is much better than the old cancerous (10 - 12.000 mile) stuff that's slopping around a engine and sump (or the impeller) on any turbo. Oil in today's market, is just that, a lubricant, it works at both freezing and humid climates. A multigrade. No need to spend sixty pounds on five litres of lubricant when the stuff from Aldi or Ldil does the same job.

Reactions: byzantian
1 - 6 of 6 Posts