Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you got advice upon purchase for running in the engine? I can't find anything in the manual and the mechanic just said to take it easy for the first 1000km just to be on the safe side as he wasn't advised any specific instructions for either diesel or petrol cactus engines...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been looking for same information my be post on main forum if no response.
Only done 350 miles taken it a bit easy so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The general consensus seems to be the first oil change is crucial, as most of the sump will be full of metal particles from the pistons and whatnot, but nothing on a specific procedure.
Vw doesn't mention anything apart from the oil change, bmw/Mercedes specify various rpm at certain km/miles, yet I can't find anything on psa engines. I guess I'll probably keep it easy for the first 1000km... My only worry is clogging the dpf filter during this time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when it was essential to 'run-in' an engine on a brand new car. However with modern engines it is not so important. For interest though, here is the advice given by the AA on the subject.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/running-in-a-new-car.html

They do recommend taking it easy for an initial period and on a diesel keeping the revs below 3000.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
626 Posts
There is no run in period for PSA engines...however obvious care for the first 1000 miles or so wont go a miss.

Older PSA engines used to have a 250 or 500 mile oil change/ "check up" which was to drain away an particles from the running in period. This has been removed from the schedules for a good 10years+ now.

Mrsstuzilla said:
Hard to keep revs below a certain level when there's no rev counter. ;)
:lol:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Has to be said, though, that your ear is a pretty good rev counter :) I had a rev counter in my pld C4 but never really looked at it. Mechanical sympathy rules!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Have to agree with Dadioglasgow. I use rev counter to check which gear I'm in, i.e. speed/10 needs to be twice rev /1000 But with the Cactus I'll have the gear indicator :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I was actually talking to my wife about this and I also remember you had to run an engine it but I am sure engines now are pre-run in the factory....

I could be wrong though......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.