Citroen C4 Cactus Crossover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm still getting used to my C4 Cactus and apart from it not wanting to go into reverse quite often, my only real complaint is that the stereo won't go very loud before the sound gets distorted, especially if there's remotely any bass. That's fine when then windows are closed, but with the windows down, or on a motorway the sound doesn't really go up as loud as I'd like without it sounding awful.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and if there is anything that can be done to improve it, either with settings or an upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

Adam

·
Registered
262 Posts
My understanding is that the Flair upgrades the sound system to an Arcam unit with six speakers. The Feel has a standard unit with four speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't really understand what the Feel part meant when I got it, but now I'm starting to see that it's the version that has very little of the good stuff!

I'm up for upgrading if possible, but if it would void the warranty then I'll have to wait a while. Out of interest does anyone know whether something like that would void it? Seems a bit of a grey area looking at the docs?

Many thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can upgrade your system without problem. just need to cable from stereo to rear doors and ask citroen to 'open' your's system menu in the radio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I have a Flair with the manufacturers upgraded stereo and have found it distorts at only moderate volume levels and the Base is quite poor. Having had the car a year now and decided I want to keep it long term as I have just learnt how to achieve 70+ mpg on my regular 60 mile daily round trip, I have decided to invest in a new power amp, new front speakers and a sub woofer in the boot (Huets of Shoreham will be doing the work). Work is to be done in August and I will report back on findings, but excited about the possible outcome.

In the mean time I was advised to adjust the front/back ratio to increase the proportion coming from the back but then at the same time increase the overall volume to compensate. This certainly has improved the overall sound experience and quality.

Also does anyone have an 'easy to follow' way of getting my itunes music out of my iMac and into the Jukebox as the Apple files aren't compatible?

·
Registered
62 Posts
cactusjack said:
Ours is the 6 speaker system and is really very good, can't fault it.
I also have a Flair ... and we must be listening to different music! There's a clear cut-off in the bass response, with a frequency below which the system just doesn't seem to even try and make a noise, and a wooden quality to the mid-range frequencies. The system doesn't go loud enough for motorway driving on noisy surfaces without distorting (and I'm talking Radio 4 rather than Radiohead here), and won't go above about 3/4 volume listening to some hip-hop or pop tracks over Bluetooth without clear distortion.

I guess it depends on one's expectation, but almost every other car I've owned has had a better hi-fi than my Cactus! "Really very good" is far from my opinion of the system. :)

I just found this thread as I Googled for speaker upgrade options to see whether I could improve things for moderate cost. ivor - I'd be interested to see how you get on with your upgrade, and the associated cost.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
SiliconS said:
cactusjack said:
I also have a Flair ... and we must be listening to different music! There's a clear cut-off in the bass response, with a frequency below which the system just doesn't seem to even try and make a noise, and a wooden quality to the mid-range frequencies. The system doesn't go loud enough for motorway driving on noisy surfaces without distorting (and I'm talking Radio 4 rather than Radiohead here), and won't go above about 3/4 volume listening to some hip-hop or pop tracks over Bluetooth without clear distortion.

I guess it depends on one's expectation, but almost every other car I've owned has had a better hi-fi than my Cactus! "Really very good" is far from my opinion of the system. :)

I just found this thread as I Googled for speaker upgrade options to see whether I could improve things for moderate cost. ivor - I'd be interested to see how you get on with your upgrade, and the associated cost.
Well we have the flair to and I have had a lot of cars with very good stereos including subs etc and the Cactus is very good in my opinion. It does depend on the music source but once I tinkered with it a bit its punchy, loud and clear. My wife and kids also love it and I can't argue

·
Registered
626 Posts
The OP doesn't identify the source of the music - USB, iPod...? and invariably this can be the cause of the problem.

E.g. If you have an EQ setting on the iPod which is then distorted by the audio or EQ settings on the car...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have Feel with 4 speakers and I am also wondering if mounting rear speakers and/or active subwoofer (e.g. Alpine SWE-815) would void warranty.
I have called my dealer here in Prague and they told me it would void warranty unless we mount Citroen 9711 GG hi-fi module.

Not very happy with bass level after volume level 20 :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
JohnYoung said:
once I tinkered with it a bit its punchy, loud and clear. My wife and kids also love it and I can't argue
JohnYoung, would you mind sharing the settings you're using please? Maybe i could improve mine with the same settings. Certainly would appreciate some tips if you wouldn't mind please.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
SiliconS said:
JohnYoung said:
once I tinkered with it a bit its punchy, loud and clear. My wife and kids also love it and I can't argue
JohnYoung, would you mind sharing the settings you're using please? Maybe i could improve mine with the same settings. Certainly would appreciate some tips if you wouldn't mind please.
Yes of course I'll make a note of them tomorrow for you

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
SiliconS said:
JohnYoung said:
Sorry for the later reply I kept forgetting to check.

My settings are

Bass - 4

Treble 4

Loudness ON

Balance - For all passengers

·
Registered
120 Posts
SiliconS said:
cactusjack said:

I think the Arkansys system was a cost-option. I have to agree with cactusjack: it's very good. I've had cars with excellent integrated systems (JBL, Mcintosh) and I'd say the Cactus Arkansys is very good. Almost no distortion, bass well-controlled.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello Guys,

I've also experienced the low quality in bass on my top-spec cactus. :( Lucky i have a friend at the dealership, will get an upgrade of audio system for a reasonable Cost. :) I am not one for deep loud base, but i wanna hear it crisp, even on low volume :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
mertozelci said:
I have feel edition with only front speakers.
And I got this..
Will be mounted soon, good bye warranty :cry:
I really would like it if you post a few pics on the installation procedure cos I have been thinking of a bass box myself.

Wiring at the back of tablet, where you passed the wires from, etc, etc.

We do have a big enough 'boot'.. so why not...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually it will be installed by a technician friend in citroen service.
But I will try to take photos and post here for sure.
Hope it will not be mess..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.