Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

Help - Looking to buy new Cactus

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Rattlegun 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forum and looking to buy a Cactus 1.2 ETG 5 speed Flair. Overall I think the car is awesome.

I currently have the semi-auto C4 Grand Picasso with the 1.6 diesel and the main doubt that I have in my mind about the 1.2 is how slow the brochure says it is to 60 mph. My Picasso isn't fast and takes over 11 seconds but the Cactus is quoted at 15 seconds.

Does any one have any experience of the engine/gearbox? Is it happy to sit at 70/80 mph on the motorway or does it run out of puff/get noisy? Is it able to keep up with traffic along busy A roads?

My nearest dealer isn't able to get a demonstrator vehicle with the 1.2 82hp in it so looking for advice before I travel further to a different garage.

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
Hi,

I have ordered the Puretech 110 manual though I test drove the 82 manual because the dealer did not have a 110. I had similar concerns about oomph and noise. I asked the dealer for a longer than usual test drive, and had the vehicle to myself for about 4 hours. Note that I am way past boy racer stage, so I don't 'push it' anymore. My concern was about not having a little extra if needed in emergency, noise and the mushy gear stick.

I took the car on the motorway for a few junctions and it did well. The engine was fine and it was easy to get to 70 and happy to sit there, and there was extra if needed. I never felt that the car was lacking anything, I drive a 1.6 Laguna and the Cactus compared well. As for noise, I did get hacked off early on because of the noise on the motorway (M4). However, I realised that I was on a fairly rough road surface and as soon as I hit a smooth section it was much better.

I also took the car up some good hills on A and B roads without any problems. I did need some extra changes going up hill but that was partly about me getting used to the car. The car held up well against other traffic on both the Motorway and A&B roads, and noise overall was only an issue on poorly surfaced roads. The gear stick is not as bad as some reviewers suggest, its like any car, after an hour you get used to it.

I had no concerns at all. You could test drive the 82 and see how it feels, the 110 will only be an improvement.

I think it is worth insisting on a longer test drive on your own, and planning what you are going to do with your time in the car.

I hope this helps.

Steve

G
#4 ·
Ferrarilover said:
Hi, I am new to the forum and looking to buy a Cactus 1.2 ETG 5 speed Flair. Overall I think the car is awesome.
Thanks for your help!
I have the Flair 1.2 ETG5 I've had it now for about four months. Like you I was very apprehensive about the power and how smooth the ETG would be. I had taken a test drive but that isn't really long enough.

I must say how impressed with it I am, the power is more than adequate. I don't do a lot of motorway driving but cruising at 70 is effortless and it still has plenty of puff to overtake when necessary so it shouldn't be a problem.

The ETG gearbox is really smooth. I did read reviews for the ETG6 in the diesel saying it was jerky but that certainly doesn't apply to the ETG, plus it learns how you drive.

My only criticism is the creep function which seems jerky so when I am in a queue of traffic I let the car in-front get far enough away so that I can use the accelerator to catch up to it.

The Cactus meets all my expectations if not more.

G
#7 ·
Ferrarilover said:
Thanks Keith. Two good reviews is making me feel better.
Looking to get the Flair with red /black, sunroof and parking pack! Can't wait to have a drive now.
Mine is the Flair Shark Grey also with black air bumps, panoramic sunroof and city parking pack, which I'm afraid haven't had the bottle to use yet, but I do live in the country. :)

#8 ·
The self parking that I have on the Picasso works fine and you have control as you do the speed. However I am good at parking and find that by the time I have pressed the buttons to get it to measure the space I could have peaked it myself. Especially with the camera.

#11 ·
had my i.2 manual for 6 months and must say that I have no issues with power .. pulls away at a decent lick and would be very very surprised if 0-60 is anything like 15 seconds and there's always plenty of power under your right foot .. .. motorways are no issues with plenty left at 70mph in case its needed..
I love the car and had had no issues with the engine and not a single regret about the purchase .. it makes me smile every time I drive it .. the family love it and its definitely a conversation starter in car parks ... Get one .............. best thing I have done for a long while ..

#12 ·
Just had a 1.2 etg for 3 days and it's superb, still getting used to the 1st -2nd transition as pulling out of junctions is always a critical time. The paddles are great for knocking it down one ready for a roundabout or whatever too, not that it matters if you don't, just a bit of fun :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.