Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My manual gearbox has seemingly stiffened up over the last week.
It was fine, smooth changing, now it seems to have lost some of its smoothness, as if it needs some lubrication.
I'm quite inexperienced at these things, I was just wondering if anybody has any advice?
The car is only 7 months or so old, there was 5000 on the clock when I bought it, so it was "run in" so should I call Citroen Or the dealership with my concerns?

G

·
Bewar3them00n said:
My manual gearbox has seemingly stiffened up over the last week.
It was fine, smooth changing, now it seems to have lost some of its smoothness, as if it needs some lubrication.
I'm quite inexperienced at these things, I was just wondering if anybody has any advice?
The car is only 7 months or so old, there was 5000 on the clock when I bought it, so it was "run in" so should I call Citroen Or the dealership with my concerns?
I definitely would as it doesn't sound right. If there is a problem better to catch sooner than later.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went and checked the gearbox last night after posting, just to make sure I wasn't making it up, and yes it was stiff and clunky and a bit agricultural in it's changes.
I called Citroen and explained the issue, they booked it in for a diagnostic, checking to see if there was any recall out on my model, thankfully no, so it's all booked in for a while you wait, if it needs further investigation/parts etc. they will provide a courtesy car. All under warranty
So far so good, hopefully it won't be away too long...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the Cactus down to Citroen, the chief mechanic gave it a test drive, I explained that the gear changes used to be very smooth, now it had picked up a more notchy gear change.
The mechanic said that this was par for the course with this gearbox, and that there was nothing he could really do, it was technically fine, no issues he could see.
Something else he did pick up was a rattle, being caused by the brake cables, easily sorted out.
Another thing I did see however, was rust water at the base of the steering column, he took photos and will send a report, he will contact me if there's anything further that needs to be done.
Not 100% satisfied, but atleast I have piece of mind that there's nothing going wrong with the car.

G

·
Bewar3them00n said:
Took the Cactus down to Citroen, the chief mechanic gave it a test drive, I explained that the gear changes used to be very smooth, now it had picked up a more notchy gear change. The mechanic said that this was par for the course with this gearbox, and that there was nothing he could really do, it was technically fine, no issues he could see.
I thought that things were supposed to loosen up and get smoother the more miles you do.

Hopefully some members with a manual gearbox who have done a decent mileage can give you some info on their experience,

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You have to be careful they are not fobbing you off. I remember years back I had a Lada Niva 4X4 and we had some gearbox problem and the dealer said they would fix it which they did not and this went on for ages with us going back and fourth. Anyway time came to get rid of it and the garage we traded it into said someone had broken some part on the gearbox when servicing it and they had also left out loads of bolts. That garage forced the previous garage to pay for the fix and it was sorted - soon after the initial garage (the dealer) went bust.

We thought they were good friends and we bought them Christmas cards etc and all along they were rogues..... just goes to show

If you are unsure go to a different dealer

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to see how it goes over the next few months, get a few opinions from friends on the gearbox, and if I'm still not happy, go to another Citroen dealer, there's one neat to where I work

·
Registered
344 Posts
got to say I'd expect the gearbox to get more sloppy not stiffer.
I'm fully expecting this one to be the same as the C3 was. a sloppy stirring action with a false neutral between fifth and fourth.

Its a Citroen what do you expect. :D

could be an Audi using 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles (they'll tell you thats normal) :lol:
just depends on where you want your engineering quality. :twisted:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As it's my first car, I really just wanted to make sure it wasn't a herald of something worse to come, maybe on a long trip with a car full of wife and kids!
To be honest it's totally useable, just missing the wonderfully smooth gerarbox I had a month ago......
Apparently it's a man thing, to gear change too fast and too forceably, while women ( I'm told) "guide it in" gently! so I'm now changing slower and more deliberately.
I was also wondering if the fact that I bought it 6 months old with 5000 miles on the clock meant it was doing considerably more miles per month than I will be putting on it in the same time period, so it may have been looser, then tightened up because I wasn't using it very much?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've been driving for 48 years, and I've never understood the need to "whip" through the gears. You should try driving my VW camper :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yeah I don;t whip through gears and the Cactus does lend itself to slower steady driving BUT the gearbox should not be changing in the feel of the gear change

·
Registered
344 Posts
Might be worth going to another Garage.
if it's gone notchy I'd be looking at;
gear linkage bushes
bearing on the gear shift.
gearbox seals.
or if it's been thrashed the dogs in the gearbox (selector forks) not very likely.

given the amount of water that came down this winter it's quite possible that grit etc could have got in.

get a second opinion!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm off up to the Peak District in a few weeks, so will be monitoring how it handles and if I'm still not convinced " that's how they are" ( Citroen mechanic) I will be getting a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
berapotter said:
Might be worth going to another Garage.
if it's gone notchy I'd be looking at;
gear linkage bushes
bearing on the gear shift.
gearbox seals.
or if it's been thrashed the dogs in the gearbox (selector forks) not very likely.

given the amount of water that came down this winter it's quite possible that grit etc could have got in.

get a second opinion!
Exactly :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bewar3them00n said:
Took the Cactus down to Citroen, the chief mechanic gave it a test drive, I explained that the gear changes used to be very smooth, now it had picked up a more notchy gear change.
The mechanic said that this was par for the course with this gearbox, and that there was nothing he could really do, it was technically fine, no issues he could see.
Seems unlikely that there are many cactus around with notchy gearboxes for the mechanic to state that its par for the course, unless he knows that its been fitted to various previous models which have shown the same symptoms.

Looking on the web it does seem to be an issue for some older Citroen models, and particularly for some with cable linkage drying up - apparently possible for the owner/driver to overcome by introducing lubrication into the cable ends, but not a quick job.

So does anyone know if the Cactus gear shift linkage is rods or cables?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
davew said:
Bewar3them00n said:
Seems unlikely that there are many cactus around with notchy gearboxes for the mechanic to state that its par for the course, unless he knows that its been fitted to various previous models which have shown the same symptoms.

Looking on the web it does seem to be an issue for some older Citroen models, and particularly for some with cable linkage drying up - apparently possible for the owner/driver to overcome by introducing lubrication into the cable ends, but not a quick job.

So does anyone know if the Cactus gear shift linkage is rods or cables?
He implied that they were cables. my Cactus is a 25TH August 2015 build date.
All I can do is get some opinions from other drivers, and get friends and family to have a look, then I can go and get a 2nd opinion at another Citroen garage.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Some of the currently active people in the forums have been members from early on - might be an idea to look through the member list and find a few with similar engine/gearbox as yours and ask them directly ( private message) if they have any comments or similar experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, where the gear shifting isn't smooth at all.

When I contacted the local Citroen garage they told me that there's nothing wrong with my car. A few months later, when I took it in for service they said that machanically its fine, but they reset some software in order to try to improve the situation. I guess they just tried to get rid of me, because I can't imagine how this could possibly be software related.

Unfortunattly, I can't take the car to another Citroen garage, because in my country we have only one service centre. On the other hand, if I get it checked by an unauthorised machanic it will probably void the warranty. Right?

After having the car for around a year and a half I thing I got used to it. However, if anyone happens to have the the same issue and managed to solve it, please let us know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts