Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck do I play music once I connect my iPhone via the car interface?

One would think that pushing down on the scroll wheel would do it, but no.

·
Registered
626 Posts
How are you connecting the phone to the car?... Cable or Bluetooth?

Bluetooth
Are you absolutely 100% sure the phone is connected via Bluetooth as I have some issues with both an iPhone 6 and 4s connecting? For the 6 it for some reason refused initially but eventually connected. The 4s I had to restore the phone for it to connect. Both were connected as "telephones" and offered the function but neither would initially stream music (they do now).

Select the 'Music' Page on the screen

Top Right 'Source'

Select 'Bluetooth' (I think thats what it says - basically not DAB or FM options! - the 'Phone' option the 'B' icon...) and it usually starts playing automatically from there once the connection has been establish (there is usually a slight pause).

Lead
If you plug the Source in with a lead (Ive been using an old Nano for this) it usually starts automatically.

Control can be either via the Phone/ iPod interface or the Car scroll...or screen. Initially I'd use on device controls to establish the working connection then try using the on car controls. The manual does state that original Apple Leads should be used...although I think this is more to do with the licensing permissions granted by Apple...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to pair my phones to the car, basically through the Bluetooth setting on the iPhone , now it just connects automatically , the steering wheel controls seem to have a little felt but works fine , if I plug the phone in to charge it initially asked me to install an app now it works much better :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BristolRich said:
or the Car scroll...or screen. Initially I'd use on device controls to establish the working connection then try using the on car controls. The manual does state that original Apple Leads should be used...although I think this is more to do with the licensing permissions granted by Apple...
How do I even play / pause on the screen? I can't see a button for it.

My problem is that I don't want to have to initially use the device. I want to plug it in, and press play on the car without having to unlock it.

I mean, I can see the album art and song appear without me having to do anything, but I just can't get it to play without touching the iPhone.

Also, the car seems to completely disregard playlists and last playing position, which is a major bummer...

I'm using an original Apple USB cable, but it doesn't always automatically start playing my music.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jay said:
I had to pair my phones to the car, basically through the Bluetooth setting on the iPhone , now it just connects automatically , the steering wheel controls seem to have a little felt but works fine , if I plug the phone in to charge it initially asked me to install an app now it works much better :)
Hi
What's the app called that it's asked you to install?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you plug your phone in with the wire it will prompt you to install it , I think it was called smeg ?? , I will try it tomorrow with a different iPhone

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not have internet the first time I plugged my phone in and it has never asked to install anything since. Maybe I will ask Citroen about it.

I just discovered that I cannot answer calls on my phone if I have it plugged in through USB alone, so I now have to plug it in via both USB and bluetooth.

And I still cannot find anywhere on the car to press play.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Regarding the installation of software I dont believe you do need to install anything? At least I havnt had to and still works ok (iPhone 6/ IOS8.latest).

That said however on occasions getting in the car, switching on the ignition, the phone does very briefly (so quick you cant read the warning) a message about "xx_VTS APP Error" or something. That said there is no effect on function performance and everything works correctly.

The only thing I would suggest is work methodically through the different methods of connections to the car. Cancel the pairing to Bluetooth and start by connecting the phone to the car with the lead. On connecting the iPod or compatable source to the car it should automatically start playing. If it doesnt select the apropriate source from the source menu if not already selected.

If that doesnt work then try pairing the bluetooth to your source and again see if that works. TBH I dont bother using the bluetooth connection as a means of music source as I have found it to be a bit flakey dropping out here and there on occasion. I retain the Bluetooth connection however and it appears to be working for phone comms.

If that doesnt work then try a USB drive with a couple of files on it to see if that works, again selecting the Source from the apropriate menu.

If that doesnt work then I'd return to the dealer for some assistance. It may be that one of the modules need a reflash or even that the car wasnt configured correctly at PDI. From my experience of my previous Citroen and associated Forum this is not unusual. There are many menu options on the BSI that can be selected and deselected that enable/disable on board car functions which are typically dependant on trim or fitted option packs. It is litterally as simple as "ticking a box" on a screen and it becoming enabled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your lengthy reply. Perhaps I missed it in all the text, but did you mention how to start playing music without touching my iPhone?

·
Registered
626 Posts
BristolRich said:
Bluetooth
Select 'Bluetooth' (I think thats what it says - basically not DAB or FM options! - the 'Phone' option the 'B' icon...) and it usually starts playing automatically from there once the connection has been establish (there is usually a slight pause).

Lead
If you plug the Source in with a lead (Ive been using an old Nano for this) it usually starts automatically.
BristolRich said:
On connecting the iPod or compatable source to the car it should automatically start playing. If it doesnt select the apropriate source from the source menu if not already selected.
You do not need to press play on the Apple device.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just to add an update to this...

This morning I plugged in my iPod and got absolutely nothing. Not even recognised via the source button.

After three or four attempts of turning off and on of the car, iPod and everything else in between I couldn't get it to work.

On unplugging the iPod a warning came up on the screen - NO AUDIO FILES FOUND!

A hard reset of the iPod resolved the issue and once plugged in the car could see (and play) the iPod.

So....it could be that the above thread is not necessarily an issue with the car and potentially the iPod/ iPhone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I've had that problem to and it went away.

Auto play still only works sporadically.

I still have no way of pausing or playing my iPhone content from the steering wheel.

I mailed Citroen and they responded with "oops, yeah we should have thought of that. fat chance of it being implemented correctly, though".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.