Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I right in thinking that the roof of our Citroen's are made of really thin material? Possibly weight saving.

It's granted that if hail stones the size of golf balls will fall every car exposed will end up with a dented roof.

But when I wash my car the roof feels so thin and flimsy... I'm thinking that even not so big hail stones that will not dent other cars will in fact dent my Citroen's roof.

The below picture is just for reference..

Attachments

Registered
The first drive in a hailstorm was exceptionally noisy :( Glad most of roof is toughened glass :D

Registered
First saw your photo and thought.....Ohhh Nooo ....until I read your post - Phew !!!

Depends on hailstones really as no car is safe from the big ones and tough to get it repaired

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cactus4us said:
The first drive in a hailstorm was exceptionally noisy :( Glad most of roof is toughened glass :D
I think that the Pan roof will do better in a hail storm, then a non pan roof. As you said.. toughened glass ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnYoung said:
First saw your photo and thought.....Ohhh Nooo ....until I read your post - Phew !!!

Depends on hailstones really as no car is safe from the big ones and tough to get it repaired
Thanks for your concerns John.. :eek:

My question is.. With all this weight saving.. Is the roof actually thinner than the average car.

Registered
To me if you've got a pano roof there aint a lot of 'roof' left to make any difference. The toughened glass would (I'd have thought) weighed more than the metal roof anyway. So did you go for the solid roof (no pano) ? If this is the case I wouldn't have thought the roofs thickness is any thinner than the other panels.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All metal. Flimsy metal.

Registered
Kevin said:
JohnYoung said:

Thanks for your concerns John.. :eek:

My question is.. With all this weight saving.. Is the roof actually thinner than the average car.
No idea to be honest - I know the bonnet is aluminum to save which and is lovely and easy to lift compared to past cars

Registered
My last car was Peugeot 3008 (mk2) and before it was DS3. The DS3 roof felt much more durable compared to the 3008 that felt realy thin. Every car (hand) wash I needed to remind myself not to press too hard on the roof... but I looked at it as flexibility, and flexibility can deal with hailstone :)

Registered
Glad someone else raised the pano roof point. I reckon it's definitely tougher than the metal version! Should come into its own again soon when summer eventually arrives. Love the lightness inside the cabin.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ran said:
Every car (hand) wash I needed to remind myself not to press too hard on the roof... but I looked at it as flexibility, and flexibility can deal with hailstone :)
Maybe you are right.. It did cross my mind.

And it seems like you know what you are saying :oops:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where I live hail storms are violent.. just in case I do get a couple of dents there's the insurance ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol.. no scientific evidence they work though.

I'll prefer to buy another cactus if I have the money ;) :lol:

Registered
Had a Grand Picasso before the Cactus and even it had a tissue roof,got dents from falling chestnuts even.Would not chance it with the Cactus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts