Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as I am looking at a Cactus BlueHDi as a replacement for my trusty but well used Corsa driving school car. I thought I would appeal to any ADis on here who use a Cactus for any information or input they may have. For example, the lack of reach adjustment for the steering wheel, how are the manoeuvres coped with? Real life MPG? Also, as school cars rack the mileage up ( about 40000pa for me ), any feedback from members who may have put some miles on their cars would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Registered
One for Cloud9 ;)

Registered
I've seen a couple in West London, both so far with 15" steel wheels.

Cannot comment on suitability in terms of mileage or addition of dual controls.

Visibility is quite good though perhaps slightly limited for reverse around a corner (first car I've had with camera and city park pack).

I'm 5' 6" and tend to wear boots rather than shoes, the only problem that I find with reach is that I am keeping the seat slightly further forward that I normally would due to the positioning of the DNR buttons so find right foot space slightly cramped and think that at rest position the brake pedal is slightly higher than the accelerator. all fine if wearing shoes rather than boots.

Assuming that you are a manual instructor this would not be an issue but given choice I would prefer repositioning of the gear buttons rather than adjustable reach on the steering wheel.

Registered
I can also say that I've seen two driving-school Cacti in St Albans in recent months. Popular for price/package or because of suitability, I couldn't say. But I can say that my wife who decides such things found a DS3 awful to drive yet adores the driving position of the Cactus (hence the purchase) and she's a very fussy mare.

Registered
I'm a recently passed new driver, I can unequivocally say, it's a great car to drive, the slightly higher driving position ( although this can be altered up or down) is a great plus.
It's light and nippy, economical, cheap to buy too!
I learned in a Peugeot, and it was too low, the Cactus is so much better, and now, 2 months into owning the Cactus I love it, and find any opportunity to get out to drive it.

Registered
I've seen a couple of instructors in and around Kettering. As the son of a driving instructor, I would say it's more than suitable. My father teaches in a polo and he gave the cactus the once over when I got it. The angle of the passenger footwell although quite steep should be fine for dual controls. He liked the visibility and has even put his mark on it with the blu-tak to aid any reversing (I don't have the camera pack). Running costs are very favourable. Only concern he has is that he's tried the French cars before (205, 306) and still bets on German engineering. That said, he's seriously considering it when the time comes to change. Citroen are still doing the 24 hour test drive as far as I know, and even giving away a two night hotel stay when you take the test drive. Worth giving it a go and see what you make of it I say.

Registered
Miteshthanki said:
He liked the visibility and has even put his mark on it with the blu-tak to aid any reversing
Go on - I'm curious. What's the Blu-Tac trick? :idea:

Registered
SiliconS said:
Miteshthanki said:
He liked the visibility and has even put his mark on it with the blu-tak to aid any reversing
Go on - I'm curious. What's the Blu-Tac trick? :idea:
About half way along the rear passenger window as an alignment point for reversing around a corner?

(I'm probably wrong!)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all, many thanks for the replies.
In no particular order, spooky that 2 were seen in St Albans, as I live in Luton, just up the road. No Cactus driving school cars in Luton, so far!
Another coincidence, the Polo is another car I am considering, being put off by the major DPF problems the car seems to have, cant spend the time, going off for a 15 minutes blast to trigger a re-gen.
Will look into the 24 hour test drive, would give me the chance to let some real students have a sit in the car, try it for size. I have students that range from 5 foot to 6.5 foot tall!
The Blu-Tac is used by some instructors as a reference point to mark the "point of turn" for the corner reverse. You may also see some driving school cars with some Blu-Tac about half-way along the front passenger door, as a reference point for the bay-park. I have seen some cars with a range of different coloured stickers around the car, marking each students own individual reference point.
Very pleased to hear that it seems to be a car that new drivers feel confident in, one thing I noticed on the test drive is that you can actually see the end of the bonnet and both front wings.
Any other information gratefully received. If I go for one, will keep everyone up to date on any surprises that crop up with the miles.
Thanks

Registered
If it helps a yellow and black driving school cactus drove past us this evening as we were walking home so that is three so far that I have seen in the Ealing / Acton area.

Registered
I've been using the blue HDi Cactus since last September as my training vehicle - definitely the best car I've taught in :) Like you, I had some concerns - the lack of reach on the steering wheel, no rev counter etc. but it really hasn't been an issue. Visibility reversing is not the best due to the high back shelf and wide rear pillars, but the camera helps a lot in this respect, so definitely worth going for the Flair. Since last fill up 300 miles ago the trip computer reads 60 mpg. That's mainly teaching with some private mileage as well. Overall mpg shows 58.7 (maybe those figures are optimistic, but generally I get best part of 500 miles from a tank before i'm looking to fill up)
Driving wise, it's a very light clutch so very beginner-friendly! My advice is take it for a decent test drive - my local dealer let me have it for an afternoon.
All in all, I've been very happy!

Hope that helps - if you want to PM me for more info, then please feel free :)

Registered
Just found this on my Facebook ;)

Attachments

Registered
Well there's plenty of head room for the tall ones and good seat adjustment for the small ones. It is a very easy car to drive but so I'm sure are many cars these days. You feel like you are slightly higher up but it's a bit of an illusion as the roof line is barely an inch or so higher than our Peugeot 207SW.

If I see one of the 'school' cars again I'll make a note who the company name and pass it on.

BTW, in terms of mpg, overall average on ours from new (5,450 since start March) is 47mpg. A thrash to Gatwick and back last night was measured at 54mpg - petrol 110 Flair.

Registered
Was out on my bike yesterday morning, and saw a red Driving school Cactus in Harrow.
Good thing about the Cactus, is that it will teach you good clutch control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts