Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, today I took delivery of my new cactus 1.2 flair in deep purple (Betty) she's gorgeous!! Took her for a drive and I couldn't be happier. Loving having an automatic and despite the dodgy reviews about gear changes online the car drives like a dream and I can't even tell when the gear changes.
The only thing I'm struggling with is reversing! I think it's because I'm not used to automatics and when I take my foot off the brake to reverse and it starts 'creeping' I feel like it's going too fast. If I press the brake to slow it down a bit it stops abruptly and then I end up stopping and lurching and looking like a learner driver :lol: . I'm sure I'll get used to no clutch control at slow speeds but in the meantime.. Any tips for a newbie?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Got to say that I'm still reversing like this after 6000 miles. You select reverse then try and apply a little bit of power then it shoots backwards so straight on the brakes if you're near another car then repeat as necessary. If you're within a couple of feet of another car it's usually too risky to get closer as you could with a conventional clutch. Reversing up a slope is even harder.

It doesn't get me down, I don't go backwards much anyway.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just be careful to you get used to it. The Hill Start Assist is an asset so when you are on a hill you don't need your hand brake at all and only when parking. I made the same mistake when I got mine over a year ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I havent been brave enough to try the hill start assist yet haha. Handbrake all the way so far! I think I may be converted to automatics though - loving roundabouts not having to scrabble through gears!

·
Registered
725 Posts
The only automatic I ever had was a Citroen CX. That crept in forward and reverse. Just control it with the brake when doing small manoeuvres like parking. Leave the throttle alone.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The2ems said:
The only automatic I ever had was a Citroen CX. That crept in forward and reverse. Just control it with the brake when doing small manoeuvres like parking. Leave the throttle alone.
It doesn't work in the same way - your CX had a torque-converter that allowed creep with helectical locking gears - ETG is a manual clutch that is automatically engaged as you release the brake and doesn't allow proper 'creep', it simply engages the clutch; think of it like a 17 year old taking their first driving lesson. It seems to work well on heavier cars although anyone who has reversed a caravan behind a C4 Picasso EGS will be able to define the smell of burning clutch incredibly well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Littleannie said:
Hello all, today I took delivery of my new cactus 1.2 flair in deep purple (Betty) she's gorgeous!! Took her for a drive and I couldn't be happier. Loving having an automatic and despite the dodgy reviews about gear changes online the car drives like a dream and I can't even tell when the gear changes.
The only thing I'm struggling with is reversing! I think it's because I'm not used to automatics and when I take my foot off the brake to reverse and it starts 'creeping' I feel like it's going too fast. If I press the brake to slow it down a bit it stops abruptly and then I end up stopping and lurching and looking like a learner driver :lol: . I'm sure I'll get used to no clutch control at slow speeds but in the meantime.. Any tips for a newbie?
I can't say I have noticed any problem when reversing... Perhaps the diesel doesn't increase the revs so quickly as the petrol? I find the creep function works well, but usually add a (small!!!) amount of throttle as well. The reversing camera helps as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have found with my 82 etg a little dab of the pedal is enough to start gently moving. This is my 3rd. car with this gearbox but the other two had the 110 diesel which is much better suited to the gearbox. Hill start assist works brilliantly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm getting used to it now and pleased to say no more lurching! What a lovely stress free car I'm enjoying driving again!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Littleannie said:
Thanks everyone, I'm getting used to it now and pleased to say no more lurching! What a lovely stress free car I'm enjoying driving again!
That was our impression today after our first long drive, such a relaxing drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts