Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,I have ordered cactus flair etg in silver I don't want it until end of March so hopefully will be here by then ,I only had a short test drive with dealer driving, and didn't notice the horror stories that journalists seem to have with the ETG gearbox hoping someone on here will put my mind at rest :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi exseafarer,

Welcome to the fold. I have owned a C4 VTR+ with the (then known as) EGS - electronic gearbox system - for over 6 years and yes, the 'auto' gear change does take a little getting used to but you find that you get tuned to the gearbox and after a while you anticipate when it's going to change and ease off the throttle a little, which does make the change pretty smooth.

I don't personally think the gear change is that bad anyway, even without easing off the throttle and I think it should be viewed as a happy medium between a manual and a fuel hungry full auto.

I have had 4 fully automatic cars before this C4 and I am more than happy with the ETG gear change.

I have ordered a Cactus Flair ETG, after a one hour solo test drive, which I learned today has been made and should be in my sticky fingers in around 2 weeks, I hope it gives me the same reliable service as my C4.

I hope this has put your mind at rest a little, it's not an automatic but it's close enough for me.

Regards, Chris.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris that is a big help ,I have a seat leon with DSG,at the moment I expect the cactus to be different but nowhere near as bad as the Journalists make out. your car will be well run in by the time I get mine I hate the waiting lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re the etg6 gearbox. I've had my Cactus since September and provided you drive the car like a normal human being the gearbox is fine. As Chris says if you lift of a little as it changes it's as smooth as a full auto. The flappy paddle down change is instant and perfect for overtaking. I think the motoring journalists have knocked the etg box because they probably thrash the cars they have on loan. If you do drive this gearbox fast, then yes you do feel the changes, but then you would on a manual box too. I find my Cactus a joy to drive, it's supremely comfortable, quiet and economical.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tim said:
Re the etg6 gearbox. I've had my Cactus since September and provided you drive the car like a normal human being the gearbox is fine. As Chris says if you lift of a little as it changes it's as smooth as a full auto. The flappy paddle down change is instant and perfect for overtaking. I think the motoring journalists have knocked the etg box because they probably thrash the cars they have on loan. If you do drive this gearbox fast, then yes you do feel the changes, but then you would on a manual box too. I find my Cactus a joy to drive, it's supremely comfortable, quiet and economical.
Couldn't say it better!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts