Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My other dilema is petrol or diesel? Am used to 2.0L Hdi but worry about all the short journeys dpf variable vane turbo etc

·
Registered
644 Posts
GarryH said:
My other dilema is petrol or diesel? Am used to 2.0L Hdi but worry about all the short journeys dpf variable vane turbo etc
We do a mixture of shorter and longer trips. I think as long as you do some longer ones you'll be ok. We had a seat 1.9 diesel before and used to get a clear out cloud of black soot sometimes. Haven't noticed it with the cactus diesel.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
GarryH said:
Yeah I hate those DPF filters - not a good idea for people who mostly do city driving. I know of one bloke who was sold a small delivery van with one on (as I think all diesels have them now) he was sold it as a good city car for lots of drops and of course the DPF filter blogged and eventually broke and it was something like £2000 to replace....... he took the dealer to court over it.

I think the filters are improving and as long as you get a decent ride out now and again to clear it and of course the additive blue will help all SHOULD be fine :?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am kinda leaning toward the diesel, as I understand it the Ad blue helps with the re gen burn so should be less of a problem than the two Hdi's I have now. I like the idea of the Purtech engine but the real life mpg figures seem average to poor.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
GarryH said:
Am kinda leaning toward the diesel, as I understand it the Ad blue helps with the re gen burn so should be less of a problem than the two Hdi's I have now. I like the idea of the Purtech engine but the real life mpg figures seem average to poor.
The puretech engine is a nice engine by all accounts and won awards.

Before we bought our 1.6 blue 100bhp diesel I read some reviews that said it was a noisey crude rough engine..... What a load of rubbish. It's a nice quiet smooth engine with plenty of poke and superb mpg I thing the engine seems more refined than my old Mazda 6 and that was a good car to

·
Registered
626 Posts
The HDi Blue 100 is a very capable and relaxed cruiser. Around town it's refined and adequately powered to keep up.

The Adblue systems works differently to those older systems with just a DPF. DPF systems use Eolys which is injected onto the DPF and is a catalyst to burn off the gasses and particulates. These require high temps to operate but equally become clogged if not operated at high temp (around town).

Adblue is a catalyst (urea) which is injected into the exhaust after the DPF (no Eolys needed) prior to going through ANOTHER catalyst before being ejected out the tail pipe.

Adblue is available in most petrol stations and car accessory stores, Eolys is only available through your dealer and can only be installed by them so the benefits are obvious.

·
Registered
644 Posts
We were told only to use the ad blue that Citroen used and not just any old bottle. Not sure if there's any truth in that! Found a bottle in Tesco for £10 but didn't buy it.

The 1.6l diesel is very quiet (inside the car) and has lots of poke when you need it. Cruises nicely at motorway speeds. Plus has the added bonus of being a bit heavier so the car doesn't get buffeted in wind (as some have said of the petrol unit). Plus we have had up to 71mpg on a long trip and a full boot!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Engines apart - at least you'll be able to open the rear windows a bit. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts