Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has everyone noticed how high the gear ratios are.. On 1st gear you can't drive dead slow.. you need to press the clutch down. And on days with moderate traffic, or moving city traffic I rarely go up to 5th gear. On my previous car and my wife's car I did go up to 5th at similar situations.

It most probably is felt less on the 16" wheels due to their smaller circumference.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I got your drift.. and in that case I agree.

1st gear did feel strange till I got used to it tho... If you want to really limp slowly you cant.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also found gear ratios high. Have to switch to first to take sharp corners. getting used to it though and I suppose it's good for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Kevin said:
Yes, I got your drift.. and in that case I agree.

1st gear did feel strange till I got used to it tho... If you want to really limp slowly you cant.
I have not really noticed crawling in traffic a problem though in first...... Unless I was in second without thinking. I'll take more notice next time

·
Registered
47 Posts
JohnYoung said:
OK checked today and crawled no problem in traffic at 5mph in 1st
I like that you can start off (at least on the Diesel blue HDi) with no accelerator, just lift the clutch.
What I don't like is slowing to 40 in 5th and then getting a judder that reminds me to change down.

I have found using the phone as a rev counter kind of useful, it gives you a bit more feedback.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
ferrisimo said:
JohnYoung said:
I like that you can start off (at least on the Diesel blue HDi) with no accelerator, just lift the clutch.
What I don't like is slowing to 40 in 5th and then getting a judder that reminds me to change down.

I have found using the phone as a rev counter kind of useful, it gives you a bit more feedback.

Cheers,
Dave
How did you use the phone as a rev-counter

·
Registered
47 Posts
JohnYoung said:
ferrisimo said:
JohnYoung said:

Cheers,
Dave
How did you use the phone as a rev-counter
You plugin a wifi OBD II device and connect to it with a phone app.
Theres a screen shot in this threadhttp://cactusforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=866.

Not too hard to do, should only cost about 10 quid for the cable, 20 for the Wifi device.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ahhh yes I remember reading about that, its a shame they don't add the rev-counter as a firmware update it could be small where the gear indicator symbol is

·
Registered
383 Posts
Kevin said:
It most probably is felt less on the 16" wheels due to their smaller circumference.
The 17" wheels have lower profile tyres which means that give or take a few mm they have the same rolling circumference - cars on 15" wheels have higher profiles again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting, we have a 110 Cactus coming, and I was curious about gearing especially given the lack of rev counter.

I found gear ratios at http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php, which I translated in to a table giving speeds in each gear at certain RPM points. Note the 110 appears to be able to hit v-max in 4th gear. It's surprisingly long legged.

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Number

This table is only relevant for the 110, the 82 and diesel have different gearing.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Frank.. I think there is in fact quite a difference in the circumference between the 16 & 17" wheels..
Have a look at the table.

And the 16's leave more space in the wheel arch.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't understand the talk about rev counters. To me they are like an oil pressure gauge. Gives you more clocks on the dash, but you don't really need them. I change gear when it feels right. Don't need a rev counter to tell me.

G

·
The2ems said:
I don't understand the talk about rev counters. To me they are like an oil pressure gauge. Gives you more clocks on the dash, but you don't really need them. I change gear when it feels right. Don't need a rev counter to tell me.
I couldn't agree more. I only have the ETG now because my hearing is poor. My old C4 had a rev counter but having changed gear all my life by listening to the revs I found it of no use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The2ems said:
I completely agree. I hear and feel the engine.. No need for a rev counter for me.

Wouldn't mind a temperature gauge though..... :?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
A rev counter is handy at certain times like when the engine is cold or when you want to drop a gear and get up a steep hill so you don't damage your engine - normal driving you don't need one really but it would be handy when needed

·
Registered
383 Posts
Kevin said:
Frank.. I think there is in fact quite a difference in the circumference between the 16 & 17" wheels..
Have a look at the table.

And the 16's leave more space in the wheel arch.
That's barely perceptible I would suggest - tyre pressures out by a psi or two will likely make a greater difference than that!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On paper they are so close, yet visually the 16's look so much smaller in the wheel arch.

I originally ordered my car with the 16's only to change my order to the 17's after a week.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts