Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just changed from a Honda FRV to a Cactus Blue HDi and in general I'm hugely impressed with my new car. I find it really
comfortable, light to drive and love the look of it.

My motives for changing were that I had done 110,000 miles in the Honda and wanted a more efficient daily commute that could still
cope with three kids in the back. After reading all the reviews I could find as well as the forums here I took the plunge and traded in my FRV for an
ex lease Flair Cactus that has only done 4000 miles. (white pearlescent with panoramic roof and the upgraded sound system)

After almost a week my observations are as follows, I'll start with the positive and move onto the things I'm hoping will improve or become non issues.

1) I was initially a bit disappointed with the 6 speaker sound system but have found that if you turn off loudness, equaliser options and select
the driver as the focus for balance that it sounds really really good. I cant recommend highly enough turning off "Loudness". Turned on it just ups the base and makes everything sound muddy at least to my ears.

2) I have on one occasion seen the touchscreen go nuts when starting with the outside temperature at 4 degrees. I got the reported "Multimedia system temporarily unavailable" message multiple times and the track list that was playing scrolled on its own. I'm assuming this was moisture related. Not great but has only happened once and stopped after 5 mins once the car warmed up.

3) The My Citroen iPhone app is OK when it works, but a bit depressing to see the fuel consumption.

4) My justification in buying the cactus was based on the reduced fuel cost. The best I've managed is 61mpg when driving with just me on my 20 mile
commute. My low was today with 4 passengers at about 40mpg. This is no where near what I was expecting although the route was anything but flat
Has anyone found that their milage improved over time? I'm hoping that the cars low milage may go some way in explaining the difference between my expectation of around 70 and the reality as I would expect things to loosen off over time.

5) The reversing camera could do with a wiper.

6) I have yet to find an AC setting that stops misting in wet weather without selecting the deafening clear screen button.

7) Its predicting a service in 5000 miles which seems a bit soon. (9000 total approx)

8) The dealer suppled a set of mats for a C4 that dont really fit can anyone recommend a supplier with decent quality that fit well?

9) Researching roof bars looks like they are all hellishly expensive at around 200 quid. Has anyone found generic non Thule ones at an affordable price?
I'm looking to use them occasionally for Bikes and Christmas tree :)

Thanks For reading, any advice gratefully received,
Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
I only got my Cactus on Friday, so can't be of much help yet. With regard to your question about mats, I bought the rubber mats for the Cactus from Citroen, they fit very well. I'll take note of you comment about the Loudness setting, and will try that in the morning.

Regards

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Clair, perhaps its the weather or my wet kids, but I tried that and it still steamed up.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think people have found the mpg goes up as the engine loosens up BUT I would've thought the 4000 miles would have done that already. People who have worked out mpg manually have found it's higher than it says on the screen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your first point about turning off the loudness option looks to be a good tip and I'll have to try that tomorrow. I've found the audio to be good for music, but when the DJ starts talking between songs I've found it difficult to follow what they are saying due to how muddy their voice sounds.

In terms of servicing then the Cactus is on a 1 year or 10000 mile service interval for all models.

For the roof bars then the Citroen website suggests the official Cactus roof bars are £124.09. Try contacting your local dealers parts department as it wouldn't be the first time official products have been cheaper than 3rd party parts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@ evilpaul, my servicing states one year or 15000 miles. It's on 14054 to go at the moment ??? Anyone else have this ?

Tony

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Interesting read.... I find the auto mode for heater works fine but you have to have the AC selected or if you use non-auto select window (arrow up) and turn fan up a few notches it keeps the window clear but if you use the window heater button the AC will come on and then you have to keep using the AC on after that or it will just up again .... Hope that makes sense :shock:

My millage is very good and often get the high 60s around the doors ( 1.6 Diesel 100 bhp)

Music is good but you are right you need to mess with settings a bit and jukebox always sounds way better for some reason.

I wish you could disable eco mode or at least have the button work better - took over five presses today to disable it. I honestly thought it was broken :?

·
Registered
328 Posts
ferrisimo said:
Hi,

I've just changed from a Honda FRV to a Cactus Blue HDi and in general I'm hugely impressed with my new car. I find it really
comfortable, light to drive and love the look of it.

My motives for changing were that I had done 110,000 miles in the Honda and wanted a more efficient daily commute that could still
cope with three kids in the back. After reading all the reviews I could find as well as the forums here I took the plunge and traded in my FRV for an
ex lease Flair Cactus that has only done 4000 miles. (white pearlescent with panoramic roof and the upgraded sound system)

After almost a week my observations are as follows, I'll start with the positive and move onto the things I'm hoping will improve or become non issues.

1) I was initially a bit disappointed with the 6 speaker sound system but have found that if you turn off loudness, equaliser options and select
the driver as the focus for balance that it sounds really really good. I cant recommend highly enough turning off "Loudness". Turned on it just ups the base and makes everything sound muddy at least to my ears.

2) I have on one occasion seen the touchscreen go nuts when starting with the outside temperature at 4 degrees. I got the reported "Multimedia system temporarily unavailable" message multiple times and the track list that was playing scrolled on its own. I'm assuming this was moisture related. Not great but has only happened once and stopped after 5 mins once the car warmed up.

3) The My Citroen iPhone app is OK when it works, but a bit depressing to see the fuel consumption.

4) My justification in buying the cactus was based on the reduced fuel cost. The best I've managed is 61mpg when driving with just me on my 20 mile
commute. My low was today with 4 passengers at about 40mpg. This is no where near what I was expecting although the route was anything but flat
Has anyone found that their milage improved over time? I'm hoping that the cars low milage may go some way in explaining the difference between my expectation of around 70 and the reality as I would expect things to loosen off over time.

5) The reversing camera could do with a wiper.

6) I have yet to find an AC setting that stops misting in wet weather without selecting the deafening clear screen button.

7) Its predicting a service in 5000 miles which seems a bit soon. (9000 total approx)

8) The dealer suppled a set of mats for a C4 that dont really fit can anyone recommend a supplier with decent quality that fit well?

9) Researching roof bars looks like they are all hellishly expensive at around 200 quid. Has anyone found generic non Thule ones at an affordable price?
I'm looking to use them occasionally for Bikes and Christmas tree :)

Thanks For reading, any advice gratefully received,
Cheers,
Dave
Hi Dave, I can answer a few of these based on my own experience.

4. I'm getting between 58-61 MPG from my 1.6 100 Diesel. Same as a Ford Bmax (which is taller and heavier) and less than a Seat Leon (70 MPG)

5. I've never had one of these and I like it, a quick wipe with a tissue first thing sorts the misting.

6. Mine mists a lot. And it's annoying that when I press the quick clear button it does not turn off if I haven't already got the fan on. Another related annoyance is that the front vents do not close when the fan is not in use, have to press the in car circulation button.

·
Registered
328 Posts
JohnYoung said:
If you have it on recycling air it will mist up windows. Why do you want window vents to close ?
I'm not talking window vents John, but grill vents

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wish you could disable eco mode or at least have the button work better - took over five presses today to disable it. I honestly thought it was broken :?[/quote]
Look in the book. My eco mode is allways off..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Unless you have money to burn, why disable it? I have been astonished on occasion to see the length of time eco mode has been engaged on a journey. It undoubtedly makes a big improvement in fuel consumption - once you get used to it, it becomes quite normal and saves you money. Restart is instantaneous.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ditto to that, give yourself a chance to get used to it and it becomes second nature. But if you're in a long queue moving just a few yards/metre's at a time then disable it, obviously.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I tend to use it all the time... I spent 15 minutes in a motorway tailback today - 10 of those had the eco mode engaged. I never fail to be amazed at how much of a journey is spent stationary... Maybe I am fortunate with the ETG box in that if I use the handbrake rather than the footbrake, eco mode does not engage. This is odd, in my opinion, as using the handbrake disengages the clutch, so that a restart of the engine would not cause the car to move, yet at night when I have to use the footbrake, I may dazzle a driver behind. No logic to it, imho.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Blactus said:
JohnYoung said:
If you have it on recycling air it will mist up windows. Why do you want window vents to close ?
I'm not talking window vents John, but grill vents
Ahhh right.... If you turn them to the right fully they shut off

No I do use the eco mode and it does work very well supose I am just old school having spent many hours under cars with cut and sore fingers changing starter motors it worries me a little putting extra strain on it re-starting all the time. But it has full warranty so maybe I should care less

1 - 20 of 32 Posts