Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to add this to the heater discussion but thought best not detract from the conversation going on there...

I left work this afternoon, got in the car and found that the front windscreen and dashboard was literally dripping wet. Across the bottom of the windscreen a large band of condensation was sitting and dripping onto the dash.

The AC has been on since the day I bought the car and has never been switched off (it switches itself off below temps anyway) and is always set in "Fresh Air" Mode (not recirc). Mats, carpets and seats are bone dry.

View attachment 281

Somewhat miffed as its ruined my work car pass (long story lets not go there... basically they're gold dust and don't want to have to ask for a new one) but also concerned that it would appear that the car is not either drying the air through the AC, getting warm enough to dry the air, or that there is water in the car somewhere e.g. blocked AC drain and hence high humidity. Its a lot worse than my old Minis used to be and thats saying something!

I don't know if any HDiBlue owners are experiencing the same but I am finding it an age for the car to heat up in the morning? I can drive 8miles/30mins commute and the car is only just about getting warm at the vents... I know diesels run cooler than petrol engines but would expect it to be quicker than this???...duff thermostat??

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes it takes a while to warm up. I have no damp or condensation. I never have the A/C on unless its a really hot day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have blue hdi manual heating with air con on about half the time. Mine blows out cold air for about 8 miles too in this kind of weather. No condensation for me though (touch wood).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine gets warm in about half a mile. You need to shut the fresh air vent and your car will warm up quickly as the heater radiator is closed off from the cold air otherwise you will not be able to keep the car hot. Also put the Air Conditioning on at least until your car gets hot. I also shut off the fresh air vent when I leave the car at home overnight as this keeps the outside moisture getting in your car. I know that it sounds a lot to do but modern cars are so insulated it can feel that you are in a fish tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The2ems said:
Isn't air con just supposed to blow cold air?
Nope, it also dries and "conditions" the air.

So AC is brilliant for using as a demister, it works far better once it's heated up.

I would be looking for water getting in somewhere. Or due to the short journey the car isn't getting enough heat to dry out the system.

Short journeys kill cars in winter. I would also check for condensation on your oil cap. As your used to old mini's, your probably used to the mayo that builds up in the breather systems during cold weather.

Give it a nice long run somewhere and see if that helps, at best it will help the engine to clear the condensation out of the oil as well.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I have the blue diesel and I have said on another tread I have no problems with heating or condensation. I have heating on auto 99% of the time without AC on and to demist or de-ice I use the button below screen for a few minutes and then back to auto and car is warm and toasty in about 3 mies or less. I actually think it's a much better heater and ventilation than my old Mazda 6

·
Registered
129 Posts
It does look like quite a bit, perhaps next time soak it out with a towel then do that for a few days to try and get rid?

·
Registered
735 Posts
One of these is perfect for the panoramic roof ;)
And all inside windows :)

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Available at most car accessory stores.

G

·

·
Registered
169 Posts
I took my car out today as the ice had finally thawed on the outside...

As usual, there was no condensation inside at all...and nor would I expect there to be. Unless you are bringing a lot of wet things into the car (and leaving them there) there should be no condensation inside at all, unless there is a leak somewhere. The last car on which I had this problem was found to have a poor seal on an opening tailgate window - once this was replaced there was no more interior condensation.

If you know you have not brought in a lot of water on clothes or similar, I would ask the dealer to perform a leak test.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To follow up on this and thinking a bit more...

The inside of the car is dry and no wet coats or any other items are left in the car. The floors are dry and there is no evidence of any leaks anywhere within the car. The only thing that has occured to me (as it was a problem I had with my old C4) is that the AC drain tube has blocked or become detactched. The consequence of this on the C4 was a large amount of water being held behind trim panels in and around the foot wells...so much so that as you took a roundabout, water would stream out of the floor vents :shock: It was a problem that inflicted both to 3/5 door C4 models and the Picassos. I am of course going on the assumption that the parts used are similar (hopefully not).

That all said its not happened since although I have purposly taken the car for a long drive with the heater on full blast (set to windscreen). As things got really hot a bit of a musky smell like old AC started to fester about the car, however having used it since its not come back.

Trouble is the car gets minimal use. We cycle to and from work every day and so for most of the week the car will spend the week sat on the drive. With the on set of the icy weather this week that stopped any ideas of cycling in its tracks and hence we started to use the car on a daily basis. I guess this is the result of lack of use during (an all be it warm) winter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts