Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, first post so font be too hard on me ok...

Took up the option of 24 hr test today and need to get your thoughts on mine.

My preferred option was the Flair 110 petrol but that wasn't available so ended up with diesel feel in white.

First , engine : quieter and smoother than I'd read it was - pretty good really , only hampered by the long gearing maybe.
Wind noise : I'd say this is an issue, that and road noise on standard steel wheels seemed a bit too obvious.
Drive : car is nice to be in and drive, with good boot spoiled only by non split rear seat - electronic dash could do with a rev counter I suppose but rest was better and more responsive than I expected.

Has anyone any news on next years model updates or revisions ? Also the 110 petrol engine, would be nice to know if tall geared like the diesel ..
I'm looking to get a PCP in January organised so all thoughts appreciated so I can make the decision on what model to order based on sound advice..

Thanks
Stuart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
The split rear seat is one thing I honestly cannot see what people get hung up about..... do loads of people have skies to go in the boot or something :?

On all my cars I can think of maybe one occasion when I only put half the seat down. The one feature my last car had which was great was pulling a leaver in the boot to drop the seats instead of getting into the back of the car.

The rev counter I totally agree, it would be very nice to have one and something with a digital dash that would not be to hard to do and maybe Citroen could even add it with a firmware update.

I have the 1.6 Diesel (100 bhp version) and find it a super car, just been on our first long ride (about 100 miles each way) and it performed lovely and was a comfortable enjoyable place to be. I also did not find it to noisy at all and the engine had loads of power to overtake when needed.

Also enjoyed using the cruise control for the first time ever (never used it on last car as controls were to awkward) and it worked lovely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Had to google "tall gears" - "Tall gearing may also be referred to the gear ratios: the step up from 1-2-3-4-5 should be smooth, as there should not be any un-necessary revving up in the prev gear to match the 'comfortable' speed of the next gear; fuel efficiency is the main reason to provide tall gearing."
At the moment I'm tending to obey the gear indicator ;)
The 110 is being held in check but occasionally I resist :)
I'd be annoyed if a split appeared in my rear seat :(
Btw what's 'PCP'? :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Stuarto said:
Hi folks, first post so font be too hard on me ok...

Took up the option of 24 hr test today and need to get your thoughts on mine.

My preferred option was the Flair 110 petrol but that wasn't available so ended up with diesel feel in white.

First , engine : quieter and smoother than I'd read it was - pretty good really , only hampered by the long gearing maybe.
Wind noise : I'd say this is an issue, that and road noise on standard steel wheels seemed a bit too obvious.
Drive : car is nice to be in and drive, with good boot spoiled only by non split rear seat - electronic dash could do with a rev counter I suppose but rest was better and more responsive than I expected.

Has anyone any news on next years model updates or revisions ? Also the 110 petrol engine, would be nice to know if tall geared like the diesel ..
I'm looking to get a PCP in January organised so all thoughts appreciated so I can make the decision on what model to order based on sound advice..

Thanks
Stuart
Drive: good, seats really comfortable. soft suspensions can make it bounce a bit though so watch your coffee (cup holder is rubbish)

Split seat: I knew it didn't split but I decided it was just a minor issue, but miss it for flat pack, ladders, christmas tree, trips to dump etc. but can always borrow wife's car.

Wind noise: Not an issue for me, but road noise on 17" inch black rims is dreadful. 16" alloys I drove on test drive perfectly fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Cactus4us said:
Had to google "tall gears" - "Tall gearing may also be referred to the gear ratios: the step up from 1-2-3-4-5 should be smooth, as there should not be any un-necessary revving up in the prev gear to match the 'comfortable' speed of the next gear; fuel efficiency is the main reason to provide tall gearing."
At the moment I'm tending to obey the gear indicator ;)
The 110 is being held in check but occasionally I resist :)
I'd be annoyed if a split appeared in my rear seat :(
Btw what's 'PCP'? :oops:
Personal Contract Purchase - deposit, monthly payments then optional final payment, walk away, put any equity towards deposit for new car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
Blactus said:
Cactus4us said:
Had to google "tall gears" - "Tall gearing may also be referred to the gear ratios: the step up from 1-2-3-4-5 should be smooth, as there should not be any un-necessary revving up in the prev gear to match the 'comfortable' speed of the next gear; fuel efficiency is the main reason to provide tall gearing."
At the moment I'm tending to obey the gear indicator ;)
The 110 is being held in check but occasionally I resist :)
I'd be annoyed if a split appeared in my rear seat :(
Btw what's 'PCP'? :oops:
Personal Contract Purchase - deposit, monthly payments then optional final payment, walk away, put any equity towards deposit for new car
Its very good and what we have used for our last two cars.... its win - win really as you can afford a better/newer car and be rid of it before any problems start. Yeah you don't "Own" the car as such but who does - its the same as any other payments option really as by the time you are getting ready to pay your car off its ready to trade in and start again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
I don't like the thought of never owning a car outright and don't fancy a big payment at the end to keep it. It's cheaper than a straightforward finance plan but we were warned against it by the local dealer. After all we traded in a car we owned outright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the comments, I'd say we're all on same wavelength although I have heard there are improved door seals now and also split rear seat maybe already in production..

Anyone knows if the gearing on the 110 HP petrol engine is long ie more than 23 MPH / 1000 revs in 5th or approx 3000 revs at 70 mph . This will help me decide which engine to go for as I like the lazy feel of tall gearing on the diesel but imagine the petrol being smoother..

Wife is pretty smitten after the test drive so I will need to decide something soon for Jan / Feb delivery - PCP again for me I'm afraid ..

Cheers

Stuart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
Mrsstuzilla said:
I don't like the thought of never owning a car outright and don't fancy a big payment at the end to keep it. It's cheaper than a straightforward finance plan but we were warned against it by the local dealer. After all we traded in a car we owned outright.
You don't need to pay a big payment if you don't want to keep the car and as I said after 3 years you are sometimes starting to get trouble like we had with our last car so you can just start again. Very few people actually 'own' their car anyway as its on finance so its no different in that respect..... Once you do pay your car off its usually time for another so finance starts again and you then don't own that one either.

Not sure why you were warned against it I know a few people who have used it (including us) with no problems and these people can easily afford to buy outright if they wanted but don't see the point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
With PCP you have to understand and be willing to accept the posibility of lower than expected residual values. If this is the case and you are not in the position to pay the balloon payment to own the car, then you have to hand it back and have no deposit for the next new one. This makes it a very expensive 3 years of driving in my opinion.
Something to think very carefully about on such a new model like the cactus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
I agree. Plus there are mileage limits I believe.

I'd rather pay a little bit more and know the car is paid off and is mine - over the same 36 months!

This is the first time we have ever taken out any kind of finance to buy a car. Have always bought outright until now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
markfoz said:
With PCP you have to understand and be willing to accept the posibility of lower than expected residual values. If this is the case and you are not in the position to pay the balloon payment to own the car, then you have to hand it back and have no deposit for the next new one. This makes it a very expensive 3 years of driving in my opinion.
Something to think very carefully about on such a new model like the cactus.
You don't need to hand it back you can trade it in which should cover the balloon payment depending on condition and mileage of car. But you are guaranteed to cover the price of the balloon payment as long as you stick to the mileage. You can go over and pay a small amount per-mile extra to cover the shortfall if you do go over or you can just trade it into a garage and then the mileage does not matter as long as garage gives you the balloon payment amount and it could be more so some to put towards next car

If you are in a position to buy a car outright then that is great but the PCP scheme is good for an extra option on finance with smaller payments for a better car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Mine will arrive in mid January I was told. I can already predict what the pick up will consist of since i'm a gadget guy.

I drive it out of the showroom.. A 10 min drive home or somewhere close.. very close. I park and start setting up everything.... Bluetooth, DAB Radio, Mediaplayer.. and I can't remember what else there is..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
JohnYoung said:
The split rear seat is one thing I honestly cannot see what people get hung up about..... do loads of people have skies to go in the boot or something :?

On all my cars I can think of maybe one occasion when I only put half the seat down. The one feature my last car had which was great was pulling a leaver in the boot to drop the seats instead of getting into the back of the car.

The rev counter I totally agree, it would be very nice to have one and something with a digital dash that would not be to hard to do and maybe Citroen could even add it with a firmware update.
Agreed...for me anyway, the split seat issue was a minor inconvenience if at all - The only time I ever use it conceivably is when buying a Christmas tree with 3 people in the car...and that's almost never! :D I did have a situation at Ikea a few years ago when we wanted to take some flat pack furniture and my then car had a split seat...but it was no good as we needed to put the whole seat down to fit it in - so ended up with me driving the furniture and my wife and daughter getting the train back home! ;)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top