Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi it's me again. So I want to know if anyone's 1.6 Blue hdi uses oil. Got the car back from the garage on Friday. With I presume an engine full of oil. I didn't actually check it. Done around 200miles over the weekend. Checked it this morning and it's half way on the dipstick. Now I've been driving 30 years and have owned several cars, none have ever used oil. I'm guessing either the oil leak isn't mended or I've purchased a Friday afternoon car that will always have problems. I will ring my Citroën dealer today to see if they know anything.. I'll keep you posted. Simon.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It's difficult to judge if you didn't check when you got it back. You really have no idea if the level has gone down. And are you checking it cold and on a level surface?

·
Registered
626 Posts
As mentioned above. Park the car level and leave to stand for at least an hour or two. Once cool take a reading from the dip stick and frequently monitor. As long as the level does not go above Max and below Min you are ok.

As my previous posts - if you are loosing oil through a leak then you will be able to see evidence of where this is coming from in and around the engine - oil filter still?

If it is burning oil then you are advised not to drive the car and get it to a Citroen Dealer for further diagnosis. Oil in the combustion chamber on a Diesel can potentially be catastrophic.

As to using oil, no my HDi Blue engine oil level hasn't moved since it was last serviced.

Primekart said:
You have an oil level check at startup. What does it show?
Unless non HDi Blue models are different, we don't have an oil level indicator as such (unlike e.g. older C4s) and only have an "Oil OK or Not OK" indicator...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The garage are telling me it's only supposed to register half way on the dipstick. Apparently you fill the engine. Some of the oil goes to the dpf filter leaving half way up the stick. I've never known a car run this way.
I don't seem to have any signs of a leak so maybe they're right.

·
Registered
626 Posts
CactusMan said:
The garage are telling me it's only supposed to register half way on the dipstick. Apparently you fill the engine. Some of the oil goes to the dpf filter leaving half way up the stick. I've never known a car run this way.
I don't seem to have any signs of a leak so maybe they're right.
That is not (technically) correct.

Engine oil and "DPF oil" are two different things.

The lubricating oil in the engine can be anywhere between MIN and MAX. It can be on MIN, it can be on MAX...these are the specified MIN and MAX quantities that engine needs to operate without damage to your engine. Anything less or more will cause damage.

If the oil level is between MIN and MAX then it is ok. If the level moves down over short duration - time or mileage - then you have an issue and will require investigation.

DPF oil used to be fitted to older Peugeots/Citroens (called EOYLS) and was a small pouch of sticky oily liquid that was injected into the Particulate Filter on diesels and was used as a catalyst to burn off the sooty exhaust particles and containments. Your HDiBlue uses a more modern variant of this called AdBlue which can be maintained by the owner and is a blue liquid held in a tank under the rear spare wheel well. The fluid is injected into the exhaust again to catalyse pollutants and particulates.

If the Engine oil was injected and used in this instance you would likely have a very smelly and smoky exhaust amongst creating other issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.