Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, having recently got my cactus second had from a garage, I checked the oil after a few days to discover it was just about on the bottom of the dip stick, the problem was an ill fitting oil filter seal, or so I was told, since getting the car back from the garage I've checked the oil daily and the level has dropped to 3/4 full, with signs of oil drips on the tray under the engine, but since then it's stayed constant. I'm returning it to the garage on Friday for further investigation. A guy at work suggested the engine may run at 3/4 full so the excess oil will have been forced out of the engine. My question is, does the engine oil need to be full or do they run at 3/4. Oh, it's a 1.6 blue hdi.
Many thanks.
Simon.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As long as the oil is filled anywhere between Min and Max then the level is fine. The drips may have occurred from lazy filling of the engine and this is fresh oil that has collected on top of the undertray.

HOWEVER...

Overfilling an engine with oil can do as much damage or more than running it with minimal amount. The oil can be forced past gaskets and seals and into the combustion cycle and friction surfaces. Once oil has tracked through it will continue until the surfaces are cleaned or the seals/gaskets replaced.

Of a more immediate concern...How sure are you that they have overfilled the engine oil? Overfilling a diesel engine is an absolute no go. If engine oil enters the combustion chamber of the engine then you will encounter a diesel runaway* and catastrophic engine failure will occur.

My advice is to return the vehicle to the garage (or your local dealer) and have all the leaks investigated (it should NOT leak anywhere) and confirm that the oil levels are within the manufacturers tolerances.

* Diesel runaway occurs when engine oil enters the combustion chamber. It is a self perpetuating situation where the continued supply of engine oil increases the speed of the engine and hence the increased supply of engine oil hence the increased speed of the engine and more oil... The effect is that the engine will continue to increase in revs until destruction. You have absolutely no control over the action and it will continue to occur with the ignition and electrical supplies off or removed. Hot engine surfaces provide the ignition source and only through suffocation of the engine - e.g stuffing a jumper in the inlet - will cause it to stop. By that point the damage has already been done.

demonstrates how quickly it can occur...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Maybe I am old school but engine oil should be at the Max level when all is well and no higher. You can run it lower at a push but it should still be at its proper mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm returning it to the garage where I purchased it from on Friday for more investigation. I know it shouldn't leak but it also seems funny that it has stopped leaking at the 3/4 full mark. I also presume the oil level should be on max as a matter of course. I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all, just an update on my cactus oil leak. The garage have got to the bottom of it they think, apparently the oil filter housing was cracked which is where the oil was coming from, they've ordered a replacement part which should've been at the garage on Tuesday this week, then it was today, I've had a call from the garage, it's on back order but should be with them on Monday. I'll give you all an update later next week, Simon.

·
Registered
472 Posts
CactusMan said:
Hi all, just an update on my cactus oil leak. The garage have got to the bottom of it they think, apparently the oil filter housing was cracked which is where the oil was coming from, they've ordered a replacement part which should've been at the garage on Tuesday this week, then it was today, I've had a call from the garage, it's on back order but should be with them on Monday. I'll give you all an update later next week, Simon.
Always nice when you get to the bottom of a problem, hopefully it will put this to bed. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts