Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, pick up my new Cactus on Saturday and just wondering how people have found using the standard "tyre repair kit". Always been sceptical as to if the gunk stuff actually works, but as it seems the normal option on many cars nowadays i would assume it does what its meant to? In two minds as to source an actual spare?

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
>>> just wondering how people have found using the standard "tyre repair kit". Always been sceptical as to if the gunk stuff actually works

I had the same system in a C5 I ran for three years... worked perfectly... as I never had to use it. When I had the car loads of folks said it was a rubbish system and would cause grief. I thought back to the two previous decades of motoring without a fast puncture and decided it wasn't worth the cost of a new wheel/tyre to keep as a spare.

If we had a problem and the gunk didn't work I'd just call the RAC.

Having said that ideally my preference is for a space saver spare.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Having spent 3 hours at the side of the road at 6am on a February morning years ago due to hitting a pothole and bending the wheel, rendering the can of tyre- *+>% utterly useless, I won't ever be without a spare. We had the space saver on our DS4 last year and the Picasso that preceded it not long before we sold it in late 2013 I don't think I'd take the chance especially as it doesn't reduce space or really weigh much more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have also been in the situation of loosing a wheel to a pothole so would never feel comfortable without a spare so I ordered the optional spacesaver when we purchased our Cactus. This includes a jack kit. What is slightly frustrating is that the car has a full sized well for a spare tyre under the boot liner. Standard includes a large plastic moulding to store the pump kit, towing eye etc. This no longer fits with the spacesaver in place. Has anyone found a neat solution for storing these along with the jack and spacesaver in the spare wheel well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
>>>anyone found a neat solution for storing these along with the jack and spacesaver in the spare wheel well?

Are you trying to get the pump in there too... is the remaining space large enough?

One solution would be to buy a block of dense foam that they sell for large camera outfits. These can have push-out bits so you can make the shape you need for the stored items to be held firmly. However I have a similar situation with our other car where I carry a fair bit of kit packed in the full size spare underfloor compartment. I just bought a set of bargain towels and wrap each item in one then place in/around the spare wheel to stop things rattling about.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Foam is a great idea.

Yes, it is a full sized well so plenty of space for spacesaver, pump, jack, bulb kit etc.

As there will be remaining space planning on keeping some spare waterproofs and torch in there as well as punctures only ever happen when it is dark and raining :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just ordered a full size spare at time of ordering (option £75) as opposed to having the fix n hang about crap. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
In case it helps understand why I'm not motivated to ditch the pump/goo system. If an offside tyre blew out on the motorway on a dark rainy night no way would I change the wheel myself on the hard shoulder.. so so possible to get taken out by a lorry... I might not do a nearside either. I'd call the RAC anyway who carry universal spare wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts