Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a longish trip today and have to say I'm very impressed with 50mpg, however, I have a gripe with the sat nav.....

I tried to key in a postcode in Birmingham and it just wouldn't let me. I tried with and without a space but the numbers/letters I needed were faded out. In the end I had to use my phone which was a bit of a pain. On the way home, I had no audio for the sat nav which was a nuisance as I was distracted looking at the screen. :?

Is there a way to switch of the predictive when entering a postcode, and does anyone know why my audio failed to work?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I quite often use Google navigation on my iPhone in preference to the built in Satnav. If you want the navigation voice (with or without radio etc.) plug the phone in to the USB socket on the dash BEFORE starting the engine. If you plug it in with the engine running, it defaults to the Music app.

As I usually want either the radio or just the navigation instructions I always do this. It took me a while to realise why it sometimes worked and sometimes didn't....

I have a black usb cable running from the socket to my phone holder which is mounted on a disc stuck to the driver's air vent. Works a treat.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Page 266
Put post code in "City" box It automatically discards redundant letters.
I shall have to get an update otherwise I won't be able to find my way to my newly built home :(

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
If your house is newly built, it could be a couple of years before it appears on the satnav maps.....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Dadioglasgow said:
If your house is newly built, it could be a couple of years before it appears on the satnav maps.....
:(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cactus4us said:
Page 266
Put post code in "City" box It automatically discards redundant letters.
I shall have to get an update otherwise I won't be able to find my way to my newly built home :(
I was trying to fine my way to a car park so I can only imagine that's why, because it wasn't a residential address.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello all!
Am the proud owner of a Cactus Flair since June...
The car is fantastic, but the Sat Nav is not very intuitive. Last week, my wife went on a trip to the West of Ireland. After about 15 minutes, sitting in the driveway, she gave up on trying to programme her destination into the car's system, and programmed the Google App on her Android phone. She had a USB cable and assumed this would charge her phone as she made the journey, listening to the phone's voice directions. However, this assumption turned out to be incorrect, the phone was not charging on the journey, and as a result the phone stopped just short of the destination. My iPhone does charge on this socket, so I don't understand why an Android phone will not charge on the car's USB socket. Is there any way to run a phone's GPS on the car's Screen - it is such a shame that the car's system seems so different or incompatible with other commonly used navigation systems on the smartphones.
I don't have a printed car manual, and find that using the onscreen manual is not a real option for trying to programme the navigation system - you just can't toggle between the different applications in the car.
We are building up a list of incomplete or incorrect destinations, we save places of interest, but cannot find them again - a very frustrating system.
Any suggestions from those who have managed to conquer it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
1 - I have now given up largely on the inbuilt satnav and use Google maps on my iPhone 6. It charges OK en route from the USB socket - even when using Google... However, you may have to plug in a 2.1A charger to the 12V socket if your phone has a high drain.

2 - Trying to navigate to a location is just so much simpler using Google - type in the destination and it finds it... Also the Google ETA is very much more accurate - especially if you select traffic in the menu.

G

·
This is what I posted in another thread.

"I personally believe the sat nav leaves a lot to be desired, it will get you from a to b but not as efficiently as a stand alone or an app like Waze or Google Maps on a phone."

·
Registered
265 Posts
Pvanv said:
......She had a USB cable and assumed this would charge her phone as she made the journey, listening to the phone's voice directions. However, this assumption turned out to be incorrect, the phone was not charging on the journey, and as a result the phone stopped just short of the destination.
This isn't solely with the Cactus. I had a Toyota Avensis with the same issue using the cigarette lighter socket. The problem is with the available current through the socket - either USB or lighter. Having the SatNav app running on your phone there just isn't enough juice to run that and keep ahead of the charging, so it will slowly drain the battery.

It might be that the iPhone requires less current to charge it which would explain why it worked for you. So really its the phone & car problem :)

What you could do is to get a cigarette lighter adaptor with a higher current output, however these restrictions are there for a reason so check out its okay first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, I now have two 12V socket chargers, one iPhone, one Android, in the glovebox.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can enter your destination via the map option can be quick and easy, especially if you know where your going to. (if you know what I mean)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
We have used the cars sat-nav often on all sorts of trips and its always worked brilliantly. We even went to an address's were we were told we would not be able to get to using any sat-nav and would need to print out a route.... Got there no problem at all..... Maybe we are just lucky

G

·
Mine will certainly get me to my destination and probably on areas I'dont know I would be none the wiser of the best route unless planning beforehand, but on journeys I am familiar with where I don't really need the sat nav, on checking the route on the Cactus it does want to send me some weird and odd ways. It also tells me to turn left or right way after having done so after following the route on the screen.

As I said it will get me to my destination which is its main objective.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Where the Cactus satnav fails is in the ability to navigate to a POI. In Google maps, all you have to do is type the name of the shop, hotel etc and the general location - even that is not always necessary if it is not too far away... Navigating to a POI where you don't have a fairly precise location is not intuitive in the Cactus - I normally give up and revert to Google....

I also concur with the previous post that it does get you there, but often chooses the most bizarre route to get you there... This is very noticeable when your journey contains a local area where you know the roads well. Also the ETA is usually off by a large margin on a journey of any length.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
One thing I do like and I only noticed recently is if you have something like car parks shown on your maps (or shops etc) and you press on the symbol for it on the screen it will give you some brief info and offer you to navigate to it. Very handy when finding parking somewhere

1 - 17 of 17 Posts