Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked by the dealer to pop in next week and sign the finance docs prior to collecting the vehicle, which at this moment in time is looking like the first/second week of May.

My question is, with every other car I've bought and financed from new, the finance docs have been signed on the day of collection, along with whatever is left to pay of the deposit.

I'm getting a little narked with the guy I'm dealing with and am struggling to understand why I have to sign the agreement and pay the deposit prior to collection of the vehicle.

The two previous vehicles I've had with the same dealer didn't require this, so why now?

Am I being stupid???

·
Registered
709 Posts
Looks a bit like he wants to get a firm hold on your money in case of more delivery delay.

Have you considered reclaiming your deposit and buying 2nd hand from a dealer a car less than 1 year old with much lower cost?

There is a well known car supermarket on the web selling Cactus having 15 and 65 plates and various colours/ engines/extras at 4k to 5k lower price than brand new, with manufacturer's warranty running until car reaches 3yrs old from registration.

·
Registered
383 Posts
davew said:
There is a well known car supermarket on the web selling Cactus having 15 and 65 plates and various colours/ engines/extras at 4k to 5k lower price than brand new, with manufacturer's warranty running until car reaches 3yrs old from registration.
We bought our DS4 from the same place and whilst it's a bit of a clinical process (like buying a washing machine) the savings are exceptional and they are very easy to deal with. I won't hesitate to use them again. The car was £1,500 less than those in the dealer network and from the number plates it was easy to see they were all from exactly the same source ('sold' by a large dealer to hire companies at the end of a quarter then put onto the car supermarket 6-9 months later)

Some dealers require cleared funds in their account before the car is handed over (rather than on the day) but I've only ever bought two cars on finance before and they have both been signed for on the day but one was in 2000 and the second 2003 so it might have changed! I assume they have some sort of holding deposit in which case that is enough. I suspect this is actually to do with your statutory rights as you have a 14-day cool - off period after signing finance documents I believe - they want this to be before you take delivery of the car so that if you exercise this rights they can still sell the car as 'new unregistered' rather than nearly - new.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If I were you, I'd get a bank lone for 3.3 ( or whatever it is now) and pay it all off in one swoop, unless you're getting better deal?
I bought my Cactus from MP for £11k, 6 months old 5000 miles, there were a few other Cactus ( Cacti?) in, a shark grey 110, (5miles on clock!) and a white 110 , both Feel with 16" wheels, but I wanted the Flair 17" double black 82bhp, it looked better!
I drove it away the same day, I could've waited for one with a sunroof ( an extra £1000) or different engine brought in by another of the franchise in a different city, but I was happy with the one I test drove, and needed it that weekend if possible.
They were very easy to deal with, nothing like the horror stories I'd heard or envisioned.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Possibly wants your "sale" to meet his April sales target? :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've just bought an ex demo 9 months old 4000 miles. I have got finance from my bank at a better rate (the sales rep said unofficially the dealer finance couldn't compete so what I'd done made sense). I applied online and the loan was agreed in about 8 minutes. The money was in my account next day. I didn't get the free servicing offered by my dealer as a result but there was a reasonable option to pay for that if I'd wanted it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Heartboy said:
I've just bought an ex demo 9 months old 4000 miles. I have got finance from my bank at a better rate (the sales rep said unofficially the dealer finance couldn't compete so what I'd done made sense). I applied online and the loan was agreed in about 8 minutes. The money was in my account next day. I didn't get the free servicing offered by my dealer as a result but there was a reasonable option to pay for that if I'd wanted it.
Decent finance rates only really come on new cars as they are supported by the manufacturer (although obviously it still has to be paid for), buying used a dealer will rarely get remotely close to a traditional lender - some people find it simpler though which is a shame as for 15 minutes work on the web you can get a much better deal, as you've discovered!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts