Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Curriemaster, I'm one of the others experiencing this same issue however it is rather intermittent. It happened in 3rd on the way home from work tonight and a good few weeks again in 3rd. I'm guessing you use high octane fuel like myself? I've tried v power and costco 99 and both have not caused the issue to go away. After a bit of reading around on the internet I'm now thinking that using 99 ron fuel may just be the cause of the intermittent misfire. From what I read the higher the ron number the less volatile the fuel mixture is and is designed for engines with a higher compression ratio. The past few timws my car had misfired, I'm thinking I've gone into 3rd too quick and put my foot down and maybe just maybe the fuel I'm using isn't igniting fast enough. Anyways I have 90 miles left in the tank and on my next fill up I'm going to use 95 ron as I'm sure in the manual it states 95-98. I'm doing a long drive to the lake district this weekend so will post in here when I'm back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I've bought a brand new Cactus Flair automatic 2 weeks ago and I've had that shuddering too. Acceleration moderately the box will change say for 2nd to 3rd and instead of going faster it starts acting like it's running out of fuel, but within a second or two it's back to normal, it's done it coming off my drive too!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Most of the reports of shuddering / power loss seem to be for the 110 petrol engine, so your report would be slightly more informative if you would tell us about the engine in your vehicle...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
My engine is the 110bhp model and has done 450 miles. The issue has happened about 5 times since I've had it

Maybe significant in that it only happens immediately after changing gear, 3rd to 4th to 5th etc and once from standstill, I put it into drive ie 1st gear after reversing off my drive then it started spluttering momentarily before returning to normal...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Probably not connected in the slightest but the auto box is less smooth changing in the short time I've had it and easily gets caught out at slower speeds and becomes jerky. Also changing from say 4th to 3rd etc produces a slight nodding dog effect and that's me the driver. EAT6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Cactusboy said:
Maybe significant in that it only happens immediately after changing gear, 3rd to 4th to 5th etc and once from standstill, I put it into drive ie 1st gear after reversing off my drive then it started spluttering momentarily before returning to normal...
I agree the apparent correlation of gear change/ power loss does seem relevant in your case...
I wonder if the effect occurs if you take control of the gear shifting , with manual paddles, which I assume you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
There aren't any paddles you can change manually using the gear lever

It's happening at low revs, as it's new I've not pushed it much but when I've done so there weren't any issues

Has anyone had this problem with the manual gearbox?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Cactusboy said:
There aren't any paddles you can change manually using the gear lever

It's happening at low revs, as it's new I've not pushed it much but when I've done so there weren't any issues
In your case it might just be characteristic of the vehicle - see these short extracts of recent online reviews of 2018 Cactus with EAT6 :

What car review
"Thankfully, the automatic 'box available with the Puretech 110 engine is for the most part fairly smooth, but will occasionally jerk when
shifting into a higher gear when you're off the accelerator. It can also be very slow to change gear, although the manual mode is fairly responsive."

Autoexpress review
"Refinement is decent, too, despite the occasional shudder still being evident when you catch the gearbox unaware at low speed."

These comments seem to be similar to your experience...

However, you might be interested in reading a thread about similar issues with the older ETG gearbox and a suggested method of "resetting" its operation
https://www.cactusforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2715&p=18307
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
davew said:
Cactusboy said:
There aren't any paddles you can change manually using the gear lever

It's happening at low revs, as it's new I've not pushed it much but when I've done so there weren't any issues
In your case it might just be characteristic of the vehicle - see these short extracts of recent online reviews of 2018 Cactus with EAT6 :

What car review
"Thankfully, the automatic 'box available with the Puretech 110 engine is for the most part fairly smooth, but will occasionally jerk when
shifting into a higher gear when you're off the accelerator. It can also be very slow to change gear, although the manual mode is fairly responsive."

Autoexpress review
"Refinement is decent, too, despite the occasional shudder still being evident when you catch the gearbox unaware at low speed."

These comments seem to be similar to your experience...

However, you might be interested in reading a thread about similar issues with the older ETG gearbox and a suggested method of "resetting" its operation
https://www.cactusforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2715&p=18307
Thanks for the info. As it's a conventional torque converter box I'm assuming it has little in common with the automated manual.

My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Cactusboy said:
My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!
Too true we do, mine did it again this morning , without warning and against most of the `it won`t work in these conditions` circumstances..Damn thing..You have my sympathies Cactusboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Cactusboy said:
My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!
I don't follow this - your quote above is; "My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random..."

And yet you wrote on 7th July "it only happens immediately after changing gear, 3rd to 4th to 5th etc "

I can't reconcile your words "totally random" with "it only happens after changing gear...".

Is it the heat?

And BTW from previous threads/postings I have been under the impression that Paully's issue is to do with the ECO mode stopping the engine at the wrong moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
davew said:
[

And BTW from previous threads/postings I have been under the impression that Paully's issue is to do with the ECO mode stopping the engine at the wrong moment.
Sympathising with Cactusboy actually...Doesnt matter why it just `conks`, its disconcerting and sometimes quite dangerous when it does. If yours doesn`t be grateful..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
"My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!"
Posted by Cactusboy - Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 pm

My Cactus is the first car I have driven where I haven't lost the power steering when the engine was stationary. Especially when freewheeling with the engine turned off did I still have full power steering. Before anyone criticises me, I know this isn't advisable as it affects the braking system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
davew said:
Cactusboy said:
My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random and could cause you to lose power at a critical moment BUT as those with "stop/start" will know when it cuts out the power steering does too!!!!
I don't follow this - your quote above is; "My main issue is the occasional cutting out, yes it's irritating and totally random..."

And yet you wrote on 7th July "it only happens immediately after changing gear, 3rd to 4th to 5th etc "

I can't reconcile your words "totally random" with "it only happens after changing gear...".

Is it the heat?

And BTW from previous threads/postings I have been under the impression that Paully's issue is to do with the ECO mode stopping the engine at the wrong moment.
It happens randomly immediately after completing a gear change, I can't explain it any better.

Just for info it's not happened recently, but there might have been a slight trace of it today...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I seem to be having the same issue, though I'm with BlueHDi 100 S&S ETG6.
I just had the car checked at the local Citroen, but they have no idea what it might be. They also said any issues with the spark plugs would cause an error message, but the diagnostics came out clean. In any case, the issue with the spark plugs might not even be relevant for the diesel engines.
Has anyone found what might be causing it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Have read through all posts on this issue because my C4 Cactus 1.2 Puretech Feel (110PS) shudders on speedy acceleration in 5th gear and usually around 100 KPH. Used a petrol engine cleaner like Cataclean but made no difference. Assume that there is no solution found and that we just have to grin and bear it. Only hope it never leaves me hung out to dry when overtaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Greetings from Bulgaria, fellow Cactus owners. I bought a 2016 Cactus with 110 PureTech engine and so far I absolutely love the car (coming from an old C4 Coupe). Sadly, it also has this shuddering/loss of power/engine misfire issue when accelerating fast.

I still have about 2.5 years of warranty so I'll be leaving the car in the local dealer's repair shop soon; however, reading this topic, I'm afraid technicians here wouldn't really know how to fix this issue :/ Fuel/oil in my country is notoriously bad, that's a real problem for some delicate French engines...

Anyway, I was doing some tests recently and here's what I found (may be applicable to your 110 PureTech cars too?):

- Turning OFF the stop/start system (ECO mode) seems to reduce the times this loss of power occurs significantly - but it still happens.
- The loss of power can happen in any gear, the only thing in common seems to be a more aggressive push on the throttle.
- I can hear a metallic rattling most of the times this happens, and on some occasions it may happen twice when accelerating in 5th gear.

Can anyone check if driving with ECO mode off actually helps? I know it's not really even a "workaround", but that may still be a clue. I'll update you after I get my car from the dealer in the near future and what they think about the issue.
 
41 - 60 of 65 Posts
Top