Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i am thinking of getting the cactus with the e-HDi 92 ETG6 , (automatic transmission) what is this like to drive ? is it smooth when changing gears ?

i currently have a Citroën C4 with 1.6eHDi EGS, which is a manual gearbox with auto clutch which i find great . many thanks in advance

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am almost certain that the ETG box is an upgrade to the EGS box. My last 2 cars had EGS and I am looking forward to spotting the difference. Both boxes work in the same way. With the ETG slightly more efficient.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the EGS in my previous C4 and have the ETG in my Cactus and quite honestly, I can't really see any difference. As with both of them, the harder you accelerate, the more noticeable the gear change. As you get used to when it is going to change and anticipate by slightly easing off the gas, the changes are almost unnoticeable.

As Angus said, the ETG and the EGS are, as far as I am aware, the same thing, i.e. a manual gearbox with an automatically operated clutch and shift.

i'm sure you would be as happy with the Cactus gearbox as you are with the C4.

·
Registered
39 Posts
And here is a little hint. You can "teach" the ETG gearbox your own way to drive.

First you must reset it by doing the next steps.

1. Choose good flat surface.

2. Stop the car. Push first the button N and then D.

3. Stamp the gas pedal totally down and keep it there. Let the car accelerate gears 1-2-3 using as high revs as possible. Then continue to drive normally.

The gearbox computer is now reseted and is ready to learn your driving pattern. This can take even 2000 km. This is worth of testing. Gears start to change smoothly even with higher revs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had my cactus for six months next week and I have the etg 6 gearbox. I live in a fairly mountainous part of Spain and have had no problems with the gearbox, quite the opposite, it works fine, is smooth and helps make the whole cactus driving experience relaxing. The only downside on the car is the fact I can't use the satnav on my smart phone on the in car screen. When I bought the car sat nav was extra and as I don't use it much I didn't see the point, but it's a pity I can't connect the two. When I do use the sat nav on my phone the directions do however come through the speaker system, but then when she's finished giving a particular direction she turns the radio on whether I have been listening to it or not. Can I stop this??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Small radio volume is a problem so far, but there should be a new sofware update next summer. This can be loeded in the Citroen service. This update is mentioned to eliminate this "small voloume problem".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Citroën service? Could you explain the process you've just mentioned? Is it a downloadable service that we do manually or is it something that is done during service at the garage? I'm curious to know

·
Registered
39 Posts
At first, sorry my poor English and thats why so unclear explanations.

Car software update is a common routine in every service in the garage. I think that they update the latest software automatically in the next service or you can ask software update as a special service from your carage.

Our local Citroen importer here in Finland told me, that there should be a new software available in next summer and this update has a solution for exaple for this volume problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts