Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am just wondering if anyone has switched out their indicator, reverse, brake lights for LEDs?

I am not sure what fittings they are, a friend said Canbus but I'm not sure what type of fitting.

Would be grateful if anyone had any advice.

Cheers

Ron

·
Registered
626 Posts
The bulb fittings will be easy to cross reference over to those in the manual however...

Fitting of led bulbs is likely to throw up problems. Because the led bulbs draw far less current than standard bulbs they are likely to throw up an error on the dash. To overcome this you need to work out what resistor you need to over come this.

The CANBUS system will also do weird things to the lights. For example you can find bulbs very dimly lit due to the residual CANBUS current going through them even when the car is stopped locked and keys removed.

As an aside the CANBUS systems on Citroens is very suseptable to changes in current and loading. The amount you can add onto it by simply seeking a 12v is very small and can create problems. Some even found adding length of wire to resolve a wiring problem on the C4 Coupe was enough for it to have a wobble.

It can be done but there is a lot of trial and error. Might be worth scouring a DS3/ C4 forum and seeing what bulbs people are using?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply Rich. I'll check it out. I'm glad I asked now rather than just going for any of the ones advertised.

I'll stick with mine in the meantime.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
626 Posts
No worries.

The problem arrises from the generic term of "CANBUS Ready" or "Error Free Bulb" to advertise the bulbs. The CANBUS systems vary across the manufacturers and there is no one simple standard LED bulb with the correct resistance to fit all vehicles with sucessful results.

Buying a set of bulbs and trying wont harm the car (due to the lower resistance and loading - noting any bulb polarity warnings) and it might be ok...on the other hand you may find that it pings up a dash error (bulb failure) or do weird things as my previous post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
G

·
Has anyone managed to change the interior bulb? I'm finding it difficult to get into the console housing the overheard bulb. The instructions in the handbook say use a flat screwdriver and unzip but it doesn't seem that easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts