Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating buying a 110 shortly.
As most of the reviews on Utube are of other models, can anyone offer me feedback on their experience of owning / driving this particular model?
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got my car in March. I rather like the 110 3 cylinder engine. It revs quite freely and seems reasonably smooth.

Fuel consumption is around 50mpg for my trips, but my journeys are such that I get good economy. For comparison, my previous MINI Countryman gave low 30's and my Mk7 Golf GTI gives high 30's.

The S&S is very active, but that is not a criticism. It turns off almost as soon as you come to rest, but starts up straightaway too.

The gearing is quite long though. Don't expect to use 4th below 30mph and 5th doesn't really work below 40mph either...and the "change up gear now" indicator can be quite annoying as it encourages you to change up at speeds where I think the engine sounds like it is labouring a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I experienced the S&S on a hire car last year and yes, it was a bit unnerving at first. I was intrigued to learn that it doesn't use the starter motor - the 'reversible' alternator is also used as a generator - clever technology.
So how about performance, comfort and steering - is it acceptable given your experience of driving the GTI?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bostik said:
So how about performance, comfort and steering - is it acceptable given your experience of driving the GTI?
I did buy this car as a short journey vehicle, and I always enjoy driving it...until I take a longer run in the Golf.

The performance is as good as I expected given this is not a performance car in any way. It accelerates quite well through the gears and is surprisingly sprightly at accelerating at motorway speeds in 5th gear too.

The ride is much better than in my old MINI Countryman but feels a little floaty compared to the Golf, which admittedly is running on the optional adaptive suspension. In "comfort" mode the Golf feels planted and smooth and weighty in a way the Cactus cannot manage. I still think the ride in the Citroen is good though, even if the ride in the GTI is nicer.

The steering as you might expect is a little lacking in feedback and very light too. If I push it a bit then understeer sets in quite quickly too, but again nothing too bad for a car of this class.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, picked up my 110 at the start of March. Find it very comfortable . do quite a few longish journeys and no problems. Cruises well on the motorway and find fuel consumption around high 50's using cruise control. Very relaxing to drive. Also find the touch screen very nice to use. There has been criticisms that the heating controls should be separate and that you need to leave the current screen to use them but it really is not an issue at all. I have the flair and that comes with climate control so I rarely change the settings. Also the reversing camera is fantastic. Scary how quickly you get to rely on it. The satnav is pretty good but there are so many options on it that it takes a while to Suss everything out. The cactus manual is not exactly the most clear and concise set of instructions I've ever read!!! There are things on the tablet that are not even mentioned in the manual. Deleting stuff is really good fun?? Sound system very good and the jukebox is great . you really don't miss a CD player. Some things are a little quirky but that's french design for you, but on the plus side you get a car that looks like nothing else on the road. Best car I've owned for the price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Moro and Adinet for taking the time to let me know. I've got a deposit on a demo car and I'm hoping that the test drive will validate my assumptions about this car. I'm not expecting a great handling car for sure (I drive a GT86) but the reason I'm buying this car is that poorly maintained British roads require French suspension, if you know what I mean. Would prefer a new DS21 but hey-ho!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally had a first drive in the 110 yesterday. Couldn't fault it. Wrote the cheque. Took it home. Very impressive car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bostik said:
Finally had a first drive in the 110 yesterday. Couldn't fault it. Wrote the cheque. Took it home. Very impressive car.
:D

When are you going to post the photos?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having now driven a 120 mile journey on a mixture of M, A & B roads I have a much better idea about the car (110).
The biggest impression comes from the engine. The throttle response at low revs is astounding - the engine produces the same torque as a 2.0 Toyota GT86 - but at 1750 revs - which means its pulls very strongly, like a mid-sized diesel. At no point does this car feel gutless. Enjoyed the cruise control, typically easy to use and welcome on the motorways. The danger is that with such a strong engine I started to forget to change gear, as if I was driving an automatic.
Comfort comes next. Yes, the seats are great and the cabin noise is low which makes for a pleasant journey. Feels like a much more expensive car. The only criticism is the lack of adjustably of the steering wheel. If you have long legs you'll find the pedals are too close when you sit at the correct distance from the steering wheel (arms straight - the top of the wheel should touch your wrist). Appreciate the rationale for this (weight and cost) but it might be a problem for some tall people. Manual gearbox is very nice and the journo's criticism of a floppy gear lever was clearly unwarranted and irrelevant.
The steering is very light, but seems to stiffen relative to road speed so no complaints there.
Very little road noise from the tyres (on 17" wheels) and turn-in was good. Admittedly I was not driving it like one would push on a public track day - but if that is what you want you would not buy this car.
As a motorsport professional I am acutely aware that most magazine reports of cars focus on power - and for some reason talk very little about weight. To me, that's crazy as weight is every bit as important as power. 'Power to weight' ratio is a key indicator of real life performance and a car's weight directly affects it brake and tyre wear.
Driving as I normally do on open roads (cruising around 80mph where conditions permit) we got about 44mpg, and I have no doubt that would reduce if I had to do a lot of stop-start driving in town. Perfectly acceptable - and I will never get 60mpg and do not expect to.
The on-board toys are fun but for me not essential - although the reversing camera is very useful.
And my 90-year young Mum thought that sitting in the back was very comfortable and she was highly amused by the lady telling me when to make a turn!
I am relieved to tell you that I have not been able to fault the car - and it has lived up to the high expectations I had for it after doing a month of Utube and Google research............

·
Registered
169 Posts
I entirely agree with you.

The steering column not adjusting for rake is a bit of a false economy as I can't quite get the perfect seat/pedal/wheel arrangement either, but it's not a big issue.

I too cannot understand the gearbox comments in road tests, as I find it perfectly fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Am currently driving the new Peugeot 308 with a 1600 diesel engine (my hire car in Italy) and interestingly it has less torque, less power and weighs more than my Cactus all of which is noticeable. It is very economical though. Very pleased to report that the Cactus is a much nicer drive, so pleased about that. Have been driving around N.Italy (the Dolomites) for a week and only seen one Cactus - I think was on German plates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts