Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 110hp petrol cactus came up with the following warning messages yesterday:
ESP/ASR system fault. Have vehicle repaired.
ABS braking system fault. Have vehicle repaired.
Tyre inflation detection system fault.
Maintenance.
Also that Hill start assist had a fault.
Vehicle drives fine. One tyre was low on pressure so checked them all but system won't reset.
Obdii reader tool shows NO fault codes.
Any ideas please?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
240 Posts
Hi @glomel - I missed your earlier post on this but if you don't get replies try to resist posting the same thing again, just bump the old one if necessary :)

Given the range of warnings being delivered to you it's highly unlikely all of those systems have failed so there's most likely something central to this amiss, given the ESP ECU controls the ESP functions, the ABS, the electronic handbrake and subsequently, the Hill Start Assist function all signs point to an issue leading to that but it can be caused by other things.

I can't recall if the tyre inflation in the Cactus uses sensors in the wheels or, like some other models, uses the wheel speed sensors / ABS sensor - it could be one of these is dirty, has a loose or damaged wire, is completely broken or something else completely like the steering angle sensor is playing up. It could even be wiring leading to any of these, some of which runs under seats etc

What OBD are you using? I found some generic ones couldn't pull codes from the car but using the Torque app revealed more information, if this is an option for you give it a try, otherwise you're probably looking to pay for a proper diagnostic check with the right kit (or DiagBox) to get answers.

Have the wheels been off for any reason recently?

Unfortunately I don't have a quick "it's this" answer but hopefully with a bit more investigation you can get to the bottom of it, start by having a poke around behind the wheels to check the wiring is OK and see if you can clean any obvious filth from under there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Don't really understand "bumping" posts but will read up on it!
I got it checked by a local (for France) english auto technician His diagnostic tool pointed to nsf abs sensor - showed a speed of 600km/hr! I took it out when I got home and found it looked like this. I have ordered a new one and will post result (positive I hope).

Bicycle part Wood Font Tool Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
|Sensor changed and all lights and warning sounds off. Next problem which came to light whilst changing front pads - drivers side locking wheel stud has damage and locking nut keeps slipping off. Only saving grace is it happened at home and not on the motorway! Any ideas on how to remove it any-one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the problem arose from trying to use the supplied wheel brace to undo the overtightened locking nuts. A breaker bar (which allows you to get a 90 degree angle to the socket), a club hammer and plenty of well placed whacks got it off. Picked up a new set from Citroen (€60! - always costs more when you need something immediately) and all sorted. Breaker bar will be staying in the car from now on. Why manufacturers insist on supplying a wheel brace which doesn't run at 90 degrees to the wheel nuts is beyond me. Thanks for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
240 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Don't really understand "bumping" posts but will read up on it!
I got it checked by a local (for France) english auto technician His diagnostic tool pointed to nsf abs sensor - showed a speed of 600km/hr! I took it out when I got home and found it looked like this. I have ordered a new one and will post result (positive I hope).
Glad you got to the bottom of this one even if you ended up with another challenge to solve along the way.

Regarding "bumping" - I just meant to post again in your original message to "bump" it to the top of the list of new posts so people might see it, given how few posts there are on here it's not a big issue, I was just trying to keep things tidy, the main thing is you got sorted (y)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I junked my locking wheel nuts. don't want to be stuck in the dark. £10 replaced all four. if someone steals them they were probably going to get them anyway. I'll just reach for the aftermarket catalogue.....shiney!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts