Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nobody seems to be talking about how good these cars are on fuel.....mine is picked up tomorrow and I will be testing it out at wkend and report back ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
:) Hi Journeyman,

On the subject of fuel economy, I am delighted with mine. The best I have got yet was a journey from Colchester to Clacton very early on a Sunday morning and I got 85.5mpg over 16 miles!

Speed and driving style are obviously the key, I didn't exceed 45mph (i was using an A road, with no-one behind me to get annoyed). I drove smoothly and gently and avoided unnecessary harsh braking.

Naturally, that was under ideal conditions and most of my driving is about 60 miles a day, over a mixture of A roads at 40 - 50mph and dual carriageway at 70+ mph. My current average mpg for the tank of fuel I am on now is 65mpg. If I do the entire journey both ways on the A road route, I can get it between 70 and 74mpg.

I have just turned 1000 miles and so the engine still needs a bit of loosening up, I would expect the figures to improve at least a little during the coming months, especially in the warmer weather.

Enjoy your new toy tomorrow :)

Cheers, Chris.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello zippy,i got mine today and love the way it drives and I aint been far yet,am going to give it a run at wkend see what its like but as you say the engines is going to be as tight as a drum for a good while yet....cheers Robbie ;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well done 2hrs graft delivery work tonight approx 50 miles with quarter tank and it drank the lot just about averaging 35 mpg which is dreadfull bizznizz.........engine sounded loud and you can here the wind thru every door panel quite disappointed to say the least but early doors ;-S

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, we did a long run (310 miles) in our Cactus HDi100 - it reached 71mpg on the info screen, then gradually went back down to the early sixties mpg. This was mostly motorway miles, so I don't know why the mpg fell back. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh me thinks that these cars could be a case of smoke and mirrors,i had a berlingo van new shape last time around and that was fantastic from the minute I left the show room....used to get 50+ all the time and sometimes on longer runs 60+ I averaged 33 to 37 mpg last night which is dreadfull I know its tight the engine but it should be better than that......I bought it because of the economy but it looks like you need not of bothered shedding the kilos citroen coz if you ask me.......we have been had!!!!.........TIME WILL TELL ;-s

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am still getting an average of 68 with my blue hdi. Occasionally in the low 80s and not below 61 so far. Mine has done over 3000 miles now. I don't see my mpg drop at the end of a journey, if anything it is about 64 until the final 5 minutes then finishes on about 68 (standard drive home on a mix if A roads).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Averaging 64 to 65 mpg had expected about 70 ish given the claims of 88 mpg. Yesterday saw 80 over 16 miles. I really don't know what the purpose is of the mpg on the top info sheet it madly goes to over 800 mpg the down to 100 or less in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi podman,

The top info sheet only shows the instantaneous mpg figure, which is constantly updated and so is of very limited use really.

To get a steady read-out of mpg you need to use either the second or third sheet, i.e. reset it and after a few miles the mpg figure will settle down and show how your driving style and the road conditions are affecting the mpg, without the numbers changing every second.

I hope this helps, cheers, Chris.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like you're not too pleased with your cactus journeyman. Have a word with Citroën and see if they can swap it for something you're happy with, like that berlingo you mentioned. My brother has one and seems rather pleased with it!

·
Registered
472 Posts
These fuel consumption figures that you get on the computers in any car are not accurate anyway. The only way you can see your fuel consumption to give a better idea of what you're getting is the brim to brim method ( not til pump clicks off ) but when you can see the fuel. Keep your receipt, so you know how much you've put in, note your mileage and when you need to refill, top up to brim again and work it out. Do this over 3 or 4 fill ups then you'll get a better idea of what your using. Plus its a good excercise to see how close the computer is to your own calculations.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is no need to fill to the brim, the fuel pumps tell you how much fuel you are adding and the odometer tells you distance covered. The rest is just arithmetic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cheers Zippy,

Still frustrated that my average is 60 to 65 mpg given that the quoted combined is 88 mpg. I know that's in idea wind tunnel conditions but I was led to expect much more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How have others found the fuel economy with e-HDi 92 ETG6 ?

Compared to the spec sheet (17 inch wheels) of

urban cycle: 72.4 mpg
extra urban: 80.7 mpg
combined: 78.5 pmg

·
Registered
266 Posts
Average in normal driving - mix of motorway and urban - 55MPG - nowhere near Citroen's quoted figure for the e-HDi92 ETG6. From experience with my previous C4, I am not surprised....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gosh those figure are disappointing

on my C4 with 1.6eHDi EGS, i will got between 58 to 60 mpg around town and a good motorway drive about 66 - 70. and according to the spec sheets the cactus (e-HDi 92 ETG6) should be doing slightly better than the c4.

this has now got me thinking if i should change to the cactus

·
Registered
64 Posts
Honest John figures good news for me. With my C4 e-Hdi. I never bettered 50.4 mpg. in any month's use. I am hoping my puretech 82 s /s etg can at least match if not actually better this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay let's get down to cases. I have ordered a blue hdi 100, partly because of potential might but in the main spec style comfort and value. It's easy to look at a test score which we know is faked and rolling roads with platinum grade super oil and car in test modes on special tyres but real world is cars we have or have had and comparison there. Good example I drive a hyundai i20 blue 1.4 which quotes figures similar to the etg model cactus I have witnessed any average brim to brim test might of 53 might over 22 months with lots of 45. So even if the 100 does 55 mpg it will be more efficient if it does 60+ I'll be over the f#*+*#+g moon.
Second point I drove a c3 Airdream diesel before the hyunda, 2 different ones due to an accident. The first averaged 60 in winter the second, same car exactly averaged 55 same conditions same trips reality cars are variable, tests are fake buy cars you like due to the features comfort and style because that is truly empirically achievable.
Side not top gear BMW i8 hybrid quoted mpg 130+ Clarkson test trip 38. 78% doesn't seem so bad

1 - 20 of 140 Posts