Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

As the title explains I've just passed my test yesterday at the age of 35 (Yeah I know I wish I done it sooner also haha) and I've fallen in love with how the Cactus looks.

Whilst I'm waiting for my licence to come in the post I've been looking at autotrader, gumtree etc trying to find a decent car for the money.

We have a budget of £5000 all in for the car, most of them within our budget are over 80k miles. Is there anything I need to be looking out for when going to view/test drive the C4 Cactus?

I've seen two within budget and within an hour of where I live:
One is a 2014 (64 reg) 1.6 BlueHDi Feel Hatchback 5dr Diesel Euro 6 (s/s) (100 ps) with 91,500 miles @ £4990 (From a Dealership)

The other is a 2015 (15 reg) 1.6 BlueHDi Feel Euro 6 Diesal (s/s) 5dr with 116,500 miles @£4750 (Private Seller)

I can provide autotrader links if needed.

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you can wait about six months or so (as second hand car residuals are quite high at present) you could pick a good medium mile (under 70:000 mile 17 - 18 plate) Cactus privately for Five thousand quid (or less if purchased from a auction sale) but take someone savvy in diesel addition green tech.

Most things that go wrong with a diesel powered Cactus, go wrong with most diesel car models. 15:60cc ford powered diesel is the one to go for, whether the ADI blu has been removed (best type) or one that has it still fitted but renewed recently . As without either option, it could cost you dearly.

Unless you know someone with a laptop and debugging software, or cheap parts to fix the fuc& when your Cactus goes into the dreaded countdown/limp mode.

And like most eco diesels, none of them can give you 70mpg + with no problems. More mpg you try to squeeze from a eco diesel the more the Dpf fills up. So unless you wish to spoon lots of very sticky ash particles out of the Dpf every three months or so, a bit of a catch 22 situation.

Just scour most of the posts on this forum first :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: You will get the general consensus.

Reactions: dannybizal

·
Super Moderator
240 Posts
Generally with any cars of that mileage you're looking for decent service history and a generally check over of the consumable parts such as the exhaust, suspension (bushes etc) and the usual bits under the bonnet. The only extra I'd insist on seeing with any older BlueHDi car is evidence that the AdBlue tank has been replaced for the newer version that doesn't break and suddenly try and cost you £1500+ for a new one if you want carry on using the car. I'm sure many don't care about this but our car had the issue and it was really stressful thinking we'd have to pay a fortune for it diagnosing and then even more for it fixing (Citroen often cover the cost of this but not always) - when I sell ours this will be something I really highlight as a bonus.

Everything else is really car buying basics, accident damage, decent tyres and a general feel the car has been looked after rather than neglected until it fails the MOT (plug the reg in, see what the MOT history is like).

There's lots of the "the usual suspects" posted on here but it's only a snapshot of a handful of cars when something goes wrong so not always indicative of the car in general but buy carefully and budget for an extended warranty for peace of mind, you might never need it but if you do you'll be grateful as Citroen follow the policy of a lot of manufacturers these days where odd little parts cost lots of money that don't seem to reflect how little these cars cost when new :)

Spec things carefully, we get a lot of folk asking if X, Y or Z options can be fitted at a later date, the answer is usually no, check the door bottoms for signs of corrosion.

You've probably seen them already but check the buyers guides and good luck with your search, don't rush into the first one you see.

And so on...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, thank you both for your replies.

I ended up going to a dealership today and ended up getting a C3 Aircross haha. A bit above budget but a car that will hopefully last us 5-6 years and it was our plan to get as a second car after the Cactus anyway. Gad to be a apart of the Citroen family though :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
We have one of those as well.
(y)
They are a good little car. a bit soft for my liking but much the same gear as the cactus. but much newer than you originally looked at, so some of the PSA wrinkles ironed out.
the C3/C5 aircross site is available. if you have any problems hit that site and this site. there are some of us on both (personally I think this site being older has more reference stuff on it).
Enjoy your new experience. (license and car)(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts