Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my car used quite a lot of oil I got it checked, at 1000km it used approx. 6-7 steps (0.6-0.7 ltr)

Apparently there is a known fault with this engine so they change the engine under warranty. it must be less than 5 years and 150,000km
I unfortunately only have a link to a Danish website that describes the problem.

https://fdm.dk/nyheder/bilist/2016-12-lille-motor-med-stort-olieforbrug

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Citroen dit it, they switched engine block.. They used some of the parts from the old engine.
Dont think so ?
It's something with a thermostat inside the engine, but don't know that much about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's why I bought 2015 blue hdi, it is 1.6 engine and for the size of the car it's the minimum engine size it should have.

They're fitting cars with 1.2 engines & even 1.0 Renault does not so it needs less petrol or diesel but so it last shorter time.

Next time you want to buy a car make sure it is at least 1.6 if you want the engine to last.
Unless you want smart kind of car then 1.2 would do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"Next time you want to buy a car make sure it is at least 1.6 if you want the engine to last.
Unless you want smart kind of car then 1.2 would do."
Not as simple as that: Cactus is light, around 1000kg, so 1.2 in all states of tune is fine. Don't forget that the 308/3008 also use the 1.2 and they are several hundred kilos heavier.
Saying that they do have an issue with some puretech engines using oil. Mine has died and failed on emissions. Seems if you get a good one you'll be ok..

·
Registered
1 Posts
When my car used quite a lot of oil I got it checked, at 1000km it used approx. 6-7 steps (0.6-0.7 ltr)

Apparently there is a known fault with this engine so they change the engine under warranty. it must be less than 5 years and 150,000km
I unfortunately only have a link to a Danish website that describes the problem.

Lille motor med stort olieforbrug
Hello i think i have the same issue how dis you manage to change engine did you have warranty with the citroen,

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello i think i have the same issue how dis you manage to change engine did you have warranty with the citroen,
Yes, I had a service agreement for 5 years.
But this is not a requirement, you just have to have complied with all service and at an authorized Citroën workshop.
The car must be under 5 years and under 150,000km, I do not know if the rules have changed since I got this done in 2019.

But to find out if you have the error, you must first have taken an oil measurement. They fill up with oil and you then have to drive 1000km so they drain the oil and weigh the oil, if it has used more than allowed you are entitled to a new engine which they replace at Citroën's expense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I had a service agreement for 5 years.
But this is not a requirement, you just have to have complied with all service and at an authorized Citroën workshop.
The car must be under 5 years and under 150,000km, I do not know if the rules have changed since I got this done in 2019.

But to find out if you have the error, you must first have taken an oil measurement. They fill up with oil and you then have to drive 1000km so they drain the oil and weigh the oil, if it has used more than allowed you are entitled to a new engine which they replace at Citroën's expense.
I have the same issue with mine but as it is 7yrs old they won't replace it under warranty. They WILL cover the cost of the engine but not the labour which to me proves it's an engine fault. It's only done 69k miles, my last cars I sold had at least 90k miles on the one engine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts