Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.6Hdi Feel. Driving along at about 40mph and there is a bleep, panel displays 'engine needs repairing' the engine management light came on. Everything appears to function normally as before just the yellow engine light is now illuminated. Anyone experienced this? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has happened on a Saturday night. I'm contacting the garage Monday. Im hoping its still covered under a guarantee...

Meanwhile, besides the bleep warning on startup, it appears indifferent but does require looking into asap

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'd see if it comes on again when you start it.
The one light covers a multitude of error codes.
sometimes little things cause an error code and then it clears.
I had that problem with my Picasso years ago, usualy when it didn't know if it was hot or cold. after ten starts the code cleared from the memory.
never got to find out what it was, best guess was a temp sensor. Also had light come on with the C3 HDI. said it was a MAP sensor. happened twice in 2 weeks and not again in 4 years....go figure!
I think car ECU's are more like program logic controllers (PLC) than computers (PC). one missed input and it goes into crisis :lol:

your local friendly garage will have a code reader for the interface (you can buy them from Argos).

DON'T PANIC!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Have checked the diagnostic function to see what/ if an error has been logged?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mrsstuzilla said:
Hopefully it's nothing. Let us know!
My local Citroen agent said the Cactus is guaranteed for 3 years. It doesn't sound like anything which could damage the engine, it may clear itself BUT if its still on on Friday, (today Monday) ring them back to book it in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
berapotter said:
I'd see if it comes on again when you start it.
The one light covers a multitude of error codes.
sometimes little things cause an error code and then it clears.
I had that problem with my Picasso years ago, usualy when it didn't know if it was hot or cold. after ten starts the code cleared from the memory.
never got to find out what it was, best guess was a temp sensor. Also had light come on with the C3 HDI. said it was a MAP sensor. happened twice in 2 weeks and not again in 4 years....go figure!
I think car ECU's are more like program logic controllers (PLC) than computers (PC). one missed input and it goes into crisis :lol:

your local friendly garage will have a code reader for the interface (you can buy them from Argos).

DON'T PANIC!
I had a Xsara Picasso previously, the engine light came on, it was an oxygen sensor, the light went out after about four days never to come on again.
Meanwhile. the Cactus only sounds its bleeps on startup, still functions as it should, the agent didn't seem too concerned so leave it till Fri, today Mon.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mrsstuzilla said:
That sounds scary. Have you booked it into a garage?
Latest news on the management light situation.

Local Citroen agent say its to do with the adblue or urea and they are purchasing a tool to check this out.

Then they will require the car for a few more days to fit 'new parts' presumably to the exhaust system.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mrsstuzilla said:
That sounds scary. Have you booked it into a garage?
Latest news on the management light situation.

Local Citroen agent say its to do with the adblue or urea and they are purchasing a tool to check this out.

Then they will require the car for a few more days to fit 'new parts' presumably to the exhaust system.

I will keep you posted.
Rubik

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[/quote]
Rubik said:
Mrsstuzilla said:
Hopefully it's nothing. Let us know!
My local Citroen agent said the Cactus is guaranteed for 3 years. It doesn't sound like anything which could damage the engine, it may clear itself BUT if its still on on Friday, (today Monday) ring them back to book it in.
The car was picked up after a week in the garage, the garage had to purchase a special tool. The fault was the injector to the 'adblue' in the exhaust.

Three days later, the engine management light has come back on. Bloody furious, does the Citroen agent know what they are doing???
:( <SIZE size="150"></SIZE>

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final Update:

The problem was with the Adblue, the urea which squirts into the exhaust. There were issues with the tank and adblue injector. Citroen replaced the parts under warrantee, it has been fine since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts