Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we traveled down to Bath from Durham and it was a journey of 294 miles each way. On the way down we got 69 mpg and on the way back we got 65 mpg. But we went through a LOT of 50 MPH restriction sections and I used 4th a fair bit when I probably should have used 5th. But we are very happy with that and it was nice to go a distance like that and then not hunt for a petrol station before we could even set off home. We filled the tank once and there is still a little left.

The journey in the Cactus was a total pleasure and I cannot honestly fault it at all. It was quiet had plenty of power if I needed it and all the gadgets like the limiter (great for 50 MP sections) and the cruise control worked brilliantly and of course the radio was superb but the real star was Sophia (as I call the Sat-Nav :) ) she was brilliant and got me to our family members door which they were surprised as as other people who visited had problems finding them.

So the Cactus on the whole was a LOT better on a long motorway journey than I had thought with stories of bad road noise on the 17" wheels etc and wind noise and whistling. Maybe we were lucky with the wind or something but this car has to be the best we have had for long journey and any journey and I am sat here now after 5 hours in the car and feel fine and relaxed. After the journey down I was actually looking forward to the LONG journey back and that's a first for me :cool:

Regarding the windows on the way back my daughter who had a bad stomach (Girl things) opened the window on the motorway. When we first got the car I thought it would be great for this as it would not produce the buffeting sound of normal windows and I was totally right. You could feel the fresh air but no wind noise and only the sound of cars going past - Brilliant !!!

The only small thing was on the way down I had a few seconds of juddering and power loss. It lasted one second then back to normal then a second again then the same again so in total about 4 seconds then it was fine for the rest of the journey and all the way back. No idea what it was, maybe some muck in the fuel or the re-gen or something but that was only tiny think that concerned me at the time

·
Registered
105 Posts
Keith said:
Nothing better than buying something and knowing you have made the right choice. :)

Yep so ..so true :)
I feel the same...

Quite a test 300 miles straight twice.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it was one area (motorway) where I thought the cactus would not fare to good but I was so wrong

·
Registered
328 Posts
JohnYoung said:
Well we traveled down to Bath from Durham and it was a journey of 294 miles each way. On the way down we got 69 mpg and on the way back we got 65 mpg. But we went through a LOT of 50 MPH restriction sections and I used 4th a fair bit when I probably should have used 5th. But we are very happy with that and it was nice to go a distance like that and then not hunt for a petrol station before we could even set off home. We filled the tank once and there is still a little left.

The journey in the Cactus was a total pleasure and I cannot honestly fault it at all. It was quiet had plenty of power if I needed it and all the gadgets like the limiter (great for 50 MP sections) and the cruise control worked brilliantly and of course the radio was superb but the real star was Sophia (as I call the Sat-Nav :) ) she was brilliant and got me to our family members door which they were surprised as as other people who visited had problems finding them.

So the Cactus on the whole was a LOT better on a long motorway journey than I had thought with stories of bad road noise on the 17" wheels etc and wind noise and whistling. Maybe we were lucky with the wind or something but this car has to be the best we have had for long journey and any journey and I am sat here now after 5 hours in the car and feel fine and relaxed. After the journey down I was actually looking forward to the LONG journey back and that's a first for me :cool:

Regarding the windows on the way back my daughter who had a bad stomach (Girl things) opened the window on the motorway. When we first got the car I thought it would be great for this as it would not produce the buffeting sound of normal windows and I was totally right. You could feel the fresh air but no wind noise and only the sound of cars going past - Brilliant !!!

The only small thing was on the way down I had a few seconds of juddering and power loss. It lasted one second then back to normal then a second again then the same again so in total about 4 seconds then it was fine for the rest of the journey and all the way back. No idea what it was, maybe some muck in the fuel or the re-gen or something but that was only tiny think that concerned me at the time
You're the second person to mention the momentary loss of power and juddering in the past couple of days. Glad you enjoyed the trip though.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who else mentioned it ?

I have not had it again either on the way back from Bath or today on a small (30 mile) trip

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's on the Faults and Technical section. I wrote a short description about fuels the other day.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We'll be doing London to Cornwall return the weekend after next so are looking forward to a long drive, will report back.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Glad to hear all things went to plan and hope you enjoyed Bath! :D

If you came down the M5 from Birmingham to Bristol then at the moment the last time I did it the whole stretch seems to be more 50mph SPECs roadworks than normal Motorway...a real PITA not helped by never seeing anybody doing anything!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea we did enjoy Bath its a stunning city and the view from our family's home was amazing right across the top of Bath

But you are right about the 50mph stretches but the limiter on the Cactus came in handy for that :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not bad John, but I would be slightly disappointed with mpg, even having 50 mph restrictions, I would be expecting better mpg, at least into the mid seventies. With the 1.6 diesel.
But if you are happy, that is all that matters I quess,

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a1956p said:
Not bad John, but I would be slightly disappointed with mpg, even having 50 mph restrictions, I would be expecting better mpg, at least into the mid seventies. With the 1.6 diesel.
Hmmm... yeah not sure why it was not higher. We had 3 of us in the car and a boot of luggage if that affected it

·
Registered
626 Posts
Admittedly the majority of my journeys are stuck in Bristol's marvellous traffic nightmare creation scheme that nobody wants - 'metrobus' and the cities widespread 20mph limits but I'm only averaging 55mpg...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Of course it would affect it John, that's why they don't give you spare wheels etc,
More weight means less mph. On reflection you did pretty good, well done!! More importantly you had a pleasant experience driving that long trip.

·
Registered
105 Posts
JohnYoung said:
a1956p said:
Hmmm... yeah not sure why it was not higher. We had 3 of us in the car and a boot of luggage if that affected it
3 Adults and a boot full of luggage will certainly affect the consumption of a car. Could be by 10 to 15% even.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I should have been clearer I meant the three people and luggage would affect it not "would it" of course weight affects fuel

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am doing a 2500 + journey around Europe in mine from 25 April to 8 May and am hoping to be able to update along the way

1 - 20 of 23 Posts