Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
well I can add my 2c : my neighbor had his urea tank replaced twice (still under warranty). same warnings as you. ECU error is P20E8.
now I just got out of warranty ( 3.3 years old C4GP with similar Cactus urea system) and same error jumped too.
I am going to disassemble the tank to parts to see what happened. the tank seems intact. no urea leak whatsoever.
my hunch: technical failure of the injector/pump .
will keep you posted since it seems to spread...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
ok. updating: since C4 Picasso II line and C4 Cactus (September 2014+) share same urea tank I dived deeper into autodata and other documents.
there seems to be a change in the tank recently.
if your (1.6Hdi) cactus is using old AdBlue tank (part 9808378080) :my suspicion is it is doomed to fail prematurely.
you will need the new AdBlue tank which includes the new pump module and its part number is: 9818559280.
you can easily identify your AdBlue tank version by looking under the car ( I did it : took one minute to find the number). the number is on the visible side of the tank (not to far away from the rear right wheel).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
so I think 9812914780 is the new tank model
and 9818703780 is the old tank. but Citroen doc is really confusing and not releasing too much info.
can you verify with your dealer ? there are minor differences between the two.
 
G

·
Hi marios,so were did the number 9818559280 come from ,would citroen just update it every couple of years,must say our cactus runs super smooth atm just done 800miles from west midlands to portsmouth then around Normandy,really comfortable,even today in Worcester with aircon on ,keeps cabin cool and is quite quiet with it on,less than a year left on warrenty and we want to keep it ,but don't want any expensive repairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
k. so the C4GP tank has different size than Cactus but uses same pump/level detector/injector
so 9818559280/9808378080 is for the C4GP.
9812914780/9818703780 for cactus
the problem here is a manufacturer will not change the part unless it think there is a reason.
regarding the tank: it supposed to sustain 6bar pressure since it designed to work in some vacuum.
its very easy to test the tank is sealed . not high tech gear. every garage has the tool.
and yes, the fact that it is plastic makes it vulnerable to deformation (from hot asphalt).
 
G

·
That sounds like the old freelander 1,if the head gasket ain't gone we ain't fixing it,yet it was a design fault from the outset,doubt any of them never had head gasket done,hope citroen can do better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
i´ve been a happy owner of 3 year old cactus bluehdi flair until last recall, my cactus will die in 1.100 km due to emissions fault. Citroen dealer cannot diagnose the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Diagnosis done. Defective tank needs to be replaced. I expect the Citroen brand to take into account that this breakdown does not result from careless driving, but manufacturing error.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
I had the same issue, it required a new adblue reservoir and injector replaced under warrantee.

In my opinion, for a new vehicle, my car has had too many recalls from Adblue, bonnet lock, catalytic converter, new rear doors, new rear brakes (discs) paid by me, air-conditioning (several faults), paintwork, drive-shaft seal, and no doubt a few more I have forgotten to mention.
It is just under 4 yrs old 34,500 miles. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Rubik said:
I had the same issue, it required a new adblue reservoir and injector replaced under warrantee.

In my opinion, for a new vehicle, my car has had too many recalls from Adblue, bonnet lock, catalytic converter, new rear doors, new rear brakes (discs) paid by me, air-conditioning (several faults), paintwork, drive-shaft seal, and no doubt a few more I have forgotten to mention.
It is just under 4 yrs old 34,500 miles. :(
The safety recalls register available on line at the DVSA web site( https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp ) shows that over the period April 2014 (Cactus release date) to August 2018, many different Citroen models (not just the Cactus) have needed safety modifications/ rectification work.
In addition of course there have been other issues such as paint work, whistling door seals, leaking washer pipe work etc.

Its a sad reflection on the design capability and production quality control of a long standing car marque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
davew said:
Rubik said:
I had the same issue, it required a new adblue reservoir and injector replaced under warrantee.

In my opinion, for a new vehicle, my car has had too many recalls from Adblue, bonnet lock, catalytic converter, new rear doors, new rear brakes (discs) paid by me, air-conditioning (several faults), paintwork, drive-shaft seal, and no doubt a few more I have forgotten to mention.
It is just under 4 yrs old 34,500 miles. :(
The safety recalls register available on line at the DVSA web site( https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp ) shows that over the period April 2014 (Cactus release date) to August 2018, many different Citroen models (not just the Cactus) have needed safety modifications/ rectification work.
In addition of course there have been other issues such as paint work, whistling door seals, leaking washer pipe work etc.

Its a sad reflection on the design capability and production quality control of a long standing car marque.
My son has spent most of the last year getting BMW to resolve build quality issues on his £40K+ M240i, including such minor things as no paint where there should be, painted over dirt on the boot lid and rear bumper, faulty leather paint on the drivers seat, and more. He won't but another BMW, and he's negotiating with BMW directly for a refund so that he can go elsewhere. The point is, issues happen with all manufacturers, and my experience with Citroen is that when there's an issue they fix it willingly (at least through my dealer Wilcox's in Wickwar), whereas the premium brands (=ripoff for an in-fashion badge) are usually the most difficult.

