Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a brand new C3 Picasso VTi 120ETG6VTR+ petrol engine car. My previous car was a Nissan Primera 2 ltr. automatic which I had for over 15 years. Most cars these days seem to come with a lot of unnecessary and confusing gadgets and my new car is no exception. However, my purpose in writing is to report that there is one aspect of the my new vehicle which bothers me and it is this. When I drive away and the engine is changing up through gears from gear 1 through to 2 and 3 it seems to lose revs and the car slows noticeably until I press down the gas pedal. Is this the experience of others with this type of automatic gearbox and can anything be done to make the acceleration smother or do I just have to get used to it? Any comments/advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now on my 3rd car with this gearbox. Why are you lifting off the pedal? Keep the pedal down and let the car make the decisions to change gear. I thinkl if you lift off the car will try to hold the gear as if you were slowing rather than change up a gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Angus, I am not aware that I am lifting off the pedal but will bear in mind what you say. One other point though, again comparing this automatic gearbox with my previous automatic car, the Nissan Primera, The Nissan would hold its position when at traffic lights when on an upward incline, without having a foot on the accelerator pedal, thereby avoiding any run back when moving from foot brake to accelerator. However, it seems necessary to apply the handbrake in the Citroen to avoid run back. Hope I am not appearing too critical of the new Citroen. I would, however, like to be sure the new car is performing as well as it should. I suppose I could have a word with the dealers from authorised Citroen dealer who sold me the car but I would like to get other owners' opinions first.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Primera probably had a traditional hydraulic automatic transmission with a torque converter so holding it on a hill wouldn't have caused any problems for it, the Citroen boxes use a conventional dry clutch and if it used that to keep it stationary on a hill it would burn out in no time (the same as using a regular manual gearbox clutch to hold it on hills all the time).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have researched the term 'automatic' in rather more depth. The Nissan was, I now realize, a genuine automatic whereas the Citroen, and other manufactures, use quasi automatic transmission because it's cheaper. I would certainly not recommend ETG or any similar transmission system to anyone seeking an automatic vehicle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As far as I am aware all ETG models have HIll start assist. The brakes remain on for 2 secs. after releasing the foot brake. It does not work on slight inclines and you must learn the cars behaviour. I prefer the semi automatic approach especially in terms of economy and performance. It just takes getting used to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've ordered an ETG, I would have preferred a traditional automatic too but they wasted a lot of fuel. I was out yesterday in my friends C4 etg auto and to be honest it felt almost the same though so am not worried. Besides, the flappy paddles can make me feel like Jenson Button innit :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
The more miles you do, the smoother the gear box is. As for the Hill Start Assist press your foot hard on the pedal then it will work. The ETG gearbox is used in a lot of cars now including BMW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts