Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner

HIFI loudspeakers upgrade

18K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  StevieJ 
#1 ·
Hi folks! I have the Cactus with 6 loudspeakers (two in front of the dashboard, and one in each door), DAB-radio, jukebox and iPhone stream.
The sound is crappy :-(

I want to replace the original speakers to something with better sound - that fits in the original framing and wires.
Any suggestions??

#5 ·
Hi jonoc4,

I have not experienced the sound quality of the Feel model but the sound from my Flair is very good. It is a good rounded sound across the frequency range and channel separation seems excellent, with 'surround sounds' coming from all around the car as they were recorded. I was listening to my Queen Live Killers album, from USB stick, on the way home today and it really was all good.

Obviously, we are talking about listening to music in a relatively noisy and oddly shaped/sized environment, so i'm not sure what the same system would sound like against a Hi Fi system at home but I am more than happy with mine.

Cheers, Chris.

#7 ·
i have found the best settings to be-
bass +2
treble full
i would ordinarily have bass really high on previous cars but at +2 it seems to be fine, it goes low when it needs too and doesn't distort like it does when it's increased i was upset with the sound to begin with but im happy with it now and i DO HAVE IT ON VERY LOUD!!!!! :twisted:
another thing to note is that each input can be set separately iirc the DAB needed it around +3 or +4 but the usb and bluetooth were best at +2 ;)

#9 ·
The "Hi-Fi pack has upgraded "hi-fi" speakers (6 speakers) - the 16GB Jukebox and an "Arkamys" amplifier.

Not sure if this means the speakers are different if you don't have the Hi-Fi pack.

I'm guessing the Hi-Fi pack is available on all models (it is combined with the Navigation pack).

#10 ·
I also went for the 6-speaker upgrade and I'm also quite disappointed.

First of all, the sound isolation of the car is quite poor. The wind, road and engine noise on a highway is really quite high.

But second, that these 6-speakers can't properly make good sound over the noise feels a bit weird. It feels like there is no mid registry at all.

As someone said, the "deadening" of the sound in certain frequencies is surprisingly high.

Also, unless I put the balance almost all the way to the back, it feels as if I only get sound from the windscreen.

Please note, I don't think they're broken or badly installed, I just think they're really weak and poorly balanced.

But I guess you get what you pay for (the car is pretty cheap compared to the competition).

#11 ·
Did u get this sorted. I was thinking on getting an upgrade to the 6 speakers and perhaps a sub in the spare wheel area.

Do u know if the amp in the 6 speaker upgrade is upgradable ie does it have a standard output feed it is it inbuilt into the head unit

#14 ·
I'm assuming its a similar set up on the Cactus but there is a screen removal guide for the 208 here...

http://www.208ownersclub.co.uk/forum/touch-screen-and-head-unit-removal_topic1101.html

It would appear there is a faceless "DIN sized" unit embedded into the dash which I assume is the radio/media interface. You'll see in the images there are what appear to be standard DIN connectors behind that... Whether there is enough room behind that to install anymore wiring, anyones guess until one comes out!

#16 ·
eobet said:
I also went for the 6-speaker upgrade and I'm also quite disappointed.

First of all, the sound isolation of the car is quite poor. The wind, road and engine noise on a highway is really quite high.

But second, that these 6-speakers can't properly make good sound over the noise feels a bit weird. It feels like there is no mid registry at all.

As someone said, the "deadening" of the sound in certain frequencies is surprisingly high.

Also, unless I put the balance almost all the way to the back, it feels as if I only get sound from the windscreen.

Please note, I don't think they're broken or badly installed, I just think they're really weak and poorly balanced.

But I guess you get what you pay for (the car is pretty cheap compared to the competition).
Agreed. on Motorway driving, I might as well have the radio switched off, there feels like very little, if any sound deadening. Local A and B roads are not too bad, but there's no such chance of 'going for a quiet drive.' I don't think the cactus is alone in this, but Fords for example are so much more refined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.