I may change brands next year because I wanted a new Cactus but I don't like the facelifted one. And I'm indifferent to all the standard Euro-cars in the range, including the DS range.
 
G

·
srperry said:
davew said:
Rubik said:
I had the same issue, it required a new adblue reservoir and injector replaced under warrantee.

In my opinion, for a new vehicle, my car has had too many recalls from Adblue, bonnet lock, catalytic converter, new rear doors, new rear brakes (discs) paid by me, air-conditioning (several faults), paintwork, drive-shaft seal, and no doubt a few more I have forgotten to mention.
It is just under 4 yrs old 34,500 miles. :(
The safety recalls register available on line at the DVSA web site( https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp ) shows that over the period April 2014 (Cactus release date) to August 2018, many different Citroen models (not just the Cactus) have needed safety modifications/ rectification work.
In addition of course there have been other issues such as paint work, whistling door seals, leaking washer pipe work etc.

Its a sad reflection on the design capability and production quality control of a long standing car marque.
My son has spent most of the last year getting BMW to resolve build quality issues on his £40K+ M240i, including such minor things as no paint where there should be, painted over dirt on the boot lid and rear bumper, faulty leather paint on the drivers seat, and more. He won't but another BMW, and he's negotiating with BMW directly for a refund so that he can go elsewhere. The point is, issues happen with all manufacturers, and my experience with Citroen is that when there's an issue they fix it willingly (at least through my dealer Wilcox's in Wickwar), whereas the premium brands (=ripoff for an in-fashion badge) are usually the most difficult.

I may change brands next year because I wanted a new Cactus but I don't like the facelifted one. And I'm indifferent to all the standard Euro-cars in the range, including the DS range.
Your right there about big brands,freelander 2001 worst car ever ,head gaskets,not 4 wheel drive and everything else broke,2008 audi A4 2.0tfsi drinks oil at 1 litre every 600 miles,both times excuses excuses ,audi then on tv about it ,citroen however (my dealer Birmingham) quick to respond and repairs no problem (and to high standard),still good car , still interesting look to MK1 cactus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi everyone, just to give some info about my Citroen. Engine warning light came on a few weeks ago, then a few minutes later service and urea light. Have car repaired warning and won't start in 1500 miles warnings, which were a real pain. I topped up with adblue but lights stayed on even after a few days. I bought OBD2 and it said p20e8 and p204e, low reductant pressure and wiring sensor fault. I booked in with Citroen for the two recalls. By the time it came round most of the warnings had stopped but p20e8 was still showing. All dashboard warnings had gone, without doing anything (except for the adblue top up, only 6 litres). Citroen changed adblue cap and checked catalytic and said there were no faults showing. I've driven a few times and seems fine. Also one thing that came up while i was looking into it was dpf regeneration at high ish speed. Anyway, i don't know if my car is all better for sure but all i would say at moment is get those two recalls, especially adblue cap before spending too much on anything else. I was worried from what I'd read that i might need to spend a lot having adblue tank and pump changed but so far that doesn't seem to be required, cheers, Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
waynemitchl said:
Hi everyone, just to give some info about my Citroen. Engine warning light came on a few weeks ago, then a few minutes later service and urea light. Have car repaired warning and won't start in 1500 miles warnings, which were a real pain. I topped up with adblue but lights stayed on even after a few days. I bought OBD2 and it said p20e8 and p204e, low reductant pressure and wiring sensor fault. I booked in with Citroen for the two recalls. By the time it came round most of the warnings had stopped but p20e8 was still showing. All dashboard warnings had gone, without doing anything (except for the adblue top up, only 6 litres). Citroen changed adblue cap and checked catalytic and said there were no faults showing. I've driven a few times and seems fine. Also one thing that came up while i was looking into it was dpf regeneration at high ish speed. Anyway, i don't know if my car is all better for sure but all i would say at moment is get those two recalls, especially adblue cap before spending too much on anything else. I was worried from what I'd read that i might need to spend a lot having adblue tank and pump changed but so far that doesn't seem to be required, cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne - good detailed info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
gravystuffing said:
After nearly 6000 miles first the engine warning light then the urea warning light came on :x Then it started counting back from 750 miles to say the engine would not start :( I got it down to 600 miles before I got it to a dealer. The dealer couldn't deal with it for two days and then on the day said his diagnostics computer was down :eek: :eek: :eek: So he just topped up the Blu ( there is no level indicator) and reset the fault :evil:

I'm back on the road but I'm nervous about what will happen next :oops:

I suppose the best spin I could put on it is that the Blu was never properly topped up when the car was delivered as it is supposed to last 12500 miles.

Any other suggestions?
 
21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Top