Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced there stock aerial with a shark fin?

Just wondering how it would affect the dab system ?

·
Registered
626 Posts
No, but I have tried a small bee sting aerial.

DAB performance was 'ok' but as soon as you come alongside an articulated lorry, double decker bus or under pylons you loose signal...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm frustrated with the DAB signal dropping. The quality is so much better than FM yet on DAB I keep getting either 1-2 seconds of silence every minute of music or complete loss of signal. I know that its a problem with where you are and surroundings but frankly it a pile.

I cant believe other car users with DAB have put up with this over the past few years its been "standard" in cars so perhaps my car is particularly bad. Currently Id place it under the heading of "not fit for purpose".

·
Registered
709 Posts
Adrian said:
I'm frustrated with the DAB signal dropping. The quality is so much better than FM yet on DAB I keep getting either 1-2 seconds of silence every minute of music or complete loss of signal. I know that its a problem with where you are and surroundings but frankly it a pile.

I cant believe other car users with DAB have put up with this over the past few years its been "standard" in cars so perhaps my car is particularly bad. Currently Id place it under the heading of "not fit for purpose".
A few years ago we were being told that DAB would replace all FM services by about 2015, but that hasn't happened - I believe for the very problem that you are experiencing - with DAB only, a reliable car radio service coverage would not be achieved over much of the UK.

In France there are several old fashioned Long Wave AM broadcasting stations still maintained to overcome coverage problems, for admittedly a rather larger coverage area than the UK.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Adrian said:

Out of interest Adrian, what area are you usually travelling through and what are your preferred DAB stations that you have trouble with?
I have seen in other forums that some Ford drivers have similar comments as yours, and mention other car makes that they believe always seem to have better reception, but obviously that depends on location and station being received.
When you lose DAB are you automatically switched to the FM version of the station, or isn't there one?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I generally travel the same route each day which is M4 between Reading & Maidenhead and then A404 to/from High Wycombe, a total of 25 miles each way. Its still early days for the DAB stuff for me though as often I'll listen to an Audiobook on Bluetooth, but I have occasionally listened to some DAB stations called "Arrow" which seems to play a good bunch of music and "LBC".

I know LBC has an FM alternative but am unsure about Arrow, nor where its located. For sure LBC doesn't manage to reprogram itself to the next best signal - in fact I see the "searching...." text in the display and nothing ever seems to be found, so its like total loss of signal everywhere. I suppose its not unreasonable to assume that driving down in to the valley at High Wycombe the signal is going to be lost but I feel it happens elsewhere too that I cant say is due to landscape issues.

Its unfortunate really. Once you've listened to music on DAB its just not the same going back to FM lol.

·
Registered
626 Posts
We went down to Dorset last week and the DAB signal in general compared to South Glos is chalk and cheese. The signal in Dorset was generally very poor with many drop outs even around principle towns and listening to major BBC transmissions (6Music)....so much so for the first time we switched back to FM since having the car.

I think there is every year a major retune of the DAB frequencies as this seems to coincide with the appearance of new stations and retune requirements. Here in the SW the sign is that the DAB radio that hasn't moved but works happily starts to play up due to weak signal...this certainly coincided with weak signals shown on the Car DAB Signal straight graphic. Then low and behold a week or so later Absolute has a channel re jig and a other new channels crop up.

Unfortunately no amount of retuning gets rid of Steve Wright and his "Serious Jockin' ".... :evil:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Adrian,
It seems that The Arrow is a London coverage station in DAB block 11B with transmitter at Croydon.
Including a local DAB relay at High Wycombe, signal coverage extends towards, but doesn't reach, Reading.
There is no listing of an FM version of this station.

LBC should be different since it now has National Coverage status in DAB block 11D, but there also exists LBC
London News which is (not surprisingly) just for London, in DAB block 12A. The national coverage is also available as an FM station at 97.3 MHz.

You may have set the following, but according to the manual, to enable the car radio to provide automatic DAB/FM handover when DAB is weak, you have to select "Media" on the screen, then go to secondary page, then on this page select "Settings", followed by selecting "Radio". Finally, there is the selection of "DAB/FM auto tracking".

According to the manual, subsequently :
"If the "DAB" station being listened to is not available on "FM" ("DAB/FM" option greyed out), or "DAB / FM auto
tracking" is not activated, the sound will cut out while the digital signal is too weak."

That route you describe, between High Wycombe - Reading, is one that we sometimes travel, so next time I'll see if we get similar dropouts of those DAB stations...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Adrian, you might be interested to compare your LBC DAB listening experience with below, which I found on the web.

(Note that LBC national coverage is carried by the Digital One 11D DAB multiplex, along with various other stations
such as Magic etc. )

From another forum = (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055558)
Dated February 2015

"I had to take a business trip yesterday up from Bristol to London. Thought as I was given a nice car for the day
to listen to Magic on DAB all the way.
Well I was really shocked along the M4 just how poor reception is. Started off ok but got steadily worse. Huge gaps
with no signal. Most noticeable was between Swindon and Reading. Dropping in an out all the time. In one place it
disappeared for nearly ten minutes.
I left it on just to see what it was like.
Digital One has been around for some years. I know more new transmitters are planned at Membury etc..

I have two questions to ask
1. How are people expected to take DAB seriously when even the national commercial MUX is so poor?
2. Why aren't Digital One made to get this sorted out and quickly???!!!"

"It's a VW Passat. Brand new! No particular make of radio but built in. Aerial in the back window like many cars
now.....FM/AM are great reception...!"
On the way back on the M4 I listened to WAVE 105 for a good bit so not lacking in FM reception!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts